Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Insisting that a BI-Bi school should have to provide speech therapy is audist.

definately don't agree with this.

speech therapy provides access to another form of communication. The bi-bi school uses ASL but is perfectly capable of providing spoken language as well.

You are begining to make it sound like audism is anything except ASL and written English alone, that is flatly untrue.

Audism is refusing to understand that spoken language is not superior, in any environment, to signed language.

Wirelessly posted

speech therapy provides access to another form of communication. The bi-bi school uses ASL but is perfectly capable of providing spoken language as well.

You are begining to make it sound like audism is anything except ASL and written English alone, that is flatly untrue.

That's not what she said. She said audism is the belief that a bi-bi program MUST HAVE speech therapy in order for it to be considered a true bi-bi. This belief alone suggests that ASL/ written English is unacceptable, which undermined a lot of the programs out there.

Assessing a child in only English to determine language ability and level but NOT assessing the child in his/her primary language of ASL is audism.

Many children are fluent in ASL, acheiving on level or beyond...but are weak in English. - but it is told they are behind "in language." It's like assessming a hearing child who is fluent in spoken English but she's labeled as being "below language level" because they tested her in Spanish (which is not her native language) and she did not do well on it.

:gpost:

Wirelessly posted

deafbajagal said:
Assessing a child in only English to determine language ability and level but NOT assessing the child in his/her primary language of ASL is audism.

Many children are fluent in ASL, acheiving on level or beyond...but are weak in English. - but it is told they are behind "in language." It's like assessming a hearing child who is fluent in spoken English but she's labeled as being "below language level" because they tested her in Spanish (which is not her native language) and she did not do well on it.

very true!!!!

language is language, english is just one.

That's not what she said. She said audism is the belief that a bi-bi program MUST HAVE speech therapy in order for it to be considered a true bi-bi. This belief alone suggests that ASL/ written English is unacceptable, which undermined a lot of the programs out there.

:ty: Your explanation is audist, no.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

why? How is that saying that hearing is better than not? Explain.

I believe that is quite obvious.

code for "i have no reasoning, just spouting off again"

if you value both languages, there is no audism. When someone is bilingual they will use one language sometimes and the other other times.

Wirelessly posted

deafbajagal said:
Wirelessly posted

no, she said that a person wanting speech therapy at a bi-bi school is audism. It isn't. Yes, asl-written english is fine but so is asl-spoken and written english. One is not better than the other.

Wirelessly posted

no, she said that a person wanting speech therapy at a bi-bi school is audism. It isn't. Yes, asl-written english is fine but so is asl-spoken and written english. One is not better than the other.

Do you have anything to contribute to this thread and the very definition of audism? If not, I ask you to leave.

If people, and hearing parents in particular, were simply willing to examine, in depth, their own perspective and correct that which is audist, we would have a huge advantage in overcoming it. The problem is, the majority of hearing parents defensively deny their audsim at the same time they are demonstrating, without a doubt, that it exists within their very basic ideas of deafness. Their choices reflect it. Even when they appear to be making headway, it seems that sooner or later, they revert right back to their audist perspective because they simply refuse to examine their own perspective. Yet they claim to be fighting against that which they propogate, and fail to see that keeping it alive is a detriment for their own child and that child will suffer as a result.

As a hearing person, I freely admit that some of my attitudes are probably audist simply by the very nature of growing up and being in a mostly hearing environment. It's innate to every hearing person, I think. However, having known deafies throughout my life and being on this forum, I've come to recognize and change my audists viewpoints. My very nature is to treat everyone equally, anyway. People can change their viewpoint if they want to. The problem is the wanting to. Many people don't want to take the time to check themselves or change that which is offensive.

Wirelessly posted

code for "i have no reasoning, just spouting off again"

if you value both languages, there is no audism. When someone is bilingual they will use one language sometimes and the other other times.

you keep telling us what you believe audism is NOT. Can you tell us what audism is. That is the topic of this thread. And I believe the OP stated no attacks.

As a hearing person, I freely admit that some of my attitudes are probably audist simply by the very nature of growing up and being in a mostly hearing environment. It's innate to every hearing person, I think. However, having known deafies throughout my life and being on this forum, I've come to recognize and change my audists viewpoints. My very nature is to treat everyone equally, anyway. People can change their viewpoint if they want to. The problem is the wanting to. Many people don't want to take the time to check themselves or change that which is offensive.

Absolutely. And as a result of your honesty and introspection, you have come to understand the deaf perspective better than many.

That is something I constantly pull my hairs out over!

Wirelessly posted

According to the principles of a bi-bi environment, insisting that the program has no value unless it provides speech therapy is audist. It directly states that the deaf perspective is incomplete and lacking without speech.

Yes, please stick to definitions only and comment on those definitions only. Thank you. :)

Hiring deaf people simply because they have speech skills over those who dont have speech skills is audism.

Saying ASL is broken English is audism.

Allowing people to talk on the phone, but disallowing them to text on the phone because they might fall in a water foundation is audism.

I think that perhaps it would be beneficial to re-interate this section of BecLak's OP:

Some people claim they are not audists, but intentionally or unintentionally spout audist views. Perhaps if we state clearly what specifies that viewpoint, it could clear up some misunderstandings.

Believing that one cannot enjoy things such as music unless one has hearing is audist.

Believing that one cannot communicate with hearing people without speech is audist.

Hiring deaf people simply because they have speech skills over those who dont have speech skills is audism.

Saying ASL is broken English is audism.

Good ones! I should slap myself for not thinking of those sooner.

Back