Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Hiring deaf people simply because they have speech skills over those who dont have speech skills is audism.

Saying ASL is broken English is audism.

absolutely!

Believing that unless one thinks in spoken English syntax, one does not comprehend is audist.

Having a regular phone in the classroom for emergencies but telling the deaf teacher if an emergency happens, she can simply go to the nearest room of a hearing teacher to call for help.

Audism!!!

Saying that being deaf is dangerous and deafness can get us run over by trains is audist.

Having a regular phone in the classroom for emergencies but telling the deaf teacher if an emergency happens, she can simply go to the nearest room of a hearing teacher to call for help.

Audism!!!

OH my god..tell me about it.

Audism!!!

Audism that creates a very unsafe environment for both the teacher and the students.

Charging a deaf person more for auto insurance on the basis of the assumption that deaf drivers are not as safe...audism! (And discrimination. And a good way to make a pissed-off Deafbajagal march in your insurance office with two milk crates full of research data proving otherwise).

Saying that being deaf is dangerous and deafness can get us run over by trains is audist.

Are you talking about that story of the beauty queen who was texting along the train tracks?

But of course, one incident doesn't mean it will happen to all of us.

Are you talking about that story of the beauty queen who was texting along the train tracks?

It gets constantly brought up to rub it in our faces about "staying deaf". I am sick of it.

Believing that deafness was responsible is audism.

imager.php

It gets constantly brought up to rub it in our faces about "staying deaf". I am sick of it.

Especially since that had virtually nothing to do with deafness. It was a "poor judgement" thing.

A good one. Brings back bitter memories of my parents refusing to turn on the captions or at least keep me updated on what was happening.

I dated a guy several years ago that reached for the remote and turned the captioning off on my TV. I asked him to leave and never darken my door again.

Back