30/f/pa

MarlaSigner

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here. I am wondering if there is anyone round my age that lives anywhere close to me? I really want to make new friends. I am hearing, but I have been learning ASL since 2009. Let me know if you are interested in chatting with me.

Hi!! I'm 30, female, hearing. I've been learning ASL since 2009. I've worked before as a Speech Therapist in schools. I have taken a sign language course in monroe county, pa. I have a name sign, which I am very proud of. It is a D-handshape in the motion of "speech therapy" I know 0 Deaf people or even signers in my area. To practice my sign language I have made those signing to music videos on youtube. I love to sign to songs on the radio. I mostly sign SEE to work on my quickness. My expressive sign language is pretty good, however when someone signs to me, which happens rarely, I find myself forgetting most signs. I would love to sign with someone. I did introduce myself in the Introduce me section. I gave you guys a better introduction though.

Hi!! I'm 30, female, hearing. I've been learning ASL since 2009. I've worked before as a Speech Therapist in schools. I have taken a sign language course in monroe county, pa. I have a name sign, which I am very proud of. It is a D-handshape in the motion of "speech therapy" I know 0 Deaf people or even signers in my area. To practice my sign language I have made those signing to music videos on youtube. I love to sign to songs on the radio. I mostly sign SEE to work on my quickness. My expressive sign language is pretty good, however when someone signs to me, which happens rarely, I find myself forgetting most signs. I would love to sign with someone. I did introduce myself in the Introduce me section. I gave you guys a better introduction though.

I think it is great that you use sign language sometimes. Most speech therapists don't sign. Welcome to AD!

I think it is great that you use sign language sometimes. Most speech therapists don't sign. Welcome to AD!

Thank you! It's great to be here. I was on tagdeaf.com a million years ago. I've missed being able to communicate with the Deaf community. I love my fellow signers!

Welcome, did you search meetup.com for deaf or ASL groups in your area

Deaf meetps in my area

Welcome, did you search meetup.com for deaf or ASL groups in your area

I did! and I went to one. it was in philadelphia and it was hard to find parking, by the time i got in the meeting was basically over. someone told great sign language/deaf joke. I'm sure you've heard/seen it, the one about the lumberjack trying to chop down the tree but the tree won't fall because it is
deaf and can't hear the lumberjack telling the tree to timber, so he has to fingerspell it.

i'm not far from philly, but from center city i am. i went with my friend last time because he was curious. he moved away and i don't want to go alone. i should try again, but i really don't want to travel that far.

my friend asked me yesterday why i'm so into sign language/deaf culture even though no one i know is deaf. i told her, "i love the culture. they don't beat around the bush. they don't interrupt each other. if you don't want to talk to someone, you just look away. plus you can communicate while you have food in your mouth, at a loud concert or a silent library, or even though sound proof glass."

i am so so interested in learning deaf idioms and such. i might be losing my hearing, or everyone i know mumbles.:ty:

Back