A question for the teachers of the Deaf....

Buffalo

Reaction score
I was reading a paper send by Posts From Hell when I learned of the requirements for the Teacher of the Deaf's license. It is required in some states that the teacher took courses on Deaf Education in the pathological view. I think the requirements should be changed. What are your opinions???

I had to take some certification tests because my current state doesn't recognize my credentials from three other states...and when I was studying for it, I realized in order for me to pass them, I would have to take an audist/pathological approach and answer those questions based on those views.
I think there was a video I made and posted on Facebook regarding how I had to answer as if my students were from artificial settings like characters in the textbooks. My teaching experiences are completely disregarded.

Gag!!! There was a brief mention of bi-bi, but that included spoken language. There was no mention of deaf culture model and its aspects.It was mostly audiology and speech stuff. Blah. My students aren't walking audiograms.

I would like to see that requirement for pathological point of view change to cultural point of view. How can we go about it?

I doubt it because the qualifications of special education services with IDEA has to do with pathological views. :/

Interesting. are there any way for deaf teachers to do something about how the tests are. that sucks.

There are some TOD programs that are considered "comprehensive", in that they teach both ASL and spoken language approaches. There are others that label themselves "bilingual-bicultural" and they, of course, focus on ASL as the language of communication with English taught as a second language through writing. There are also some programs that are auditory-oral in philosophy. They focus on the use of amplification and cochlear implants to teach English as the language of instruction and communication.

BU has a great program (in MA, a masters such as this is required to be a teacher of the deaf), you have to come in with basic ASL already, and they require extensive additional work in ASL and deaf studies:

• literacy skills in deaf Children (4 credits)
  • 1 research course for 4 credits (i.e. Rs 600: Perspectives on inquiry)
  • seminar: selected topics in deaf studies (4 credits)
  • Psychology and the deaf (4 credits) expressive/Receptive Vocal Processes (2 credits)
  • language and the deaf Child (4 credits)
  • American sign language iii (4 credits)
  • Advanced language and the deaf Child (4 credits)
  • instructional strategies and the deaf Child (4 credits)
  • American sign language iV (4 credits)
  • American sign language structure (4 credits)
  • deaf literature and Asl Folklore (4 credits)
  • topical seminar in literacy, language & Cultural studies (variable credits) American sign language V: Academic language (2 credits)
  • American sign language Vi (2 credits)
  • Advanced seminar: learning and the deaf (2 credits)

My certification didnt require it.

Ironically, in order for me to become highly qualified, I had to pass the Elementry Ed Praxis assessement and a lot fo the stuff on the tests (especially in the language arts section) had nothing to do with Deaf education. lol

Back