Canadian internet relay ????

Anij

Reaction score
ok .. I'm sure this has been discussed a million times in the past but ...

I live in canada & I'm Hoh/Deaf ... I am able to use an amplified phone with my BTE - however (with the exception of a very very few people - ok actually 1 person) the phone isn't something that is "comfortable".
The truth is I'm 200% MORE comfortable using IM & TTY ... I've literally hung up from phone calls so frustrated that I've given myself a headache, and I'm on the verge of tears - I just HATE it. I have 'hearing speech' ... so when I talk on the phone everyone forgets how hard it is for me to understand what is being said :(

my home setup is fine ...

I have a Uniphone TTY - which I either use in amplifed phone mode, or in tty ( I don't ever use VCO) & and I use various IMs to stay in touch with my family and friends. :)

but work is kinda a communication nightmare ( though if you asked my co-workers they'd say I do fine ... hmmm what it really means is that I "fake it " well )

does anyone know if ANY of the internet relays , or the new ( to me ) IM based relays work within canada ????

The only IM based relay I found that didn't say that they refused canada based calls was AOL ??? but I don't know if that actaully means that they ACCEPT calls ... or if they just don't tell you until you call that the REFUSE to connect canadian based IPs ??

I'm looking for something that will allow calls from canada, to canada.

thanks

Nesmuth -

I went to the site and got
Sorry! You are not allowed to use this service; it is only available within the United States and its territories.

cental34 -

a few Internet relays will allow calls from canada to the USA, or from the USA to canada ... but I haven't found anything which will allow canada to canada calls.

:(

There's apparently no funding mechanism for internet relay for canada to canada calls. In other words, Nordia, a Canadian company, makes money because the FCC of the U.S. will let them -- but no Canadian law is making internet relay for canada happen.

Anij said:
Nesmuth -

I went to the site and got
Quote: Sorry! You are not allowed to use this service; it is only available within the United States and its territories.

How incompassonate of them.

Richard

Anij, hi there!
Sorry there hasn't been an answer to your question so far.....

However, I recall you saying that you have "hearing speech" but don't use VDO. I'm curious.....since you have good speech, why don't you use VCO?

Dennis said:
There's apparently no funding mechanism for internet relay for canada to canada calls. In other words, Nordia, a Canadian company, makes money because the FCC of the U.S. will let them -- but no Canadian law is making internet relay for canada happen.

So what's the solution for that?

Perhaps the memory of a Canadian protest a decade ago would be a good motivator of an idea how you can blow the horn on the lack of funding.

Richard

Attachments

• dacad54a.jpg
    dacad54a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
  • dacad54b.jpg
    dacad54b.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
  • dacad54c.jpg
    dacad54c.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 21
  • dacad54d.jpg
    dacad54d.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 20
cental34 said:
I figured that US Relay companies stopped allowing calls to and from Canada because the FCC stopped paying for them.

Since the internet is the big privacy blanket, my guess is that the FCC doesn't want to pay for "free calls" when they can't find out where they're originating from. They've never wanted to give anyone a free ride, but what can you do in the meantime? Ban all internet relay?

Nesmuth said:
So what's the solution for that?

Perhaps the memory of a Canadian protest a decade ago would be a good motivator of an idea how you can blow the horn on the lack of funding.

Richard

Sure, the Canadians can start their own protest. I'll cheer them on. They'd be better served by just ASKING in the first place.

Oh tha.... pictures

Protest which issues "Recoglized ASL and Teacher NOW" There was not issued Barriers...

Most of weak their teeth because not enough effort lot Deaf peoples who are not coming and protest enough. Needs more than hell lot lot lot Deaf people.. Gov't will realized how much population Deaf Canadians peoples. I was invovled protest issues Barriers around I say 90's sumth'n... Ever since protest so far???Noth'n That what their weak teeth not enough enpowder... SAD! I wish USA Deaf people could support Canadians' side will become stronger teeth.

Wonder why ADA has ... reason to support Disibitites.. Wha.. about canadian ??There's too weak have provide OAD.. *ahem*

Whatever has become of the Canadian Hearing Society (CHS). Heard they became too distracted over personal choices by their top leadership to become effective as community advocates.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Whatever has become of the Canadian Hearing Society (CHS). Heard they became too distracted over personal choices by their top leadership to become effective as community advocates.

Richard

Put it this way, my dear Richard, it's still a mess with CHS.

Deaf people in Canada struggle to get the basic rights for interpreting from CHS and much less their basic rights for advocacy. To live a privileged life like a Deaf American would be incredibly wonderful. Deaf Canadians hear such tales from Deaf Americans and believe me, Deaf Canadians do spin such thoughts to "move" south of the border. :shock:

Dennis said:
Sure, the Canadians can start their own protest. I'll cheer them on. They'd be better served by just ASKING in the first place.

Asking? With the legislature they got, "Pretty Please" is good as a long shot in the dark to be using to ask for funding. You have to be a lot louder than that.

