Athens, GA

marinecomm

Reaction score
I'm a disabled vet (former Marine) living in Athens, GA. I used to live in Decatur, GA where I attended GPC and was two semesters shy of getting my degree as a Sign Language Interpreter. I have been away from the community for a few years and looking for find some deaf/HoH to socialize with in the area. I searched on the internet but couldn't find any groups/events listed in Athens. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you for the links and your advice. I was also thinking about contacting UGA's ASL program here to see if they knew of any social events in Athens. I looked at AthenASL's FB page and it says they no longer meet as an active club and it looks like there hasn't been much activity in several months. I have no means of getting to Atl so that's not an option. I will keep asking around and see if I can't find anything. I appreciate the information.

Maybe you could try calling an audi office and see if they know of any
social events for deaf and hoh people or a college near you , :wave: Thank you for your service .

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. May I suggest that you can try the Georgia Hearing Society in the big city? I don't know anything about Georgia. You will have to ask the Deaf instructor in your ASL class about finding the Deaf events. This is the only solution.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around. :D

Thank you for the links and your advice. I was also thinking about contacting UGA's ASL program here to see if they knew of any social events in Athens. I looked at AthenASL's FB page and it says they no longer meet as an active club and it looks like there hasn't been much activity in several months. I have no means of getting to Atl so that's not an option. I will keep asking around and see if I can't find anything. I appreciate the information.
Did you ever find any information about the Deaf community in Athens?
I am trying to learn more about the Deaf community in Athens, GA and surrounding areas. I found this camp on FB but the website doesn't work. I am partnering with the ACC Library to write a grant to bring the Deaf GA Tech poet, Ilya Kaminsky to Athens for a poetry reading and free book giveaway of his new book "Deaf Republic."
To win the grant, I will like to learn more about the Athens Deaf community as well as related community of those with hearing loss and how to make activities be relevant to this community.

If you know demographic information about our Deaf and hearing loss community in Athens and/or surrounding areas or of good places to give out the book April-June or ways to reach the community with a film screening of the new CODA film etc. I would like to know.

Thank you!
Dr. Cahnmann-Taylor, Professor of TESOL & World Language Education
cahnmann@uga.edu

Greetings from one disabled vet to another (coasty) one over looked place lybray, some who ben around a while may know, good luck, I had some :welcome:

Back