Chat program

marcyp06

Reaction score
I am transcribing for a deaf high school sophomore currently. Its been a month now and for the first three weeks I was basically just typing up notes, printing them, and giving them to her at the end of the day. This week we finally got a dual laptops, with the idea being that I can type what is said in class as it is happening and she can read it real-time.

The program they decided to use? Skype.

Not quite what I had in mind! But for the purposes, at the moment, its at least a step in the right direction I guess. However we are hoping to find something so she can see the words AS I am typing them, rather than having to wait until the end of a sentence or thought when I hit "enter" and the message sends.

Can anyone think of a chat program that doesnt just show that you are typing, but WHAT you are typing, before you send it?

The other option is a screen-share but we are trying to avoid that, because she doesnt need to see other things I am doing on the computer (googling transcripts for a video they are watching or finding excepts for stories they are reading aloud, or checking my email.)

Anyways, if anyone has input that would be awesome. The student is very bright, she is on honor roll and a cheerleader, but she has become very frustrated with school recently because she is having to work so much harder than everyone else. I want to do MY part in making sure accommodations are met to the best extent possible.

I am transcribing for a deaf high school sophomore currently. Its been a month now and for the first three weeks I was basically just typing up notes, printing them, and giving them to her at the end of the day. This week we finally got a dual laptops, with the idea being that I can type what is said in class as it is happening and she can read it real-time.

The program they decided to use? Skype.

Not quite what I had in mind! But for the purposes, at the moment, its at least a step in the right direction I guess. However we are hoping to find something so she can see the words AS I am typing them, rather than having to wait until the end of a sentence or thought when I hit "enter" and the message sends.

Can anyone think of a chat program that doesnt just show that you are typing, but WHAT you are typing, before you send it?

The other option is a screen-share but we are trying to avoid that, because she doesnt need to see other things I am doing on the computer (googling transcripts for a video they are watching or finding excepts for stories they are reading aloud, or checking my email.)

Anyways, if anyone has input that would be awesome. The student is very bright, she is on honor roll and a cheerleader, but she has become very frustrated with school recently because she is having to work so much harder than everyone else. I want to do MY part in making sure accommodations are met to the best extent possible.

If you get the training/certification, there is always CART:

CART Services - Captioning, Transcription Services for Realtime, Live, Prerecorded Events, Meetings, Programs

Look into a program called typewell. I don't know if it's only used locally or all over but it was what my transcriber used in my classes. We both had a laptop and could communicate back and forth in real time during class...she then also emailed me the transcription of each class afterwards.

Just an FYI - you should be able to set up screen share so it will only show a specific program (say "Word") and not anything else you might be doing in the background. Even free screen share software like screenleap provides "sharing options"

Hope that helps as it really would be a much better system

I have looked into Typewell but it takes a LOT to gain certification. Am still researching further. Will also look more into screen sharing settings.

At this point the student has only chosen to open her laptop twice in the past 3 weeks, so its really not an issue as I just type the notes and email them after class.

Back