Canadian internet relay ????

Just thought I'd bump this incase anyone might be able to help...

Anij, there AREN'T any Canadian internet relay services, nor can you use a US internet relay service to call Canada. Sorry. You'd be better off sticking to your local landline relay.

Vrs

I had heard that Canada groups would plan to launch Video Relay Service in near future. Free videophone? Free webcam? CRTC like FCC would pay for deaf interpreters in using VRS? Do anybody in Canada know about new VRS?

dbarovian said:
I had heard that Canada groups would plan to launch Video Relay Service in near future. Free videophone? Free webcam? CRTC like FCC would pay for deaf interpreters in using VRS? Do anybody in Canada know about new VRS?

yes, I've heard but already release in Alberta, Canada but not sure if they already release vrs in Ontairo, Canada.

There are VRS in certain locations in Canada however the VRS is not free in Canada like it is in USA. You have to pay your own, it is a setback for Deaf Canadians.

If it is not FREE (the interpreting service has to be free, the long distance calls or time spent on the telephone can be charged), then it is NOT a Video Relay Service (VRS) but Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)

RELAY is ALWAYS free.

PERIOD. It's not fair to charge deaf / hard of hearing / disabled people more than hearing people to use the telephone equally.

However, INTERPRETING is not a free service. Maybe it should be, but most places I've seen, in America and worldwide, Interpreting is not free. That means you have to pay for your interpreters too.

VRI is NOT FREE.

See Canada deaf group's report about VRS.

http://www.cad.ca/index2.php?lid=e&cid=9&pid=0
Look for April 18. 2005

Unfair that Canadian should pay for interpreters in using VRS. Why not CRTC (Canada Radio and Telecommuication Commission) pay for interpreters?

dbarovian said:
Sorenson VRS has not been approved by the Canadian government to provide video relay service last year. See this report below.

http://www.sorensonvrs.com/canada/

No, they have NOT.

For Sorenson VRS to become available in Canada, the Canadian government needs to implement a program to reimburse VRS providers. Sorenson VRS encourages you to contact the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) Consumer Affairs division and help them to realize the advantages that VRS brings to Canada's deaf and hard or hearing community.

Sorenson is NOT a VRS provider in Canada. There is no method to fund the service in Canada. Sorenson's press release is to encourage you to contact the CRTC.

I am not encouraging it. I am encouraging you to contact your government representative because THEY can enact laws to pay for it. I do not believe the CRTC has the ability to set up and collect funds for VRS. I could be wrong, but CRTC has very little power compared to the U.S. FCC.

Dennis, the Canadian government has been blowing so much smoke into the Deaf community's eyes for quite a while. It is quite the norm for the Deaf community to become apathetic to this reaction because they do not know whether to become angry or upset. The Canadian government still has issues to work out within the Deaf Community that dates back almost a decade so to tackle the Sorenson VRS issue will take time before it comes to fruition.

Cookie Monster said:
Dennis, the Canadian government has been blowing so much smoke into the Deaf community's eyes for quite a while. It is quite the norm for the Deaf community to become apathetic to this reaction because they do not know whether to become angry or upset. The Canadian government still has issues to work out within the Deaf Community that dates back almost a decade so to tackle the Sorenson VRS issue will take time before it comes to fruition.

I am encouraging all Canadian citizens to contact their representatives if they want to make it happen. They are not "blowing smoke" they simply haven't been given a reason to care. The CRTC probably does not have the AUTHORITY to provide VRS -- so asking them will get you nowhere. Contact CAD and your representative to get this moving along.

I completely understand that "deaf people are apathetic" but the solution I'm offering is the ONLY way the government will give them what they want.

My sense of what's going on in Canada is as follows (and please, anyone, correct any misguided ideas I might have)

At the moment, Canadians with a computer, high-speed internet connection and a video camera can log onto several VRS services, input the destination phone number or IP address (assuming the person has a video phone or properly-equipped computer connected and online) and use the VRS service that way. However they cannot make 711 phone calls; the Canadian telecommunications relay service has not gone video yet. According to the Canadian Association for the Deaf's website (as well as the Canadian Cultural Society for the Deaf) those two groups are collaborating to bring in a provider to offer the 711 service as a Video Relay, which is scheduled to start next year.

As well, Sprint was handing out advertisements for their IP video relay service at the Deaf Canada Conference in Québec city a couple of weeks ago (though it doesn't include the internet address, duh). Also, I didn't find a version of the Sprint card in French, which seems to indicate that speakers of LSQ (Langue des signes du Québec) will be left out of the relay race (so to speak).

