Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Im a managerin a customer service/retail environment so I come across LOTS of people that mumble the shizz out of everything, even when I ask them to speak up.

But one kid really pissed me off. He said something I didn't catch and I asked him to repeat. He just stares at me all deadpan even after I repeat my request. Then he breaks into a shit eating grin, and starts chatting with the employee beside me.

Before he walked away, he asked about getting a job with us. That's one application heading for the shredder...

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Ikr...another thing is people walk in and say "werdawaduh" when they mean "where's the water".. too weird :P

I hate it when people tell me I need new hearing aids because I cant hear every last word someone says. excuse me!!!! hearing aids wont give anyone perfect hearing. and don't treat me like I don't know my own hearing. was born with no hearing in left ear and a little in the right. had surgery at seven y/o. and hearing aids at 8y/o. I think after 45 years I know my own hearing limits.

I hate it when people tell me I need new hearing aids because I cant hear every last word someone says. excuse me!!!! hearing aids wont give anyone perfect hearing. and don't treat me like I don't know my own hearing. was born with no hearing in left ear and a little in the right. had surgery at seven y/o. and hearing aids at 8y/o. I think after 45 years I know my own hearing limits.
Those people don't know, they assume. We need to be patient with them. After all, we should treat people as we want to be treated, right?
My brother-in-law, once said that I should use fresh batteries to help me hear better. I had to explain that freshness only helps when the battery dies.

albnsc67 said:

I'd ask them what kind of prescription lenses will make the blind see 20/20 to drive home that man-made instruments will only help so much.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.

LMAO I'm gone! too funny

I cringe every time I ask someone to repeat what they said because I didn't catch it all, and they proceed to start right back at the beginning again. Making me ask him/her to repeat themselves again over and over. This can happen up to ten times or more just trying to make sense of one sentence. Especially when it's a family member who talks with you every single day.

I cringe every time I ask someone to repeat what they said because I didn't catch it all, and they proceed to start right back at the beginning again. Making me ask him/her to repeat themselves again over and over. This can happen up to ten times or more just trying to make sense of one sentence. Especially when it's a family member who talks with you every single day.

Why don't you try telling them the part you did catch and tell them where they lost you? Seems a bit simpler. I usually stop people if they start back at the begining.....maybe that's just me? They don't have esp, they don't know which part you missed. All you did was ask for a repeat, which is what they're doing, can't exactly hold that against them, you gotta help them a little.

Why don't you try telling them the part you did catch and tell them where they lost you? Seems a bit simpler. I usually stop people if they start back at the begining.....maybe that's just me? They don't have esp, they don't know which part you missed. All you did was ask for a repeat, which is what they're doing, can't exactly hold that against them, you gotta help them a little.
Yeah, that's what I do, tell them which part I missed. It makes life much simpler.

I know it's been said a million times but...

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry!"

When I mishear things (sofa/sulfur, harvest/artist, etc...) my friends get a good laugh out of it. Most of the time it doesn't bother me but it's kind of becoming a running joke these days. Starting to bug me a little. ("Oh, Kristin. You and your hearing!") :(

Relay calls are the worst. I called through relay to make an appointment for a bone scan. They kept hanging up on me once they heard the relay introduce themselves. I got mad and thought I'll run over there and give them hell. It's only 3 min away. I went over there after the calls and told them, "Stop hanging up on me, I'm trying to make an appointment with you!". They apologized and assured me they would answer it next time.

This happens way too often. Another time, calling a mechanic, he said, "We don't accept relay calls" and hung up. I had my mother call him to tell him off and to accept my calls. He apologized said that it was due to fraud, he kept getting scams through relay.

It's a shame that relay is being used to scam people which gives relay a bad name for us Deaf people.

Relay calls are the worst. I called through relay to make an appointment for a bone scan. They kept hanging up on me once they heard the relay introduce themselves. I got mad and thought I'll run over there and give them hell. It's only 3 min away. I went over there after the calls and told them, "Stop hanging up on me, I'm trying to make an appointment with you!". They apologized and assured me they would answer it next time.

This happens way too often. Another time, calling a mechanic, he said, "We don't accept relay calls" and hung up. I had my mother call him to tell him off and to accept my calls. He apologized said that it was due to fraud, he kept getting scams through relay.

It's a shame that relay is being used to scam people which gives relay a bad name for us Deaf people.

