Can I use wifi with my sorenson vp200?

jasin

Reaction score
I am tired of having all this cat5 strung throughout the house. Its actually a safety hazard .. I don't know how many times i've almost tripped over it. I think it would be better to just remove the cat5 and hook the ethernet on the back of my vp200 up to my wifi. I know there are ethernet to wifi adapters, linksys makes several. Would that slow down the video on my wifi to much though?

a wifi

it's possible if you get a wireless equipment for vp200 i tried it before it's pretty good.

bad point is that it had a 10 mps limits. logitech wireless box suck. lol

it's possible if you get a wireless equipment for vp200 i tried it before it's pretty good.

why you say it's bad about 10 Mbps limits while VP accept minium 256 kbps upload and 512 kbps download?

Vp-200 doesn't support Linksys routers that are made after 2003. You would probably find a D-link wi fi router and use wireless adapter. I'm not sure if VP-200 supports wireless, you might want to ask Diehardbiker who's a member of Alldeaf. He knows a lot about VP configuration sh*t.

why you say it's bad about 10 Mbps limits while VP accept minium 256 kbps upload and 512 kbps download?

I agree, VP only needs 256/512 minimum to run. You don't need a 10 mbps downstream for that.

Hey, that is correct until after 2005, Linksys realized and joined in Videoconferencing business. They put that video protocol back in, and if you have firmware on Linksys between 2002 and 2005, upgrade them to 2007 or after which is MUCH better.

I also was impressed with 2007 firmware, they use MAC ID to lock DMZ, that way if you accidently enable DHCP on VP, then DMZ will be followed on your VP no matter what, because you can't change MAC ID. Cool!

DHB

Vp-200 doesn't support Linksys routers that are made after 2003. You would probably find a D-link wi fi router and use wireless adapter. I'm not sure if VP-200 supports wireless, you might want to ask Diehardbiker who's a member of Alldeaf. He knows a lot about VP configuration sh*t.

Based on history and my experience and firsthand witness.

Wireless is NOT realiable. I refer to Realiable not quality. What does that means, it means that it will work and will not work.

Wireless uses beacon, which means it constantly on and off. Just like the Lighthouse... Too fast for human to recongize, BUT too slow for networking. Do not mind that speed, it is intervals, and supposed somebody tried to call you in middle of "Off" signal, the server and your VP "THinks" its disconnect, then shut themselves down until you do powercycle. Of course other party will see dialing on your number while you can't get the call. Thats unrealiable it is.

DHB

Based on history and my experience and firsthand witness.

Wireless is NOT realiable. I refer to Realiable not quality. What does that means, it means that it will work and will not work.

Wireless uses beacon, which means it constantly on and off. Just like the Lighthouse... Too fast for human to recongize, BUT too slow for networking. Do not mind that speed, it is intervals, and supposed somebody tried to call you in middle of "Off" signal, the server and your VP "THinks" its disconnect, then shut themselves down until you do powercycle. Of course other party will see dialing on your number while you can't get the call. Thats unrealiable it is.

DHB

You means about latency?

Online gaming are demand on latency, along with high speed internet but they are playing so great via WiFi, such as Xbox 360 and PS3.

Sorry about little off topic but just want compare because of VP is just same internet feature as media sharing, webcam chatting and online gaming.

No, I refer to Intervals that wireless has, while wired one does not have intervals at all. Wired has continously connection, meaning there is no interrupts like wireless has.

Wired and wireless do have latency.

DHB

You means about latency?

Online gaming are demand on latency, along with high speed internet but they are playing so great via WiFi, such as Xbox 360 and PS3.

Sorry about little off topic but just want compare because of VP is just same internet feature as media sharing, webcam chatting and online gaming.

No, I refer to Intervals that wireless has, while wired one does not have intervals at all. Wired has continously connection, meaning there is no interrupts like wireless has.

Wired and wireless do have latency.

DHB

I was believe that VP should performs so fine via WiFi, long as you put router in right place, such as not cover it or put in wrong place that would cause signal to drop, however I haven't experience with poor signal when on WiFi, usually good to strong.

Older linksys router can be use as long you replace the firmware on it with a custom or open source firmware like the DD-WRT.

I have use old linksys router and bridge it wireless with VP-200 and didn't have any problem or notice any lags in the video itself.

I was only experimenting around with the old router to see if I could make it work and it worked fine but I didn't fully test it so I can't say how good it is but that it works.

10M is way more than what VP needs like other post said it only need 256k-512k which is less than half of 1M.

Analog TV quailty video only need about 2-4M and HDTV quailty need about 25M for smooth video streaming unless HDTV been trancoded into another format first then it need lot less than 25M.

Diehardbiker,

I admire your experience and intelligence in configuring Linksys router and VP-200. I have a Linksys WRT54G version 6 wireless router. I would like to hook it up with my VP-200 using the Ethernet cable (wired). I will use wireless only for my laptop.

I understand that my Linksys WRT54G v.6 will not work with my VP-200, because it does not have a video protocol, so I'll need to upgrade my Linksys router firmware to either DD-WRT or perhaps Linksys' newest firmware (2007). Which firmwire do you recommend?

I am leaning toward Linksys' newest firmwire because it was written by the folks at Cisco/Linksys. Have you (or anybody) ever tried it before? and does it work well with VP-200?

