A new SCAM - "Jury Duty Summons"

Nutty

Reaction score
I got this information from work...

A new SCAM - "Jury Duty Summons"

One of the senders claims to have checked this one out on Snopes. And,

claims it is true.

It is listed under the title "Jury Rigged" in Snopes. It is one more example of not giving out sensitive information unless you are CERTAIN of the identy of the caller.

JURY DUTY SCAM:

This has been verified on Snopes.com (link listed below) and by the FBI(their link is also included below).

Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summons for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty that a new and ominous kind of scam has surfaced.

Fall for it and your identity could be stolen, reports CBS. In this con,

someone calls pretending to be a court official who threateningly says a

warrant has been issued for your arrest because you didn't show up for jury duty. The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Sometimes they even ask for credit card numbers. Give out any of this information and bingo! Your identity just got stolen.

The scam has been reported so far in 11 states, including Minnesota, Oklahoma, Illinois, and Colorado . This (scam) is particularly insidious

because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into

giving information by pretending they're with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Jury Rigged

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Press Release September 28, 2005

I'm not surprised that this is happening. There are a lot of gullible people out there.

That's why I always go to the source whenever I am informed of any problems.

If someone claiming to be from the DMV was calling me about my license, I would go there in person.

If someone claiming to be part of jury summons, I would go to the court house.

It's like the oil company scam. They say they work for a gas/oil company and wanted to offer me a job where I can work at home. I always ask them for their full name and phone number... and contact the original company, not from any phone number they provide me. :roll:

Old scam! First seen that was 3 years ago. That is why I always treat anything strange or new as SCAM!

The only way to solve this problem is making SSN illegal for any financial or identification purpose outside of government.

Too bad since 1990 uncle sam REFUSED to do anything, and they are the one who SHOULD pay for all the damages!

i have seen this before.. my mom got the call saying they need her info and she just hanged up on them .. she knew it is a scam.. cant believe alot of are doing this .. more and more scams nowadays.. sigh!

i have seen this before.. my mom got the call saying they need her info and she just hanged up on them .. she knew it is a scam.. cant believe alot of are doing this .. more and more scams nowadays.. sigh!

... especially Nigerian scammers :ugh3:

its very sad.. there's even more odd scammers out there such as your family member died.. and the scammers look at obititues(sp?) and call you saying "your husband bought this ring and he had made his 2 payments so far.. he still owe his last 3rd payment of $345.. i havn't recieve any payment since, if i didn't recieved in 10 days i'll foward this bill to collection agency"

and many more.. its very sad.. i'm so pleased that i don't have to use regular phone and its harder for hearing to contact me.

its very sad.. there's even more odd scammers out there such as your family member died.. and the scammers look at obititues(sp?) and call you saying "your husband bought this ring and he had made his 2 payments so far.. he still owe his last 3rd payment of $345.. i havn't recieve any payment since, if i didn't recieved in 10 days i'll foward this bill to collection agency"

Oh brother! I cannot believe that I am reading this post. :mad:

Back