I think he is making excuses to not be blame for him to hang up your relay calls. I don't care if he get scam or not, he should have the courtesy to answer your call when you need help with fixing your car or having a bone scan. They don't understand the relay service for the Deaf. We need to educate them about using the relay service. I get upset sometimes too. You are not alone. So sorry that you have to go through with this. **sigh**

I still laugh (well trying not to go for obvious) -- when I give up trying to lipread after a 2nd time and ask to just use paper & pen.. They take forever to look for it.. and it can be hilarious when they're frisking themselves to see where they left their pen! :)

Also it just crazy when they finally give me one item and forget the other.. So usually I just use my iphone to type down what Im trying to say in advance.

Well, at school I had to change my hearing aid battery when we had a sub. So I walk behind my mom's desk (she's one of my teachers!!) and grab the bag. Sub turns around and is about to start yelling at me until she sees the hearing aid in my hand. So she totally just turned white and turned around and make the sign of the cross. (Overkill, much??) I tapped her on the shoulder, and using my best speaking voice, I said, "
ma'm, are you Ok?"

Loved the reaction:giggle:

I bet there is thread somewhere out in the Net called "Annoying ignorant Deaf people stories"

From my rich experience, I see real confusion and misunderstand between Deaf and Hearing. Whose fault? It is not Hearing's fault, it is not even Deaf's fault too.

Sometimes I DO see Deaf people have unrealistic expectation from Hearing, so is hearing people have unrealistic expectation from Deaf. Sometimes, neither of them on the same page. The real problem with this is that 99% of the time, everything is based on audism. Hearing people use audio as primary method of communications though verbally, over years, verbal language becomes written based on audio. There is nothing visually in English language. When Deaf person like myself born Deaf and have no idea of what sounds is like. To me it is just black and white as if it is in visual. When I read some of sentence, sometimes they don't makes sense to me, or I thought of completely different meaning than Hearing people would have thought. I now can see why many Deafies are confused, and at the same time, Hearing people EXPECTS that writing using English is good enough to communicate with Deaf people and assume they understand perfectly clearly. Sadly, this is not the case.

As of right now, there is no such thing as bridge between Deaf and Hearing community. That bridge will not be build until both sides finally see the differences in between and translate closer to exact meaning then that bridge will build.

I am HoH and I tell hearing people that don't know me, "I wear hearing aids, so speak to my face". Seems the hearing people are the deaf ones, they proceed to talk directly into my ear. I can't hear a darn thing then since I can't read their lips. This is especially common in Bars with massive background noises.

I am HoH and I tell hearing people that don't know me, "I wear hearing aids, so speak to my face". Seems the hearing people are the deaf ones, they proceed to talk directly into my ear. I can't hear a darn thing then since I can't read their lips. This is especially common in Bars with massive background noises.

Yet we were submissive and tried to listen just to appease them.

"Get CI and get over!"

:roll:

even my lecturers who had MARKED good essays on Deaf cultural sides of education and society had actually said this! incredibly insensitive and it shows they havent learnt anything from me or are too weak as when they read womens magazine articles going on about the miracles of cochlear implants...it really incredible that they didnt stop and think, shocking eh?

I am new here at Alldeaf. Hi, everybody :) I have been deaf since birth, and EVERY time I tell people I'm deaf and I need to see their faces to speech read, they automatically put one hand in front of their mouths for a few seconds. I guess they're trying to test me or be funny. I'm just really fed up with it, and I think it's incredibly rude. Has anybody else experienced that?

I am new here at Alldeaf. Hi, everybody :) I have been deaf since birth, and EVERY time I tell people I'm deaf and I need to see their faces to speech read, they automatically put one hand in front of their mouths for a few seconds. I guess they're trying to test me or be funny. I'm just really fed up with it, and I think it's incredibly rude. Has anybody else experienced that?

OK, my boss just took me to bar for breakfast beer, but nevermind that.

Not sure about the rudeness part. I think its more like we're being assimilated, lol.

But, being assimilated doesnt make sense because um, from my experience in Prague so far.. Uh, i think i'm more confused about whether if US can actually hold itself together.

I find it intriguing that Europeans are so easy to be communicative, i mean in body language/gestures/etc. Americans just dont know the dipshit basic. At least thats how I see it.

I better go and sleep or otherwise i would talk shit about American Empire and whoel lots more.

Back