Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Just wanted to say how much I love this post!!! Kids are so sweet and honest!:giggle::aw:

Many years ago when my daughter was 3, I was changing in my room and she casually said "mommy, you need Jenny Craig". Never forgot that one and did not let her forget it either:laugh2:

Went to the car dealership on my lunch break to kill time. Parked away from the showroom so that I can walk around and check out the new Cruze when it first came out. It was a windy day. I was walking & eating at the same time, looked at this sticker, that sticker, etc. All I heard was the wind roar just like we hear with our hearing aids.

I turned around to walk back to my car. There was a saleslady standing about 60 feet away with her arms crossed and a mean-bitch look on her face. She was clearly pissed at me.

As I walked back to my car and walked by her, this is the first thing she said:

"I know you heard me. I know you are pretending that you did not. I don't appreciate that"

I simply pointed to those two round things sticking to my head, but she would have none of that.

I told her "Just looking, don't see what I like, but thanks anyway" and left.

Jeez.....

Maybe the seller was upset that you were about to leave without checking on a turbocharged car or 2. Next time, don't forget those that are turbocharged. They are so cool!!! Tell the salesman that you cannot hear, but that you like turbocharged cars. They rock!!!

I have had full-hearing all of my life. As one of "they, the hearing", some of what you guys said made me cringe. Some of it made me laugh. But all of it...well..made me think and think hard for that matter.

Have I been guilty of some of the things mentioned above? I'd be lying if I said no, as I probably have committed quite a few of the faux-pas that have been discussed. But you can only blame one thing and one thing only for our ignorance:

Lack of knowledge.

We, the hearing, like everyone else in this world, only know as much as we're told. If nobody in our lives EVER took the time to explain what we're doing wrong in regards to how we communicate with the HOH/deaf, then how are we supposed to know that we're doing anything wrong to begin with?

I suggest you teach those who commit these "sins of disrespect and ignorance". The best thing you can do for another is teach them how to be more respectful, understanding, compassionate, whatever word you choose to use! Don't hate us because we don't understand, teach us instead :)

You'd be surprised at how much we're willing to learn if given the opportunity!

I have had full-hearing all of my life. As one of "they, the hearing", some of what you guys said made me cringe. Some of it made me laugh. But all of it...well..made me think and think hard for that matter.

Have I been guilty of some of the things mentioned above? I'd be lying if I said no, as I probably have committed quite a few of the faux-pas that have been discussed. But you can only blame one thing and one thing only for our ignorance:

Lack of knowledge.

We, the hearing, like everyone else in this world, only know as much as we're told. If nobody in our lives EVER took the time to explain what we're doing wrong in regards to how we communicate with the HOH/deaf, then how are we supposed to know that we're doing anything wrong to begin with?

I suggest you teach those who commit these "sins of disrespect and ignorance". The best thing you can do for another is teach them how to be more respectful, understanding, compassionate, whatever word you choose to use! Don't hate us because we don't understand, teach us instead :)

Point taken.

Be prepared for the wrath to follow......

Lack of knowledge.

Stick around and learn. Don't throw spitballs at the teachers.

Last edited:
Well I hope that people would be willing to educate me rather than cut me down for asking questions. I promise not to throw spitballs, paper airplanes, nor place whoopy cushions upon your seats :D

Well I hope that people would be willing to educate me rather than cut me down for asking questions. I promise not to throw spitballs, paper airplanes, nor place whoopy cushions upon your seats :D

That was you??? I wondered who put that on my chair. Grrrrr.... :giggle:

Grrrrrrrrrrammar police....:rl:

Now I'm disappointed ... I thought we got to throw spitballs !!

(honest I wasn't making fun or being "police". Heaven knows I've made my fair share of spelling and grammar "oops" here... I'm just in an odd mood and have a few people that I'd like to fire a spitball or two at lol)

Lack of knowledge.

I only agree partially. How much teaching does one need to understand that you do not laugh at someone that does not understand you? Whose fault is it if someone does not understand someone else?

Honestly, if someone can not understand me, I believe it is because I have failed at communicating not because the receiver has failed in understanding.

I worked retail for over 15 years and there are plenty of ways to find mutual communication IF you take your time and try something new when the first method does not work.

I was at the gym the other day, sitting int he hot tub and a woman moved over to give me more personal space since there were so few people in the hot tub. She sat so that her profile was facing me and then she proceed to ask me questions. I could not hear her. I had to move closer to her and ask her what she had said. She made horribly exasperated faces at me as she repeated herself, still in profile, still talking at the same volume. She was upset because she had moved further away and now I was moving closer and now she had to repeat herself so many times. She ignored the fact that I was straining to see her face and she did not attempt to do anything differently.

Doing the same thing in the same way over and over and expecting different results is a sign of insanity ;)

Oh, and I am hearing. I may not have the best hearing but it is only a mild loss from too much loud music and too many drag races without protection.

Back