Richard

Cookie Monster said:

Deaf people in Canada struggle to get the basic rights for interpreting from CHS and much less their basic rights for advocacy. To live a privileged life like a Deaf American would be incredibly wonderful. Deaf Canadians hear such tales from Deaf Americans and believe me, Deaf Canadians do spin such thoughts to "move" south of the border. :shock:

Oh yeah, I'm really frustrated with CHS. They limit the interpreting services to 2 hours most of the times. It can be really a problem, and I often have to ask to be put ahead of the people waiting so that I can get the services I need before the time's up.

I don't like to do that to people, but I have no choice because of CHS unwilling to extend their time length of services. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster

Deaf people in Canada struggle to get the basic rights for interpreting from CHS and much less their basic rights for advocacy. To live a privileged life like a Deaf American would be incredibly wonderful. Deaf Canadians hear such tales from Deaf Americans and believe me, Deaf Canadians do spin such thoughts to "move" south of the border.

Banjo said:
Oh yeah, I'm really frustrated with CHS. They limit the interpreting services to 2 hours most of the times. It can be really a problem, and I often have to ask to be put ahead of the people waiting so that I can get the services I need before the time's up.

I don't like to do that to people, but I have no choice because of CHS unwilling to extend their time length of services. :-/

So am I same here... *fusterate to get a hold an interpreter provide us* for needed... In London,Ontario (CHS has only 2 an intepreter but there have 2 freelance have not made cerficate yet) *sad*

Too many struggle to arrangement an interpreter must booked within 2 weeks advanced. (rolls)

Tousi,

I don't use VCO , because I'm just personally more comfortable typing & reading the conversation , and it's what I've always used.

I've also found that too many times when I'm talking to someone in person that they don't believe that I'm Hoh/deaf based on how I speak. I've used VCO 1 time, and the person I was calling, was pretty determined that we didn't "need this extra person butting in" ( meaning the CA). I don't want to get into a debate everytime I place a call.

I don't mind that to use a relay service from Canada as long as there are relay services that provide in USA. I don't like to use the service that came from Indian. Sorry. It's out of respect. Most India people are really too cheap.

Bullym0m said:
So am I same here... *fusterate to get a hold an interpreter provide us* for needed... In London,Ontario (CHS has only 2 an intepreter but there have 2 freelance have not made cerficate yet) *sad*

Too many struggle to arrangement an interpreter must booked within 2 weeks advanced. (rolls)

Yes, you are so correct about that Bullymom. Even for emergency interpreting services even at hospitals or any after hours (5 pm to 9 am) services, Deaf Canadians have to struggle to even contact OIS.

http://www.chs.ca/services/ois.html

They are even lucky enough to have an after hours interpreter show up at the hospital or any other needed emergency basis.

They limit the interpreting services to 2 hours most of the times. It can be really a problem, and I often have to ask to be put ahead of the people waiting so that I can get the services I need before the time's up.

Sometimes, CHS interpreters will inform you that their "slotted" time with you is up and they have to leave the appointment and you are stuck with no interpreting services at all. CHS interpreters do try to reschedule their next appointment or send a freelance one to their next one but if nothing is available, they do often leave your appointment to go to the next one.

webexplorer said:
I don't mind that to use a relay service from Canada as long as there are relay services that provide in USA. I don't like to use the service that came from Indian. Sorry. It's out of respect. Most India people are really too cheap.

Sorry, my post is not related your issue. I had a lousy sleep last night. I'm surprised about your situation.

Cookie Monster said:
Yes, you are so correct about that Bullymom. Even for emergency interpreting services even at hospitals or any after hours (5 pm to 9 am) services, Deaf Canadians have to struggle to even contact OIS.

http://www.chs.ca/services/ois.html

They are even lucky enough to have an after hours interpreter show up at the hospital or any other needed emergency basis.

Sometimes, CHS interpreters will inform you that their "slotted" time with you is up and they have to leave the appointment and you are stuck with no interpreting services at all. CHS interpreters do try to reschedule their next appointment or send a freelance one to their next one but if nothing is available, they do often leave your appointment to go to the next one.

Cookie Monster,

Indeed yes.. I have done and went hospital took me for 6 hours await for an intepreter... Damn shortage interpreter.... I'm glad my older son is okay as modrate seriouis and went well without an interpreter... I'm very caution read their hospital policy and etc etc... An interpreter arrived nearly finished the processing.. I was told what happend taking so long wait.... ER gave it up and do it for best interest my son's health.

Mine, I was wheeled in the hospital without an interpreter which ER staff knew an interpreter really wasting time and wait for comes in... ER staff already phoned emergency interpreter but most of time "shortage interpreter" Give me cut that crap! I managed w/ER staff and get along... least my husband willing help little interpret for me and ER Staff too.. Seems do well..

ER Staff spoke us issues an interpreter really not good service provides needs more than 110% back up... Why can't they hire freelance.. but CHS refused due their own policy regards of health protection.. ER staff felt that CHS is silly and picky! ER staff condiser get freelance interpreter closer to my homearea.. Don't give them damn about CHS.

Back