"You're so lucky you're deaf"

I knew someone who wished to be deaf. I just looked at her like she was a crazy person

I've got that line countless of time. Usually, I'd be nodding my head off saying "uh huh, yeah, blah, blah." It's like, so what? I'm deaf, big deal. I don't read much into it. I don't take it as an offensive term.

If it was said by someone that I know, I usually say - Better you than me. :P

My kids are unlucky to be hearing because they hear dogs barking next door all day.

But there are a lot of other things your kids are able to hear , I am sure your kids have a life and are away from home part of the day. You're focusing on just one sound and there are so many more wonderful sounds to hear.

Simple tell your hearing friend to spend in the quiet room. I promise you, the sound-less will drove them CRAZY.

Otherwise, born to be deaf is different story :)

But there are a lot of other things your kids are able to hear , I am sure your kids have a life and are away from home part of the day. You're focusing on just one sound and there are so many more wonderful sounds to hear.
Of course, I am not saying that they are always unlucky.

BTW, USPS management provides ear plugs (which I don't need) because of loud noises made by machines all night. In other words, hearing employees who wear them are deaf for 8 hrs. LOL

One thing I am disappointed about is not being able to hear rock & roll music so what did I do? I installed two 12" subwoofers in my car so I can feel the lowest bass. Better than nothing. I like hip-hop because it has plenty of low bass regardless of stupid lyrics but it drains my car battery so quickly. Damn hip-hop!

I've had some friends telling me that. I usually tell them "You're lucky you're able to hear music."

I accept the compliment for having someone say "you're so lucky, you are deaf". That is why my signature said to prove a point. I am really glad to be deaf. If you are late deafened or hard of hearing, then you should be happy that the hearing people had to put up with so many noises that they can not stand them. We are fortunate that we are able not hearing the noises that bother other hearing people. So accept the compliment. It is not rude or insensitive. It really does make sense though. :)

Totally ignorance and the garbage spewed out of some people's mouths :shock:...

It is amazing some of the things people say on the opposite end of the vulgarity spectrum, isn't it? I'm talking about the well-dressed people who come knocking on your door on Sunday afternoons. Sometimes it's two guys with bikes and ties, sometimes it's black women with great oratory skills and personalities (they always pick the slick, personably, highly skilled talkers). It's even worse than what you hear on the F-bomb side, because that "clean" side can represent enslavement of the mind with religious ideology, while the f-bombing can represent the freeing of the mind to lash out or express itself in a more natural, baser level. Just my opinion. What's funny is I rarely cuss around family, but I cuss at home.

Cave Woman

Yeah I think there is nothing lucky about not being able to hear if someone is trying to break into my house or not hearing my baby crying at night and she was sleeping right next to bed. I did not feel lucky about that at all, I felt awful!

I have that issue about living alone. I have to sleep with sensory deprivation, otherwise I look for things moving around in my room or in the hallway when I go to the bathroom. It doesn't help that I revert to my cave self when it gets dark at night when I turn the lights off. You wouldn't recognize who I am if you caught me off-guard like that.

BTW, USPS management provides ear plugs (which I don't need) because of loud noises made by machines all night. In other words, hearing employees who wear them are deaf for 8 hrs. LOL

One thing I am disappointed about is not being able to hear rock & roll music so what did I do? I installed two 12" subwoofers in my car so I can feel the lowest bass. Better than nothing. I like hip-hop because it has plenty of low bass regardless of stupid lyrics but it drains my car battery so quickly. Damn hip-hop!

Do you have stiffening caps installed in-line on the negative cable going to your bass amp or your power distribution block? That might help with that, or you need to upgrade your alternator or even add a second battery to help handle a higher power load. Some stock alternators don't handle power stereo equipment very well.

Sounds can bug people and make them want to be deaf. Not nice about your child's music though.

Do you have stiffening caps installed in-line on the negative cable going to your bass amp or your power distribution block? That might help with that, or you need to upgrade your alternator or even add a second battery to help handle a higher power load. Some stock alternators don't handle power stereo equipment very well.
I have one 12-farads Tsunami cap installed and yellow-top Optima battery replacement. I have no problem with electronics while driving. Anyway, with the engine not running during my lunch break at work, I was playing hip-hop CD that I borrowed from my friend. It drained the battery much faster than rock music because of heavy bass.

I can post a pix of my system if you want to see. I drive a '07 Scion tC.

Yeah I think there is nothing lucky about not being able to hear if someone is trying to break into my house or not hearing my baby crying at night and she was sleeping right next to bed. I did not feel lucky about that at all, I felt awful!

I worry about this too...it scares me. I'm grateful I have a hearing husband to help with that. But still there are times he has to go out at night to get something for the kids (like milk or formula or what have you) and it creeps me out. I feel sooooo much better now that I have a hearing dog, to let me know when something is going on that shouldn't be. Even though I feel better with him, I'm still nervous. Because I have no clue if he would defend us or not...I think he would...he sure is big and scary enough to eat someone alive. But still, I understand what you mean. I'm not so much worried about myself as I am my children.

Back