Adjustment to late onset deafness

Yes, I see what you mean. But, you know, I was born hearing, but I still had a language delay. In fact, I still stutter, and have all my life. So, in that sense, I do understand what it is not to be able to communicate verbally as well as I want to...but you are right, I see the difference. I could hear what was being said, I just couldn't respond well. Still, it is fustrating, I think, for late deafened people who are simply lonely and hoping for support from others with the same issue to be given a cold shoulder because of what someone else did. Like I said earlier, most people in the Deaf community are very kind, and so I'm not complaining, and having dealt with other disabilities all my life I do understand what it is to be treated as though I am worth less because I have some extra challenges. I think the people that overcome that and choose to be kind anyway are the strongest people. It shows strength of character to not lash out at the whole human race for what one part of it did to you. I've found so many people like that in the few months since I've braved up enough to try to be apart of the Community. I've been blessed.

i admire you all, it must be hard coping with late onset deafness because your hearing for a while then bam you become deaf. Hope everybody's doing alright.

Yes, I see what you mean. But, you know, I was born hearing, but I still had a language delay. In fact, I still stutter, and have all my life. So, in that sense, I do understand what it is not to be able to communicate verbally as well as I want to...but you are right, I see the difference. I could hear what was being said, I just couldn't respond well. Still, it is fustrating, I think, for late deafened people who are simply lonely and hoping for support from others with the same issue to be given a cold shoulder because of what someone else did. Like I said earlier, most people in the Deaf community are very kind, and so I'm not complaining, and having dealt with other disabilities all my life I do understand what it is to be treated as though I am worth less because I have some extra challenges. I think the people that overcome that and choose to be kind anyway are the strongest people. It shows strength of character to not lash out at the whole human race for what one part of it did to you. I've found so many people like that in the few months since I've braved up enough to try to be apart of the Community. I've been blessed.

Do you have a problem with grammar? Just asking. That's the kind of language delay I was referring to. My dad is like you in that he has a stutter.

I can relate to having communication problems though. And I sure can relate to having ADD like you. I've been known to put my socks in the fridge and my corn bread saald with mayo in a cabinet instead of the fridge. :pissed: :P I guess dealing with other disabilties has helped you with coping with late onset deafness.

Do you have a problem with grammar? Just asking. That's the kind of language delay I was referring to. My dad is like you in that he has a stutter.

I can relate to having communication problems though. And I sure can relate to having ADD like you. I've been known to put my socks in the fridge and my corn bread saald with mayo in a cabinet instead of the fridge. :pissed: :P I guess dealing with other disabilties has helped you with coping with late onset deafness.

No, I don't think I have a special problem with grammer. Of course, I don't always get it right, but I my 'disability' is not in grammer. I knew what you meant, by the way, and I think it makes perfect sense and is not at all unreasonable that people who are born Deaf or go deaf at a very early age would have trouble with verbal grammer. People who have been hearing all their lives have trouble with it. I was a tad slow as a baby and child, and one of my delays was in language. I have always had a problem with stuttering, with pronouncing words, and with speaking clearly. My therapist says that she thinks I stutter for anxiety reasons rather then for physical reasons now though, and I suppose that's true, since I hardly stutter at all at home but can barely get a sentence out in public or in stressful situations.

:lol:I let the kitchen flood the other day because something distracted me from the fact that I had turned the water on and plugged the sink. Oh well. At least my husband is patient with me. I think being ADD gives me an advantage in creative thinking and such though...I don't know about you. And, yes, I definately think that having dealt with other disabilities all my life has helped me adjust faster to the fact that I am severly hoh, with a prognosis of profound deafness on the not too far horizon. I struggled really badly at first, and you all helped me, and I can't say I'm completely adjusted just yet, but I'm pretty close. It's more and more second nature now, instead of a shock. And, you know what? I think I see the blessing in disguise in having been born with disabilities. I am well on my way to being as happy as I ever was, happier because I have a kind and loving husband and a baby who doesn't care if I hear at all, and much faster, then I probably would have been had having a disability been a totally new thing.

I think having some special issues to overcome lends to a persons strength and character, if allowed...and that's what I'm striving for...to let the things that seem to 'hinder' me help me to become a better, happier person.

