Captions in cinemas

ExR

Reaction score
Is it true that if you go to a cinema, you can ask them to enable captions?

I know many cinemas schedule films with captions, but I'm not sure if you can ask for it to be enabled. I'm sure that would p*ss off many hearing people. :D

Nope, as far I know they schedule captioned films (mostly at stupid o'clock such as in the afternoon/late night mid week/ midday on sundays when most of deaf people DO actually work/have family!) probably 1/2 films per week (they only show it once or twice then move the reel to another cinema)

In case you didn't know about this, FYI - Your Local Cinema .com - Subtitled and Audio Described cinema

There is technology available that allows the movie theater to project the captions onto a special receiver that you pick up from customer service and fits into your drink holder.

It is a semi-transparent material that you can position in your field of view under the screen where your closed captions would normally be. You can call and ask your local movie theater about it. I can't remember what it is called right now, but I will try to get back here and let you know.

There is technology available that allows the movie theater to project the captions onto a special receiver that you pick up from customer service and fits into your drink holder.

It is a semi-transparent material that you can position in your field of view under the screen where your closed captions would normally be. You can call and ask your local movie theater about it. I can't remember what it is called right now, but I will try to get back here and let you know.

That's RWC (Rear Window Captioning) and they aren't really that great if you ask me. I prefer to have it on the screen, not on some sort of fiberglass thingy that you put in the cupholder.

That's RWC (Rear Window Captioning) and they aren't really that great if you ask me. I prefer to have it on the screen, not on some sort of fiberglass thingy that you put in the cupholder.

What? no place for a drink??? :(

I hear that RWC is helpful for people who can't see very well. they can increase or decrease the font size . don't know if it is true or not because I haven't been to a movie theater for years.

I find that RWC is much clearly but it'd difficult to keep it hold and loss the cup holder for drink.

Open Caption which is subtitle on the screen. But the poor appear in brightness area that cannot be readable. It's like 70-80% I could know what is going on. Sheesh

Prefer watch at home once movie release for home video or on rental.

What? no place for a drink??? :(

I hear that RWC is helpful for people who can't see very well. they can increase or decrease the font size . don't know if it is true or not because I haven't been to a movie theater for years.

You can't adjust the font size from what I know. It's just a fiberglass panel that you put next to you. You have to make sure that it reflects the captioning from the back of the room. If you want the font to be bigger, you have to sit closer to it.

I do not live in a deaf populated area.

I've tried attending CC movies in the past when I lived in WA, but the two times I've tried - "it doesn't work for the day." I did have the opportunity to use RVW once about a year ago. Took about 5 minutes of adjusting though. You can't really change positions unless you want to adjust the RVW.

Now-a-days, I get around this issue by watching subtitled foreign films or using CC hulu.

In terms of enabling CC - I think it would depend on how they are showing the movie. With a DVD, I can see it as an option. If they are still using movie reels (possibly to prevent illegal distribution of film), I imagine turning on CC would not be an option. I don't work in the movie/theater business though - so don't take my word of it.

In terms of enabling CC - I think it would depend on how they are showing the movie. With a DVD, I can see it as an option. If they are still using movie reels (possibly to prevent illegal distribution of film), I imagine turning on CC would not be an option. I don't work in the movie/theater business though - so don't take my word of it.

Actually, a lot of movie theatres are running digital projectors these days. There are still a lot of film projectors out there, but the digital projectors are already starting to take over the market.

Just found out that two local theaters have CC during the daytime. Pretty cool, but they only show 2 movies at a time in CC

In here (UK), there are scheduled subtitled films but as overthepond said, it's usually at inconvenient times. Smaller cinemas tend not to have captioned films, but larger ones more often than not do.

The last film I watched in the cinema had bad quality subtitles (it was a bit fuzzy and had a small shadow behind it). Needless to say, I just wait for the film to come out on DVD. It's just easier.

Is it true that if you go to a cinema, you can ask them to enable captions?

I have a related question. Being a (hearing) Otaku, and going to many anime conventions, I know they show Dubbed or Subbed (Subtitled) movies and/or anime shows. I've always wondered when they list "Dubbed Only" movies, whether or not they can subtitle it, if it's requested (I imagine they would, if someone was deaf/hoh, as they usually use DVDs). Just curious if anyone requested subtitles at an anime/otaku convention..

Anesthesia,

You could request someone to provide CART for the convention, but they would not have the permission of the creator/owner of the anime to add subtitles to it.

The equipment that is used to embed captions to streaming TV is not cheap, and not many people have the necessary equipment/expertise that is required for it.

I also do not know of anyone that creates subtitles in English from a different language at a convention. It would have to be translated into English first and then added to the anime as a subtitle.

Does that answer your question?

You can't adjust the font size from what I know. It's just a fiberglass panel that you put next to you. You have to make sure that it reflects the captioning from the back of the room. If you want the font to be bigger, you have to sit closer to it.

Yeah - the only way to increase or decrease the fonts for RWC is moving your physical location in the theatre ... the closer to the BACK of the theatre you sit the larger the captions will be.

For the drink holder - it the theatre isn't PACKED, I just "save" the seat next to me ... and then use the cup holder on one side for my drink and the cup holder on the other side to hold the RWC Reflector! - otherwise, if the drink is in a cup I'll just hold the drink , or slide it between the chair arm and my side/leg ... if the drink is in a plastic bottle etc, I just recap it (so it won't spill) and place it somewhere ... honestly it's WAY more important for me to be able to access the captions, than it is to have drinks and popcorn/junk etc during the movies anyway (and movie foods are SOOOO expensive unless you go on cheap night)

Back