About deaf schools

WakeyNicole

Reaction score
Hi people.

I literally talk about the deaf schools. In UK don't help deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people, to be honest. UK's government don't want to get deaf schools in UK!

I heard that USA is better because they are always helping with deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people. They have deaf schools in different states! Brilliant! I wish I wanted to go, but I'm not sure if my mum will let me go to USA for the deaf schools.

Why not go to a Deaf School in the UK? There are all kinds of Deaf schools or programs in the UK

I understand BSL is different from ASL. Thus going to the United States- Deaf school would seem to entail learning a different sign system. Not sure what the costs incurred would be-moving to the United States.
Probably worth checking out the "fiscal facts" before moving.
Good luck in your decisions.

UK have 32 deaf schools?! And they don't want to get more deaf schools. I think USA is better than UK! USA beats UK more for the deaf schools!!!
I will get a job and to get more money to save up and I will go to USA for next year, I hope so.

I'm Good luck :) we have a few good ones here in California. I thought about teaching at one, but it's a two hour drive each way. So I teach at a hearing school and use an RTC. However, I'm only aware of the K-12 schools. I assume you're looking for colleges since you're 18?

Yes, but I'm looking for a job in UK since I'm 18 whenever I get more money and I can go to USA in Georgia.

Oh you're looking into post secondary schools? Aren't there Dhh post secondary schools in the UK? I thought there were..

UK have 32 deaf schools?! And they don't want to get more deaf schools. I think USA is better than UK! USA beats UK more for the deaf schools!!!
I will get a job and to get more money to save up and I will go to USA for next year, I hope so.

UK has less population than US - 63 millions in UK and 316 millions in US.

The deafness among birth has been declining due to rubella vaccine and CI, so many deaf schools have low enrollment and they work hard to recruit more deaf students. That why UK government doesn't want put more deaf schools when deaf birth is declining.

Same with US - many states don't put more deaf schools and last new deaf school was opened in 1970's (MSSD, I think so).

There is benefit in US - all TV shows are closed captioned, you will get free VRS (taxpayers cover it), you have rights to get an interpreter, you can't get fired because of deafness. US probably have weak social safety net - depending on states like New York is OK but Mississippi is not. I think UK will probably better social safety net.

Why does USA have a weak social safety net?

because some voters don't want government help on poor people and some of them don't want tax increase - better social safety net require high tax or greater revenues (from gas, oil, coal).

If you have a lot of capability, such as getting a job, take care of yourself, plenty of financial availability so you will be fine.

Have you look at Gallaudet University? Did you finished the high school? You said that you are 18 and you are college age now.

I finished my high school on 2011. Now I am 18 years old, but I have done with my college for IT and Performing Arts. I don't want to get another college, to be honest. I am looking for a job.

Wait, you finished high school at 16, finished college in 2 years, want to go to a deaf a school in the US, so you made a thread about deaf schools, but you don't want to go to school you want a job??

The deafness among birth has been declining due to rubella vaccine and CI, so many deaf schools have low enrollment and they work hard to recruit more deaf students. That why UK government doesn't want put more deaf schools when deaf birth is declining.

Same with US - many states don't put more deaf schools and last new deaf school was opened in 1970's (MSSD, I think so).

The CI? Um kids with CI are still deaf.(and has a huge huge range from excellent users of CI to only gets enviromental sounds or some speech/sounds) There are still a lot at the oral deaf schools like Mary Hare and St. John's. The problem with deaf school enrollment isn't due to declining numbers of dhh....but the fact that just as here in the US, deaf schools are usually considered last resort. Which is really sad. The problem is kneejerk inclusion, and assuming that an inclusion approach is going to be Innovative. We need to stop wringing our hands over "segregation" and just get it through our heads that some kids need specialized schools/placements
And I would quibble that the last new deaf school was MSSD....What about Rocky Mountain Deaf School? What about Metro School for the Deaf? What about Sequoia School for the Deaf?

The CI? Um kids with CI are still deaf.(and has a huge huge range from excellent users of CI to only gets enviromental sounds or some speech/sounds) There are still a lot at the oral deaf schools like Mary Hare and St. John's. The problem with deaf school enrollment isn't due to declining numbers of dhh....but the fact that just as here in the US, deaf schools are usually considered last resort. Which is really sad. The problem is kneejerk inclusion, and assuming that an inclusion approach is going to be Innovative. We need to stop wringing our hands over "segregation" and just get it through our heads that some kids need specialized schools/placements
And I would quibble that the last new deaf school was MSSD....What about Rocky Mountain Deaf School? What about Metro School for the Deaf? What about Sequoia School for the Deaf?

Back in 1950's-1970's, there were many deaf people that overcrowded the deaf school, that lead to the congress to pass the bill in 1973 to allow deaf students to enroll at local public school.

Now, we have rubella vaccine that cause declining of deaf babies and FDA allows CI to implantable in deaf babies, so enable them to develop the language at beginning. Consideration on deaf school as last resort is correct.

I'm talking about residential deaf school - last new one was MSSD in 1970's.

I used my CI, but I just noticed that other hearing people don't understand what I said, the way I talk. I prefer to be friends with all deaf people because they understand me the way I use signing language.

If person don't understand what you speaking about that is a separate "difficulty". As I understand my Cochlear Implant-has to do with"hearing" not speaking.
aside: I have had it for 6 years.
Why one has "difficulty" speaking has to be explored very specifically-why?
The utilization of signs is very different from speaking.
It is also true if some persons DON"T understand BSL et al-one doesn't communicate with that person-important?

More in the ongoing discussion-Sociology: "deaf culture"

Back