I'm glad to know that you have ADD! You seem to be pretty well adjusted! Is your dad's stuttering something he was born with?

man that is what a mod job is then:shock:I

So the Mods are the only ones that can help a person with Latent deafness.

It is not particularly, a mods job.

If we all work together and just contribute to help the latent deafies. Then the Mods, would not have to intervene.

Isn't that what this topic is about?? :cool2:

I just had a thought. Have any of you who are late deafened ever had acceptance problems from the deaf community?

I have been HOH all my life. raised orally. I have had some issues with some from the deaf community.

But like some hearing people, deaf people or anyone in general. Someone always has an issue.

Gotta learn to weed out the good from the bad.

:lol:I let the kitchen flood the other day because something distracted me from the fact that I had turned the water on and plugged the sink. Oh well. At least my husband is patient with me. I think being ADD gives me an advantage in creative thinking and such though...I don't know about you. And, yes, I definately think that having dealt with other disabilities all my life has helped me adjust faster to the fact that I am severly hoh, with a prognosis of profound deafness on the not too far horizon. I struggled really badly at first, and you all helped me, and I can't say I'm completely adjusted just yet, but I'm pretty close. It's more and more second nature now, instead of a shock. And, you know what? I think I see the blessing in disguise in having been born with disabilities. I am well on my way to being as happy as I ever was, happier because I have a kind and loving husband and a baby who doesn't care if I hear at all, and much faster, then I probably would have been had having a disability been a totally new thing.

I think having some special issues to overcome lends to a persons strength and character, if allowed...and that's what I'm striving for...to let the things that seem to 'hinder' me help me to become a better, happier person.

I'm glad to know that you have ADD! You seem to be pretty well adjusted! Is your dad's stuttering something he was born with?
LOL! I've done the same thing tomy kitchen. This morning I left the hot water running in my kitchen and then wondered why my bath water was cold. >.< Fortuantly, sink wasn't plugged.

My ADD drives my parents crazy but most people are fine with it if they aren't ocd about my house keeping. It sucks. When I see my parents I wish there was a cure for ADD but i'm otherwise fine with it. They can't see why I can't just be organzied like them. It's quite possible my Dad was born with a stutter or developed it early in life. Both of my parents are unhappy with me because of my organizal problems.

I know some hearing have problems with grammar and speech. I remember one hearing guy who had to take speech class in 4th grade. There are a variety of reasons why they have problems with speech and grammar . I notice that a lot of hearing are harsh on those with reading and grammar problems. I think it's just rude to be nit picky about grammar toward both hearing and deaf.

I'm glad that dealing with other disablites has helped you cope with deafness. BTW, I don't actually view my deafness as a disablity. I see other's attiudes toward my deafness as a handicap though.

Do you even know how many deaf people leave the water running???
Thinking we turned it off all the way. Not turning back due to we can not hear the water running....

I am almost positive that I am not the only one. Due to other post in this thread I have seen in the past.

Did you do this before you lost your hearing? Or did this started after you hearing loss?

:aw:

Hey hope you dont minding me butting in but i just want to say that the day of my CI activation I left the tap running in the audi waiting room and that was the first time I ever done it LOL

Thinking we turned it off all the way. Not turning back due to we can not hear the water running....

I am almost positive that I am not the only one. Due to other post in this thread I have seen in the past.

Did you do this before you lost your hearing? Or did this started after you hearing loss?

Yeah. It's also quite common for people with ADD to leave the water running.

LOL! I've done the same thing tomy kitchen. This morning I left the hot water running in my kitchen and then wondered why my bath water was cold. >.< Fortuantly, sink wasn't plugged.

My ADD drives my parents crazy but most people are fine with it if they aren't ocd about my house keeping. It sucks. When I see my parents I wish there was a cure for ADD but i'm otherwise fine with it. They can't see why I can't just be organzied like them. It's quite possible my Dad was born with a stutter or developed it early in life. Both of my parents are unhappy with me because of my organizal problems.

I know some hearing have problems with grammar and speech. I remember one hearing guy who had to take speech class in 4th grade. There are a variety of reasons why they have problems with speech and grammar . I notice that a lot of hearing are harsh on those with reading and grammar problems. I think it's just rude to be nit picky about grammar toward both hearing and deaf.

