ASL for Medical Words

DGirl101

Reaction score
Now that I have completed my first semester, fulfilling the requirements to enter into Nursing, I am in Human Anatomy and Physiology.

The teacher of that class is a fast fast talker, my interpreters are trying to find websites that they can go to to learn Medical Signs, instead of finger spelling words all the time. :lol:

They are good interpreters and fast signers but teacher is faster. The constant fingerspelling is causing them to fall behind.

Any sites I can offer them? Books? Anything?

These Ladies (4 of them) all learn sign to help me, but with this class, the majority of it is medical speak, and they have no idea what the signs are for some.

A few tips:

Take advantage of all the abbreviations that the medical field itself uses for a lot of those terms. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Both the student and terps should read the notes/Power Point slides before each class meets so they'll be familiar with the terms.

Search sign resources in addition to medical; physiology incorporates terms from chemistry and physics also.

For anatomy, the terps need to know the locations of body parts on their own bodies so they can point to right places when the instructor points to the chart behind them and says, "The so-and-so bone is located here."

Absolutely ask the instructor for advance copies of Power Point slides or notes that will be presented. Some liked to print them out, others would send me email attachments.

I had tried a medical transcribing class at home for a while and found these websites a while ago. Also, I figured that if I provided the websites to my doctor's office (they had asked), then it will help things there. All of the staff is learning ASL as there is a big need in this area. The doctor already knows ASL since he is a CODA and he says he is also a SODA (Sibling of a Deaf Adult).

There are several good books for Med/Tech and Legal.

I will pull out some of Randy's.
Do you need USBN nos.?

do you think you can keep up faster with a CART interpreter

There are several good books for Med/Tech and Legal.

I will pull out some of Randy's.
Do you need USBN nos.?

Anything will help. They are looking and always try to find the signs that fit.

One dictionary that might be a bit helpful is: Random House Webster's American Sign Language Medical Dictionary

I'm not sure if it would help a lot - however I've found it's a great reference when explaining conditions etc to people who are native ASLer ... so even if it didn't give you as much "technical knowledge" as you need for right now... it WILL be helpful once you're interacting with signing patients :)

Regarding classes ...

I ran into a lot of the same fingerspelling issues taking theology :)

I'm not sure if what I did (along with the help of the local Deaf community and my interpreters (some of whom are CODAs)...

Because in many cases ASL signs don't exist for the more technical English terms - and it's critical that specific English term be used one thing my interpreters ended up doing was creating a number of fingerspelled abbreviations or manipulating existing signs (using initialization or using 2 ASL signs to mean a term etc) for some of the most commonly use long words that didn't have ASL signs.

I created a word doc. with the English terms in alphabetical order and then beside it the fingerspelled abbreviation, initialized sign, sign preference etc

For example:

Religion = R brushed down off opposite chest * (version 2 found in "xxxx")

Theology = "T" initialization of RELIGION*

Tanak = T+N+K (fingerspelled)

Pentateuch = 5+ BOOK (or 5+BIBLE+BOOK)

I would use "*" to indicate that the RELIGION is also in the Word/Sign List.

Also if there are multiple ways to sign a English word I'd sometimes provide a website or ASL dictionary reference.

EACH of my interpreters where given this "word list" and I kept one in front of me during lectures etc as well ... so I could add new words/signs, change/clarify abbreviations (for names, and long technical terms etc). It also meant if I forgot one of the abbreviations I could quickly find it.

Because it was my first time working with interpreters in an educational setting and because I didn't know a TON of religious/theological signs until started thinking about going back to university - I did give my interpreters a lot "permission" to make suggestions and give me input (especially the first 4months) on the theological ASL signs we used- especially if they'd seen a sign elsewhere in their local educational interpreting etc - or if they knew of an English abbreviation for a word that would be good to use in ASL as well etc.

In some cases ASL signs for a word exist - however the same sign is used for a number of different words of basically the same meaning. The issue in theology class is that I needed to know EXACTLY the English word being used, not it's synonym. In these case creating a "guide" (list with the English word & the ASL used) can be very helpful - especially when your interpreters change (so they can "study up" before they start interpreting for you, or find the preferred sign at a glance while interpreting).

One example of this is that the "old testament", "Hebrew bible" and "TaNaK" are all technically the exact same group of scripture books ... and because of that it makes sense that in MOST conversations if you could just use the sign for "old testament" - however when studying theology each of the three terms subtly mean something different for example:

Old Testament = the term used by Christians to denote the first part of the bible before the birth of Christ.

Hebrew Bible = an ecumenical term used to denote the Jewish bible (identical to the what Christians call the Old Testament)

"TaNaK" = the "technical term" and Hebrew name of the sacred texts of the Jewish people. These texts are made up of the Torah (law), Nevi'um (Prophets) & Ketu'vim (writings).

Because each of these words has "background/additional meaning" it's important that if a prof or student says "Tanak" that my interpreters sign to me the sign we've decided to specifically mean "Tanak" and NOT the interpreters randomly picking a sign from the group of "TANAK", "Old Testament", "Hebrew Bible" etc.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not - however I thought I'd post on the off chance it was helpful :)

One dictionary that might be a bit helpful is: Random House Webster's American Sign Language Medical Dictionary

I'm not sure if it would help a lot - however I've found it's a great reference when explaining conditions etc to people who are native ASLer ... so even if it didn't give you as much "technical knowledge" as you need for right now... it WILL be helpful once you're interacting with signing patients :)

Regarding classes ...

I ran into a lot of the same fingerspelling issues taking theology :)

I don't know if it's too late but these sites may be helpful to you:

Jewish signs an educated interpreter should know

Resources for religious/spiritual interpreting (Part I)

Signs for books of the Jewish and Christian Bibles

Troublesome terms to translate

Jewish Bible translations

The work of our hands - Introduction

Medical Sign Language - W. Joseph Garcia - ISBN 0-398-04806-1
over 700 pages, very large but very good.

and the books used in the classes - Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll are good sources too
The Signs of **** behavior books - James Woodward

Signs for Sexuality - Maryn Minkin, Laurie Rosen-Ritt - ISBN 4-00-017261-1

just a few.

I do defer to the Interpreters, I am only an SSP and advocate. Hope these suggestions help

Back