Yuor own Sign name.

dragonsign

Reaction score
I heard this and that. rules say you cant make up your own sign name..it has to be from a teacher..but on the other side I hear you can make up your own name..as long it has the first letter of you real name and then a sign..like for me it might be Dragon with a "R' or something like this use the "R" sign the the sign for dragon..cause I love dragons to death.

Name sign for hearies come from Deafies.

My name is word, so my name sign just sign for Sunshine.

wait..ok so Deaf have to give you a name sign? and yours is Sunshine / the sign for Sunshine.

Yes, my name Sunshine, my name sign just sign sunshine.

I always see name signs only come from deaf. Hearies don't pick.

Only people with no contact with other Deaf people make up their own name signs. Tradationally, it should come from another Deaf person AND please follow the ASL name sign rules. There are so many name signs out there that break all the rules

I heard this and that. rules say you cant make up your own sign name..it has to be from a teacher..but on the other side I hear you can make up your own name..as long it has the first letter of you real name and then a sign..like for me it might be Dragon with a "R' or something like this use the "R" sign the the sign for dragon..cause I love dragons to death.
I've never heard that a name sign should come from a teacher. Making up your own name sign is also discouraged. Normally, if you don't have deaf parents who would have named you as a baby, your name sign would come from someone in the deaf community, as part of normal interaction.

My sign name came from my Deaf club while at church. It matches a sign name that a person here on AD thought would be good for me. Kinda crazy that with a few years in between, to people come up with the same name sign and I never said a thing to the Deaf club about the one I got here.

Mine is using the "K" handshape and the sign for shy with the "K".

Here are some rules for you, and a link to help you become more familiar with how it works. :)

Combo name signs are not encouraged in (traditional) Deaf Culture. While there are many Deaf (and ASL teachers) who still give out combined name signs, this is not reflective of the classic (golden days) of Deaf society nor the emerging resurgence of respect for classic/traditional ASL.

A native Deaf signer sent the following:

A "combo name sign" is describing a person's physical feature or personality with a handshape corresponding to the first letter of person's name. For example:
Paul "P" as in sign for laugh: the handshape P. On side of the mouth as if you're signing laugh. (That's a combined sign and a no-no)

Laura "L" as in having long eyelashes: the handshape L in a sweeping motion near the eye. (Combined)

Bev "B" as in "happy". (Combined)

Instead stick to either descriptive namesigns WITHOUT the manual alphabet letter, (for example, it's ok to use a bent 5:HS as a name sign for Missy who has curly hair),
OR
Stick to arbitrary with the first letter of person's name without meaning (for example- the letter N-shaken in space in front of the signer. )

Many native Deaf are particularly sensitive to combined signs. The use of combo namesigns is like saying that ASL language rules are insignificant and/or that the person is "hearing minded." (Not familiar with the way Deaf do things.)

namesigns

so how does another Deaf person pick a sign name for that person?

My son gave me mine when he was about 4. It is a "J" signed over the heart. So named because" my name is Jill and he loves me".

My son's name sign is a shaken "P" (for Patrick) and because purple was his favorite color at the time. Essentially, it is the sign for purple.

Mine is curly hair sign in BSL cos my hair will curl/wave when it is wet from rain or shower or swimming, sometimes it goes crazy curl/wavy mess so my Deaf friends gave me that sign. But when my hair is dry, it little bit wavy, it doesn't show up much.

Back