Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

JennyPenny1014

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am a high school senior.

I have taken two years of sign language and wished to continue learning not just the language, but the culture, so I took part in an independent study. Instead of just conducting regular research, I wanted to hear what actual people had to say about the subject.

So the question I have for anyone who wants to participate is:

How do you feel about cochlear implants? Do you feel that they will make sign language obsolete?

I’ve never had this conversation with anyone before, so I am open minded to everything you have to say. What I’ve gathered so far is that the community is split. I believe that cis will not destroy the beautiful culture. Not everyone is able to get a ci, and those that can are still Deaf, especially when the external piece has to be taken off. Not that I agree that it is right, but the world we live in is a hearing one. There are many advantages to getting a ci, and no matter what you decide, you are still Deaf. A piece of technology does not change who you are or your culture.

I also believe that many people aren’t educated on the opposing side’s arguments (both hearing and deaf). Hearing people jump at the chance to “fix” their child with a ci and end up never teaching the child about the Deaf community. That is not fair to the community as well as their child. It is nice to give your child the opportunity to hear if you can, but by not teaching them sign language and about the deaf community, you are depriving them a part of themselves.

On the other hand, I feel that many deaf people refuse to even consider the advantages of a ci. As I’ve stated before, it is a hearing world, whether it’s right or not. Most hearing people do not understand deaf culture, and are too ignorant to even try to learn. This being the case, it is easier to participate in the hearing community with a ci. And just because someone has a ci, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t Deaf anymore.

I am sorry in advanced if I have offended anyone. Please tell me if you disagree with anything I have said and explain to me why. I’d appreciate any input you have to offer.

P.S. no names will be used in my project, and I will ask you specifically if you are okay with me quoting you. Also, feel free to message me and we can have a one-on-one conversation.

Thank you all so much in advanced. I hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer =]

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am a high school senior.

I have taken two years of sign language and wished to continue learning not just the language, but the culture, so I took part in an independent study. Instead of just conducting regular research, I wanted to hear what actual people had to say about the subject.

So the question I have for anyone who wants to participate is:

How do you feel about cochlear implants? Do you feel that they will make sign language obsolete?

I’ve never had this conversation with anyone before, so I am open minded to everything you have to say. What I’ve gathered so far is that the community is split. I believe that cis will not destroy the beautiful culture. Not everyone is able to get a ci, and those that can are still Deaf, especially when the external piece has to be taken off. Not that I agree that it is right, but the world we live in is a hearing one. There are many advantages to getting a ci, and no matter what you decide, you are still Deaf. A piece of technology does not change who you are or your culture.

I also believe that many people aren’t educated on the opposing side’s arguments (both hearing and deaf). Hearing people jump at the chance to “fix” their child with a ci and end up never teaching the child about the Deaf community. That is not fair to the community as well as their child. It is nice to give your child the opportunity to hear if you can, but by not teaching them sign language and about the deaf community, you are depriving them a part of themselves.

On the other hand, I feel that many deaf people refuse to even consider the advantages of a ci. As I’ve stated before, it is a hearing world, whether it’s right or not. Most hearing people do not understand deaf culture, and are too ignorant to even try to learn. This being the case, it is easier to participate in the hearing community with a ci. And just because someone has a ci, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t Deaf anymore.

I am sorry in advanced if I have offended anyone. Please tell me if you disagree with anything I have said and explain to me why. I’d appreciate any input you have to offer.

P.S. no names will be used in my project, and I will ask you specifically if you are okay with me quoting you. Also, feel free to message me and we can have a one-on-one conversation.

Thank you all so much in advanced. I hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer =]

Why would you think I want to participate in the hearing community? I have my own deaf universe right in my own family.

I'm not even a candidate for CI. The bone of my cochlea is eroding away. You can't put an implant in bone that's eroding away. I'm glad that I can tell hearing people "not a candidate" and be done with any discussion about CI.

sally,yeah i know the feeling. In some way you are lucky to explain so short. Unlike I am a candidate for CI but I chose not to. I can't lie but tell them the truth "I am verycomfortable the way my life is and wasn't interested in having a major surgery in my head. Some of them just nodded with no words. lol

I like what I see.....

I’ve never had this conversation with anyone before, so I am open minded to everything you have to say. What I’ve gathered so far is that the community is split. I believe that cis will not destroy the beautiful culture.

