ASL vocabulary for Yoga postures ?

Anij

Reaction score
I've looked everywhere, and so far I've only found a few signs for the various specific Yoga postures/poses. My local Deaf community doesn't really have anyone who knows the poses either .. so I'm stuck.

Does anyone know of signs for the 26 Bikram postures (and if possible Ashtanga ones as well)

I've looked everywhere ... and because this old computer is useless for skype etc (too slow to sign on!) I'm looking for someone who would be able to upload a video on to Youtube etc

Oh, and I've already emailed a number of Deaf yoga studios -all very friendly, but want me to buy their DVD (but they don't actually say that the poses are signed in it ... ) or sign up for their retreat (in a different country).

Help?

(Edit - If you happen to know Indian Sign Language (meaning India) and know postures in that ... I'll take those!)

:wave:Anij, originally had some site references but in contemplating your post more realized they may not be what you were specifically going for and you may have already been there. Hope you can find something-

:wave:Anij, originally had some site references but in contemplating your post more realized they may not be what you were specifically going for and you may have already been there. Hope you can find something-

Thanks.

I've been to the DeafhoodYoga and other sites and they (while very friendly) haven't been able to point me in the direction of vocab.

The tricky part apparently is that I'm not looking for ASL explanations for the postures, or a ASL yoga instruction type video ... I just need the names of the postures.

26 Bikram Postures

I'd just prefer not to invent signs (for my own use) that already exist.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

camerachick26 said:
Could you fingerspell them?

They have names like "Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimotthanasana"

So,yeah - I could. But it's not really practical lol

wirelessly posted (blackberry bold )

they have names like "dandayamana-bibhaktapada-paschimotthanasana"

so,yeah - i could. But it's not really practical lol
"d - b - p"

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:
wirelessly posted (blackberry bold )

they have names like "dandayamana-bibhaktapada-paschimotthanasana"

so,yeah - i could. But it's not really practical lol
"d - b - p"

Yeah, I thought of initilizing, but there are too many that share identical initials.

For the Bikram 26, I might resort to just using their associated numbers ... Not ideal, but better than nothing.

i tried to fix the video. Kristen weiner, Deafhood yoga. i ll try to fix it later when i get home.

Back