I'm glad that dealing with other disablites has helped you cope with deafness. BTW, I don't actually view my deafness as a disablity. I see other's attiudes toward my deafness as a handicap though.

*Big, big hugs to Skeptic* I'm sorry sweetie. I can sympathize. My parents decided early in life that I was just not trying, and that I was hyper because I was trying to be a problem. My dad, I think, would have been kinder, but he always defers to my mother, so no soap. My mother told me that the only reason I didn't walk until I was two was because I 'just didn't want to'. Right. Ok ma. Anyway, I know what you mean. My parents always make me wish I was hundred percent difference, but you know what? When it's just me and my husband and baby and or me and some of my close friends, I feel excepted and loved. They make affectionate jokes of my ADD and help me with things like driving, which I don't do well because I can't remember left from right. It helps me remember that it's ok to be different. I don't always feel this positive about it...but I'm pretty happy tonight.

As far as saying 'disability' when referring to deafness/hoh, I really didn't mean it as a negative thing...just trying to explain how the things I was born with afffected my coping skills with being hoh, if you see what I mean. I hope I didn't offend, I really didn't mean to.

I think the grammer issue happens because people take it as a sign of intellgence. If you speak well, your mind must be good is the thinking. I don't agree with it of course. I don't have a bad mind but I sound very needy when I get nervous. It's like a lot of other things...people assume things they don't know because it's easier then taking the time to find out. Though, I will say that I think alot of people mean better then they seem to mean. It's ignorance I guess, and fear of what is different then themselves.

My leaving the water on happened wayyyyy before I ever went deaf. My brain just doesn't work in a logical way sometimes. I do all kinds of silly things...but it keeps people who love me amused, at any rate. I also put the coffee grounds where the water is supposed to go in the coffee machine lately. It's amazing to think that I actually lived by myself for a year before I married my husband, isn't it? :giggle:

Hey hope you dont minding me butting in but i just want to say that the day of my CI activation I left the tap running in the audi waiting room and that was the first time I ever done it LOL

Of course you aren't butting in. :laugh2: That sounds like something I'd do.

The toilet's actually flooded and my parents heard something so they went to check and left tap on. this was 5 mins before i got activated and im always leaving tap on even now lol

*Big, big hugs to Skeptic* I'm sorry sweetie. I can sympathize. My parents decided early in life that I was just not trying, and that I was hyper because I was trying to be a problem. My dad, I think, would have been kinder, but he always defers to my mother, so no soap. My mother told me that the only reason I didn't walk until I was two was because I 'just didn't want to'. Right. Ok ma. Anyway, I know what you mean. My parents always make me wish I was hundred percent difference, but you know what? When it's just me and my husband and baby and or me and some of my close friends, I feel excepted and loved. They make affectionate jokes of my ADD and help me with things like driving, which I don't do well because I can't remember left from right. It helps me remember that it's ok to be different. I don't always feel this positive about it...but I'm pretty happy tonight.

As far as saying 'disability' when referring to deafness/hoh, I really didn't mean it as a negative thing...just trying to explain how the things I was born with afffected my coping skills with being hoh, if you see what I mean. I hope I didn't offend, I really didn't mean to.

I think the grammer issue happens because people take it as a sign of intellgence. If you speak well, your mind must be good is the thinking. I don't agree with it of course. I don't have a bad mind but I sound very needy when I get nervous. It's like a lot of other things...people assume things they don't know because it's easier then taking the time to find out. Though, I will say that I think alot of people mean better then they seem to mean. It's ignorance I guess, and fear of what is different then themselves.

Oh I wasn't offended. :)

Oh good. Grin. Good job Deafteen. My husband just quietly walked into the room, took my hand, walked me into the kitchen and pointed...not that he needed too...I was standing in shallow water (he'd been at work). Luckily, there wasn't too much damage, just a bit of water staining on the cupboards.

Sigh. Yeah. I hate mopping. It's amazing what having a child will do with the ADD brain though...because as much as I mess up, I've never done anything to hurt my baby or put her in harms way. somhow, my brain is always a little clearer when it comes to her.

Back