Your National food of your home country

True. There really is no "American" food (except maybe turkey). It's either state/regional or ethnic or a mix of both.

Didja forget apple pie? :lol:

the whole idea, is send PICs and THEN you can describe...:wave:

I do not know how to post one picture , I would have to post the link that showed Russian food.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bee...5fWOdDx0wHqtoBg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=698

This was served cold the beet is dices up small and cooked with water , it been so long since I had but I think mom added some sugar . We would the sour cream in the bowl then add the soup and have Russian black rye and this is not the stuff you buy in store today . This was real Russian rye, the loaf was round and dad would take it put it in the crook of his arm and cut the bread . My younger sister was always afraid dad would cut his chest and I was so proud of the way dad cut the bread . I wish I had a picture of dad cutting bread.
Dad like white potatoes boiled too this part . Plus we had a pitcher of ice cold water for all our meals. Then dad would tell us stories about going up in Russia.

Guess where I grew up:
Still love these. Potato, onion & egg:
ksgyedg

I became a vegetarian very young. Might have seen one too many of these on the table:
ls5q5pu

Food fights are ok, but only with tomatos:
mhdmyv2

American... But there are large Chinese and Mexican populations in this city for many generations, so Mongolian Beef could count as my favorite national food.

mongolian-beef.jpg

... We would the sour cream in the bowl then add the soup and have Russian black rye and this is not the stuff you buy in store today . This was real Russian rye, the loaf was round and dad would take it put it in the crook of his arm and cut the bread…
That sounds like the bread my dad would bring home from a restaurant kitchen. I've never been able to find it anywhere else. It was served at one of his favorite restaurants but not sold to the public. My dad "made a deal" with the head chef and would stop by the kitchen to buy some each week. It had more character than any other bread I've tasted.

You're making me hungry!

Dad like white potatoes boiled too this part …
I've heard how potatoes are a meal staple in Russia and Ukraine. When TCS visited Ukraine they served potatoes at every meal.

Plus we had a pitcher of ice cold water for all our meals. Then dad would tell us stories about going up in Russia.
That sounds like the best part of all. :)

American... But there are large Chinese and Mexican populations in this city for many generations, so Mongolian Beef could count as my favorite national food.

mongolian-beef.jpg

I get a dish by this same name at P.F.Chang....yummmmm

Guess where I grew up:
ksgyedg

I became a vegetarian very young. Might have seen one too many of these on the table:
ls5q5pu

mhdmyv2

Are you Nordic?

I spent my childhood in Indiana sooooo...though personally, I cannot stand most meats (I can handle chicken/turkey and fish) and never understood the fascination with tenderloin...

That sounds like the bread my dad would bring home from a restaurant kitchen. I've never been able to find it anywhere else. It was served at one of his favorite restaurants but not sold to the public. My dad "made a deal" with the head chef and would stop by the kitchen to buy some each week. It had more character than any other bread I've tasted.

You're making me hungry!

I've heard how potatoes are a meal staple in Russia and Ukraine. When TCS visited Ukraine they served potatoes at every meal.

That sounds like the best part of all. :)

I wish we had recording dad telling this Russian story. Yes , potatoes and sour cream are Russian meal staple. Russian use sour cream like we use ketchup . The black Russian rye had a nice thick chewy crust , it was better than eating cake. Yes is had a lot character , the black rye is the stores is horrible .It's too soft and had caramel coloring to made it look black.
I know Grummer should put warning that this threat could made you gain weight.

Guess where I grew up:
ksgyedg

ls5q5pu

mhdmyv2

What do you call the Potato, onion & egg things , they look yummy!

It's confusingly called a tortilla (but much different then the Mexican kind) and is a common part of Spanish tapas (appetizer) spread. It is really a great comfort food and filling enough for a meal. It is pretty simple to make in a single pan.
Spanish Omelet - Recipe for Spanish Omelet - Tortilla Espanola Recipe - Tortilla de Patata Recipe

Maybe I will try to made it when my daughter and granddaughter sleep over .
It sound very yummy. Thanks for the link. I add it to my favorite list.

Vampire's soup is Tomato Soup , I looked it up BORSCH is made only with beets and not red like blood soup.

Right, Beets with potatoes and sliced cabbages with sour cream...very delicious! If you plan to go Russian restaurant, order one...but I must warn you some Russian restaurant cook borsch with ketchup, it's a no-no! Some people cook borsch differently and it taste like soap. (barf!) Make sure you go to five star Russian restaurant, they serve you the finest borsch, and that will make you say oh f**k! :D

well, the links are there, anyway - having problems getting pic's to load...

it's example of traditional Ashkenazi Jewish food...also like hummus and Israeli salad,
and then we have things like wild salmon and Thai and Indian food, which I also love - tried to get pic's and my computer just kept freezing up-

Right, Beets with potatoes and sliced cabbages with sour cream...very delicious! If you plan to go Russian restaurant, order one...but I must warn you some Russian restaurant cook borsch with ketchup, it's a no-no! Some people cook borsch differently and it taste like soap. (barf!) Make sure you go to five star Russian restaurant, they serve you the finest borsch, and that will make you say oh f**k! :D

I don't think we have any Russian restaurants around . My mom never used ketchup in her borsch, that sound awful. I brought a bottle of it once and it horrible .

http://www.cafestpetersburg.com/soups.htm

There is one in Boston and they have borsch with no ketchup .

Google Image Result for

don't know if above will work tried to get a pic- immediately I thought of halavah, a childhood memory desert, that also makes me think of my dad, who just loves fresh halavah....

yeah, borscht came to mind, too, WDYS!

and these: Google Image Result for http://www.tbabeverly.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Sweet-Lokshin-Kugel-Recipe.jpg

I wish I had not looked I love kugel I made it with blueberries once and
OMG it so yummy. My sister and friend loved it too.

with blueberries is creative and bet it's yummy!
my mom makes sweet or sour noodle kugel, without the raisins-

Back