-I wore Cochlear Impant for at least 16 years and it was awesome but my CI is broken now. I actually misses listen to music and I felt sad. My thought on CI, It is okay for deaf people to get it if they made a choice! It's not right for hearing people to force deaf children to get CI. I understand younger kids have more time to learn all sounds but I don't care. I think it is wrong. Even it is VERY wrong for hearing people to force their deaf children to learn ORAL only! They make me so :mad: These kind of people don't care about our deaf culture and deaf pride. I met three deaf boys from middle school, they were vitising my school. They all wore hearing aids and suck part is they don't know any ASL! I wanna smack their parents for allow that.

-Who said anything about CI destory our culture? Only hearing people who force us to learn ORAL is destorying! CI and hearing aids has nothing to do with our culture, only ORAL. Ci and hearing aids is just a tool. Just like robot arms or legs for people who lost them by birth or however they lost them.

joeydeafninja, oh your CI is broken. Are you planning to go back to see DR for fixing your CI?? Since you said you are sad. I feel bad.

Actually no. I planning to get new CI after I get SSI this week. Don't be feel bad about it.

That's good. You are an adult now. just be prepare with ci in the future like you have backs up and be affordable etc. My hubby got a CI about 6 yrs ago. a few months ago, He lost his CI ( the piece thingy on his head) and he has a back up but its worn out. He is still dealing with the insurance since fall. We cant afford 8 thousand for a simple piece that runs to hear.

My hubby got a CI about 6 yrs ago. a few months ago, He lost his CI ( the piece thingy on his head) and he has a back up but its worn out. He is still dealing with the insurance since fall. We cant afford 8 thousand for a simple piece that runs to hear.
I hope he get insurance to cover this somehow. Mine is way old, I'm sure it worthless by now. Your hubby lost manget?

Joey (btw I love your username =]),
I'm curious about how you feel about parents that give cis to their children very young, but also teach them sign language. Do you think that it's ok if that's the case? Because, later on in life they can always choose to just live without the help of a ci if they choose to do so.

I do realize though that many parents that do implant their children don’t actually do this, but hypothetically, are you ok with that if they did both?

And it saddens me too when people with cis don’t know sign language. There are three deaf kids in my school district, yet none of them know sign language. I feel like the are missing out on a part of them.

Sally, are there any times you wish you could get a ci? (not that I’m saying you should or shouldn’t, I’m just curious =])

Joey (btw I love your username =]),
I'm currious about how you feel about parents that give cis to their children very young, but also teach them sign language. Do you think that it's ok if that's the case? Because, later on in life they can always choose to just live without the help of a ci if they choose to do so.

I do realize though that many parents that do implant their childrend dont actually do this, but hypothetically, are you ok with that if they did both?

And it saddens me too when people with cis dont know sign language. There are three deaf kids in my school district, yet none of them know sign language. I feel like the are missing out on a part of them.

First of all, thank you :]
-Second.
I'm currious about how you feel about parents that give cis to their children very young, but also teach them sign language.
That's still wrong because These young kids doesn't get a chance to make a choice to get CI or not. Rise kid first then tell them about CI and listen to their choice. And beside it child's body, not our.

people with cis dont know sign language. There are three deaf kids in my school district, yet none of them know sign language.
Don't forget about hearing aids too. it really sad.

you’re welcome. =]

even though it would be a lot harder for the kids to learn later on? there is a much higher success rate/people have an easier time when they are implanted younger. (just asking, not necessarily what i believe haha)

and what's your response to people that say, well what about getting a child's ear pierced or removing a sixth finger? I know it's not the same thing, but I want to know how you’d respond.

I always forget hearing aids. =/ haha

even though it would be a lot harder for the kids to learn later on? there is a much higher success rate/people have an easier time when they are implanted younger.
It's actually true.

what's your response to people that say, well what about getting a child's ear pierced or removing a sixth finger? I know it's not the same thing, but I want to know how you’d respond.
I understand what you trying to say here. That's way different than CI because CI is a tool that "fix" deaf people. CI actually risk deaf people, even me. I am in greater risk of getting electriced if I'm only dumb enough to swim in while wearing CI, out in rain, and during thuderstorm if I only wearing CI. Getting a child's ear pierced is different. ;)

But to young children don't understand risks of CI. They likely will die if their parents aren't watching their children

I read somewhere that they are coming out with waterproof cis. since you said yours broke, would you be interested in looking into the waterproof one?

Back