I also read that in Canada the TTY relay service is funded through a charge on everyone's phone bill, as in the U.S. But I wasn't able to find out how much that charge is, how much revenue it brings in, or any other details. (I forgot to check my phone bill this weekend).

be well
-AH

Goood News

HELLO EVERYONE ...

SOOO I USING HAND ON VIDEO RELAY SERVICE...

THEIR SAY.. ALLOW CANADA TO CANADA CALLER.... THATS COOL.. AND I USED IT LONGER TIME ..... I LOVE HOVRS.. AND ATTVRS.....

HOVRS.com
WWW.ATTVRS.COM

i know this was mentioned a while ago but I thought I'd comment because I am a Canadian relay operator who does calls for an American company [ i am not allowed to say which one but I'll hint that it has been mentioned in this thread] We do internet relay because American companies don't have to pay us very much and I have a feeling that the fact that its economically possible and several cities already have lots of relay operators with experience should make it easy to develop this service in Canada.

BUllcrap!

I just QUIT working for NORDIA this so called Canadian company everyone is talking about. They just moved fron Corunna to Kitchener.

Did you know that NORDIA is doing the BELL Relay Service?? Thats right folks. NOT BELL. The service has been shittier than hell and half the reason is beause NORDIA does not know how to treat its employees. For instance, they put the pressure on the DA operatos to complete a call/lookup in 26 seconds or under. Ever wonder why they always hang up on you? Now you know. I took some VERY interesting note. And I could say a thing or two abouth the so called confidentiality that is suppose to be there for us as well. HAH!

The pay they get from NORDIA is crap. I should post their job hiring turnover...you would be amazed. The average employee stay there less than 3 months and it take 2 weeks to train them and another two weeks of familiarity with the system. That means you get an operator with 2 months little working experience!

ANyhow I am straying. Since NORDIA already does BELL RELAY what is the big problem with setting up and canadian iprelay system? NONE! The reason they wont do it is because of all the money they are going to lose to provide a service for free. They wont get paid plain and simple. They pay the operators crap and keep the profits and believe me there are HUGE amouts of money to be made.

WHat we need here against CHS and RELAY is an all deaf revolt! If we all stood up and let them know they arent doing the job for us things might change! WHo are hearing people to tell deaf how long they get interpreter for?? Thats nonsense! WHat if OIS run by deaf or HOH? Thinhs would change.

True change is going to come when we get some leaders withback bone! So now its time to stand upp and make yourself heard. DEAF have a voice!

starsk:whip:

i know this was mentioned a while ago but I thought I'd comment because I am a Canadian relay operator who does calls for an American company [ i am not allowed to say which one but I'll hint that it has been mentioned in this thread] We do internet relay because American companies don't have to pay us very much and I have a feeling that the fact that its economically possible and several cities already have lots of relay operators with experience should make it easy to develop this service in Canada.

HELLO EVERYONE ...

SOOO I USING HAND ON VIDEO RELAY SERVICE...

THEIR SAY.. ALLOW CANADA TO CANADA CALLER.... THATS COOL.. AND I USED IT LONGER TIME ..... I LOVE HOVRS.. AND ATTVRS.....

HOVRS.com
WWW.ATTVRS.COM

YEAH!!!! I'm glad and happy w/this HOVRS.COM (the best)
Have not try use attvrs.com YET
Tired of sprintvrs and refused allow Canadian callers.. Stupid selfish!

Tousi,

I don't use VCO , because I'm just personally more comfortable typing & reading the conversation , and it's what I've always used.

I've also found that too many times when I'm talking to someone in person that they don't believe that I'm Hoh/deaf based on how I speak. I've used VCO 1 time, and the person I was calling, was pretty determined that we didn't "need this extra person butting in" ( meaning the CA). I don't want to get into a debate everytime I place a call.

I have to say, I can relate to you. I have a tty, can't remember the brand name, that is for the most part...well..crap! I use it for VCO, however... How many of you have called someone and when you talked to them later they were like "That was so weird, I don't like it!" :mad: Well I'm sorry, thats the only way I'm going to be able to communicate with you besides online. I used IM for the most part, but some of my friends barely get online so I have to call them. I do also have an amplified phone, but it doesn't work with me... for the most part. I love my tty, but it seems other people just don't want to bother. I called my boyfriend once, his brother picked up (this was early in the relationship), the operator said what s/he was supposed to say(I'm not exactly sure what) and what did he do? Hang up. :pissed: He and I still don't get along. Don't you love ignorant people? :ugh3:
Anywho, I know where you're coming from with the IM, I totally prefer that than to the phone. My brother is studying to be an ASL interpreter and he and I both have webcams and we sign instead of typing(unless he uses a word I dont know haha).
Sorry you've had bad experiences, it seems like we all have. Not the operators fault, just the ignorant people who think they're being pranked...
-Krista

Back