Thanks for your help. -madmax64

Thanks, and the bad years for the Linksys router firmware is between September 2002 and 2006. Linksys woke up, and now getting involved with Videoconferencing business. they have changed their firmware. Feb 2007 and after is very good firmware. So if you have older firmware, upgrade them.

Diehardbiker,

I admire your experience and intelligence in configuring Linksys router and VP-200. I have a Linksys WRT54G version 6 wireless router. I would like to hook it up with my VP-200 using the Ethernet cable (wired). I will use wireless only for my laptop.

I understand that my Linksys WRT54G v.6 will not work with my VP-200, because it does not have a video protocol, so I'll need to upgrade my Linksys router firmware to either DD-WRT or perhaps Linksys' newest firmware (2007). Which firmwire do you recommend?

I am leaning toward Linksys' newest firmwire because it was written by the folks at Cisco/Linksys. Have you (or anybody) ever tried it before? and does it work well with VP-200?

Thanks for your help. -madmax64

Homeplug from Netgear

Recommend use this "Homeplug from Netgear". It will use the existing electric system plug outlet as your internet connections.

Check this link out. Newegg.com - NETGEAR XE104 Up to 85Mbps 85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet 4-port Switch - Powerline Networking

This system is very nice as if you use the home plug system such as

Modem (internet provider) > router > home plug sender> home plug reciever (another part of the house)> videophone (OJO, VP200 or VP100).

or

Modem (internet provider) > router > home plug sender> home plug reciever (another part of the house)> switchboard> videophone (OJO, VP200 or VP100).

This way you can skip the wireless if you dont like the idea of wireless or have connection issues as concret walls in the older houses.

I have a friend who did not want to spend 300 to get electric man to install ethernet to bedroom, I recommended and he installed home plug. It worked perfectly with vp and computer in new bedroom. Only cost him under 100 dollars.

Prices has dropped since Jan... so check it out.

he is correct, I have DD-WRT too

Older linksys router can be use as long you replace the firmware on it with a custom or open source firmware like the DD-WRT.

I have use old linksys router and bridge it wireless with VP-200 and didn't have any problem or notice any lags in the video itself.

I was only experimenting around with the old router to see if I could make it work and it worked fine but I didn't fully test it so I can't say how good it is but that it works.

10M is way more than what VP needs like other post said it only need 256k-512k which is less than half of 1M.

Analog TV quailty video only need about 2-4M and HDTV quailty need about 25M for smooth video streaming unless HDTV been trancoded into another format first then it need lot less than 25M.

Holy Moly, thank you for asking this question, as I need to know that same thing.

So we buy that 'home plug' and then it will work?

Holy Moly, thank you for asking this question, as I need to know that same thing.

So we buy that 'home plug' and then it will work?

Newegg.com - NETGEAR XE104 Up to 85Mbps 85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet 4-port Switch - Powerline Networking

Click on the link and see what I am talking about. It will work as long the electric system is 1970 or later. Heard that 1950's electric will still work. But better if follow 1970's electric standard requirements. Most home are remodeled and following newer standard of electric system later than 1970's.

This one is better than wireless or WIFI, thats I know of, but you will occassionally see flickering and that is normal.
So if you left with only this option then that is good, but still want the top quality VP, then wired one is way to go.

Recommend use this "Homeplug from Netgear". It will use the existing electric system plug outlet as your internet connections.

Check this link out. Newegg.com - NETGEAR XE104 Up to 85Mbps 85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet 4-port Switch - Powerline Networking

This system is very nice as if you use the home plug system such as

Modem (internet provider) > router > home plug sender> home plug reciever (another part of the house)> videophone (OJO, VP200 or VP100).

or

Modem (internet provider) > router > home plug sender> home plug reciever (another part of the house)> switchboard> videophone (OJO, VP200 or VP100).

This way you can skip the wireless if you dont like the idea of wireless or have connection issues as concret walls in the older houses.

I have a friend who did not want to spend 300 to get electric man to install ethernet to bedroom, I recommended and he installed home plug. It worked perfectly with vp and computer in new bedroom. Only cost him under 100 dollars.

Prices has dropped since Jan... so check it out.

I am tired of having all this cat5 strung throughout the house. Its actually a safety hazard .. I don't know how many times i've almost tripped over it. I think it would be better to just remove the cat5 and hook the ethernet on the back of my vp200 up to my wifi. I know there are ethernet to wifi adapters, linksys makes several. Would that slow down the video on my wifi to much though?

I posted about wireless VP last Feb!! I use DLink Gaming Adapter for VP100. It should work with VP200. You would need Gaming adapter to work with it. My Dlink gaming adapter is old and it tend to overheat. I installed heat sink to keep it cool. Now the new Gaming Adapter don't overheat. My suggestion is to locate your wireless router and gaming adapter where it get best reception and smoother video. Check out this link where I provided great info!!

http://www.alldeaf.com/computer-isp...access-point-vp.html?highlight=gaming+adapter

Catty

Also there are new router and gaming adapter that have "N" Wireless instead of "g". It's 300mbps wireless signal. I have brand new Belkin N wireless router. This would help VP runs smoother in longer disitance. You must have N wireless router and N Gaming adapter to work with. You can't mix N wireless and g wireless (it'll autocofigures to 54g if you are using wireless g)

Catty

Back