Canadian internet relay ????

Forgot to add about CHS.
Reason there isn't many interpreters: Lost of funding. Not only that, but in my area, if you have a child who is deaf or hoh, you have to go to Ottawa to get full time help, and Ottawa is an hour and a half away!
The government just won't help fund CHS and people won't give money TO CHS! Right now, my local CHS, which I've been doing my work placement with, is getting their major funding from the Lions Club. About 300 dollars this past month or 3000...I know it starts with 3.
Not CHS's fault, just the lack of funding to do anything.
-Krista

Forgot to add about CHS.
Reason there isn't many interpreters: Lost of funding. Not only that, but in my area, if you have a child who is deaf or hoh, you have to go to Ottawa to get full time help, and Ottawa is an hour and a half away!
The government just won't help fund CHS and people won't give money TO CHS! Right now, my local CHS, which I've been doing my work placement with, is getting their major funding from the Lions Club. About 300 dollars this past month or 3000...I know it starts with 3.
-Krista

It's tough when it's a non-profit organization sadly ....I remember in the 80's the Relay services was only from 9 to 5 pm Mon-Friday only.. and now look what we've come to.. it takes time.. as well we don't have enough interpreters to do the VRS in Canada... sadly..

Forgot to add about CHS.
-Krista

off the topic.. whoohoo you are a Timmie's baker!!!! is it a good and fun job to do?? I am Timmie's fan!! lol

off the topic.. whoohoo you are a Timmie's baker!!!! is it a good and fun job to do?? I am Timmie's fan!! lol
HAHA! It's an okay job, my co-workers are great with my hearing loss, they let me know when the oven is beeping and such. It's fun when you're not being hit on my truckers haha! I love it too...to an extent :giggle:
-Krista

HAHA! It's an okay job, my co-workers are great with my hearing loss, they let me know when the oven is beeping and such. It's fun when you're not being hit on my truckers haha! I love it too...to an extent :giggle:
-Krista

hahahahahah I've seen those truckers some are mmmmm lol.. well that's cool that the others are good to you smile... as long as you make it fun!! so did you have experience before being a baker?? lol I've always wanted to work there lol... but too chickened to do it cuz of the hours since I do have a day job.. just want to look for something that just a few hours a week...

Canadian VRS?

Its cool that VRS is allowed for Canada, but what about text relay version? I don't think I'd be able to use the VRS if I don't have a cam.

I'm stuck in the same boat as the original poster that created this thread. I can't use a normal phone, even if its LOUD, because my ears just don't process the syllables right. It sounds like gibberish. So I prefer to read and type when it comes to conversations.

I can tell you a [sarcastic tone] funny [normal tone] story. I had gotten one of those online text relay services--like Nextel6 or iprelay or siprelay, etc--and I happily gave my number around for people to enjoy using so they could call me instead of worrying about being online to talk to me. Well, my excitement turned into total crushout. My friends didn't want a relay-style service just to call me and dropped trying to communicate with me at all or just the occasional IMing, but my family totally dropped the relay service entirely since they wanted "a normal call" with me. Here's the kind of frequent whining I'd get from them... Note: words in caps are from their stronger emphasis being made in their voice whenever I would suck it up and give them a call on a payphone. Because of the crushout, I stopped sucking up to them.

"Can't you have a normal phone conversation like everybody else?"

"I want to hear YOUR voice, not some stranger's!"

"Can't you use a NORMAL phone?"

"Couldn't you just call me on this payphone? I don't care if you call Collect."

"I want a conversation with you that won't have an eavesdropper on it."

"Couldn't you use your hearing aid for this?"
Note: I rarely use hearing assistance; it seems more of an annoyance than a help and often just amplifies the gibberish, so I use it only for urgent situations--I can't afford interpreting.

"Can't you find a service online that'll let you TALK to me instead of reading my words? I know you can hear me."
Note: *huge heavy groan* If I can hear, great. But that doesn't promise comprehension of the gibberish I hear!

"You're normal. You don't need this stuff."
Note: *another groan*

"The relay operator is too slow."
Note: To me, they can be awfully fast.

Etc. You get the idea. In short, I'll bet those services have me disconnected, as nobody calls me anymore. I've learned about a new free service, called i711 and their 1711 Call Me, but I don't know if they allow me to call a Canadian number. I'm in Canada, but services like this can't tell; go figure. I have sent off a question to them, hoping to find out if its possible. If so, I may get rid of these other relays I'm using and switch to them. At least I'd be getting an 1-800 number that might appease people -some-, but it'll still annoy the poo out of them because its still a relay service.

[sighs] If you live in Canada, life is harder for a Deafie. I feel I shouldn't have moved here. There's so much more available to the Deaf in the US and I used to live there.

It sounds like your family and friends don't know the meaning of terms like apraxia and aphasia. You may need to clue them in.

be well
-AH

It sounds like your family and friends don't know the meaning of terms like apraxia and aphasia. You may need to clue them in.

be well
-AH

You think so? I doubt they'd care, but its worth a try. I kinda doubt my family would understand, though. Its like their mind is too old or something.

Back