ASL in public setting?

RBDShadow

Reaction score
Ok, so we live in a hearing world, right?
So some of us rely on lip reading, speech and asl. So we interact with hearing people every day no matter what, so what I'm asking is, those of you who in a public setting, do you use sign language even when you're just talking to a hearing person or ever just anyone who doesn't know sign language?

I ask this because I had a conversation with my aunt and she tells me I should sign all the time in public so that people know I am deaf/HOH, but honestly I won't because there is no point if the other person doesn't understand asl even when I'm talking at the same time. Just uncomfortable as well.

Just a thought!

I only sign to those who know sign language. Pretty much a moot point if you sign to someone who doesn't know any sign language, however you could if they wanted to learn from you. With people who don't sign, I lipread, mime it out or write it down.

and she tells me I should

That part right there. If your aunt becomes dhh, she's free to start signing all the time. Heck, if she wants to, she could learn asl *now* and start signing all the time (not sure why, but she could). But what you do, that should depend on what *you're* comfortable with, not what she things you should.

I love when people volunteer their opinions on how others live. Can you tell?

No I don't sign to non signers. And unfortunately I have been taken aback by being signed at by people who thought they knew sign language...

I only sign when I'm around other deaf folks, or ASL students learning sign so they can practice reading signs and communicating in ASL. Rest of the time, I use my voice and eyes and ears.

i have done both for longer periods it depends. really i find its allot easier when your out and if you want to converse with someone, using sign certainly helps let everyone know your deaf.
it certainly will stop
"what are you deaf?"
in its tracks
i sign where i like. i don't give a damn if the hearing person doesn't understand. pay attention you may learn something,
rah a deaf guy signing to a hearie makes as much sense as a hearie blabbering to me
it cuts both ways mmmmm

I feel that if you sign where there is no other ASL people ( friends or relatives with you) it makes you an easy target if you are alone in public. If youre with someone you at least have some security at your side together. Just my opinion,

I have been told..."don't let people know you are deaf....it's not safe"...keep ur doors locked....blah, blah, blah....I do keep my doors locked!...:lol:...and surely, I don't go 'round broadcasting that I'm Deaf....only when necessary....

wow. mmmm i'm Deaf i don't give a damn if me using ASL broadcasts that or not
i have no shame what so ever or fear for it.
ive been eaten alive by the hearing world through my life.
doesn't phase me
your mileage varies,

So some of us rely on lip reading, speech and asl. So we interact with hearing people every day no matter what, so what I'm asking is, those of you who in a public setting, do you use sign language even when you're just talking to a hearing person or ever just anyone who doesn't know sign language?

I ask this because I had a conversation with my aunt and she tells me I should sign all the time in public so that people know I am deaf/HOH, but honestly I won't because there is no point if the other person doesn't understand asl even when I'm talking at the same time. Just uncomfortable as well.

Just a thought!

If I'm on the bus or train, and I need to use my VP, It doesn't bother me as to what people think I'm doing-- I'll do it, and it really doesn't bother me what they think or want to say. I am deaf, and proud of it.

If I'm on the bus or train, and I need to use my VP, I don't give a rat's a$$ to what people think I'm doing-- I'll do it, and I don't give a s#!t what they think. I am deaf, and proud of it.

That's not what she's talking about, she's not talking about people seeing you sign to someone else.....but to hearing people that don't know sign, like say you're ordering food at a diner....would you sign to the waiter as you were making your order? Although this seems like a question just for Deaf that can speak. Otherwise you'd have to write it down and your hands would be otherwise occupied right?

That's not what she's talking about, she's not talking about people seeing you sign to someone else.....but to hearing people that don't know sign, like say you're ordering food at a diner....would you sign to the waiter as you were making your order? Although this seems like a question just for Deaf that can speak. Otherwise you'd have to write it down and your hands would be otherwise occupied right?

In that case, no. I'd probably use my phone or a physical menu. I misunderstood the question. Sorry.

Thanks for understanding.

Been there, done that, we prob all have ;)

It does seem odd, I can see doing that if you're learning it, just for practice sake, but there are other ways to let someone know you're deaf/HoH...,.you can tell them :D plus it's not like only deaf people sign. Seems like weird thing for your aunt to tell you do.

I dont sign much when Im out, but my wife does to me. I frequent Home Depot and most of the employees there know Im HOH/deaf so they know to get my attention before talking to me and it is nice that they observed and help me like they do. There is a few that know ASL and they actually wear a badge and have a poster board of what they specialize in ( different languages or ASL )

Wirelessly posted

RBDShadow said:

Just a thought!

I'm not deaf, but the culture to me is soo incredibly unique. I have a deaf friend but it's like she isn't willing to learn her language because her parents force her to believe she is hearing. But when I talk and sign to her it's like she doesn't care or just doesn't understand. But I am not fluent in sign language.. But I work on it a little every day. And outta of practice sometimes I just use sign to talk to people not even thinking about it... And some want to learn and others don't. But I love the deaf community.. It is so unique

It should not matter if you use it or not. If you do, maybe someone will see you using it and start a conversation with you about ASL in general. Who knows where this will lead to.

Back