You ever get people who tell you not to use sign language?

Feel free to tell her that. Have the discussion with her.

<walks away and does something else>

Good and don't come back.

Feel free to tell her that. Have the discussion with her.

<walks away and does something else>

lol you know you're supposed to have a mind of your own and to question/challenge professor. Not always professor is correct. I have done so and it was a productive "argument." Most of time I lost and admitted my error. oh btw - that's the one who wrote me a fine recommendation. :cool2:

lol you know you're supposed to have a mind of your own and to question/challenge professor.

I do. I stay after class almost every class and ask my professor questions. It seemed a pretty reasonable conclusion to me given the research and results both she and the textbook mentioned. It showed the dialogue of a hearing aphasic person with an interviewer. Then it showed the same with a Deaf aphasic person and sign language. It had both the ASL gloss and the English translation. It also described how just like a hearing Wernicke's patient has no trouble stringing words together but makes up words without realizing it, a Deaf Wernicke's patient signs fluently and rapidly but makes up some signs. And it also mentioned that just like the hearing Broca's patient can produce words but cannot string them together with grammar, and the words are uninflected and produced with difficulty, likewise, the Dear Wernicke's patient could produce signs but they were uninflected and as a result had no grammar. I am not sure if it's outdated or not because the textbook was written in 2005 and my professor just got her Ph.D. so she's still fresh in the field.

I do. I stay after class almost every class and ask my professor questions. It seemed a pretty reasonable conclusion to me given the research and results both she and the textbook mentioned. It showed the dialogue of a hearing aphasic person with an interviewer. Then it showed the same with a Deaf aphasic person and sign language. It had both the ASL gloss and the English translation. It also described how just like a hearing Wernicke's patient has no trouble stringing words together but makes up words without realizing it, a Deaf Wernicke's patient signs fluently and rapidly but makes up some signs. And it also mentioned that just like the hearing Broca's patient can produce words but cannot string them together with grammar, and the words are uninflected and produced with difficulty, likewise, the Dear Wernicke's patient could produce signs but they were uninflected and as a result had no grammar. I am not sure if it's outdated or not because the textbook was written in 2005 and my professor just got her Ph.D. so she's still fresh in the field.

Yes it is very outdated. Even before 2005 it was known useful for stroke victims to learn sign. Cheap school with discount texts and teachers?

hhmmm.... fresh in the field...... how questionable..... :hmm: In other word.. it is unsubstantiated?

Yes it is very outdated. Even before 2005 it was known useful for stroke victims to learn sign. Cheap school with discount texts and teachers?

Not at all. The professors and classes here are excellent (although socially I find the students a bit sheltered and boring).

You know what I will do? I will stop by her office tomorrow and ask her about it.

Not at all. The professors and classes here are excellent (although socially I find the students a bit sheltered and boring).

You know what I will do? I will stop by her office tomorrow and ask her about it.

outstanding. report back to Bott at once. May I ask what school are you attending?

hhmmm.... fresh in the field...... how questionable..... :hmm: In other word.. it is unsubstantiated?

I'm not sure what you mean by unsubstantiated. What I am saying though is that she is not old school generally speaking, so I am just surprised that she taught us something that is apparently so old school.

Well apparently she did not know better if that is what she taught you!

I'm not sure what you mean by unsubstantiated. What I am saying though is that she is not old school generally speaking, so I am just surprised that she taught us something that is apparently so old school.

Frankly, I doubt if a teacher told you that. I think you got a little snippet off the internet and tried to look smart.

Well apparently she did not know better if that is what she taught you!

Apparently not. Sometimes professors are wrong too. It's entirely possible that she's wrong. It just didn't occur to me to question her about it.

Frankly, I doubt if a teacher told you that. I think you got a little snippet off the internet and tried to look smart.

I don't research Linguistics online because I'm majoring in it. I have a blog about that very class if you're interested.

People with aphasia have difficulty with signing as well as speaking. In aphasia and dysphasia, the disorder is at the level of language, not at the level of the vocal apparatus. In fact experiments have been done comparing Wernicke's and Broca's Aphasia in hearing patients with voice and in Deaf patients who sign, and the effects are exactly the same on both languages.

Broca's aphasia does not lead to difficulties with signing. Broca's is related to receptive langugage difficulties, not expressive. And research has also shown that adding a manual component to language helps to compensate for the word retrieval difficulties associated with Wernicke's aphasia.

<steps back> Whoah. Can we turn it down a few notches?

All right. That is what I learned in my linguistics classes this past semester. We had a whole unit on it. It was in my textbook which is only from a few years ago. Obviously you're of a different opinion. Chances are there is research that proves both sides.

Hmmm....a linguistics class that teaches about the aphasias? That is the domain of either a speech and language pathology class or a cognitive psych class. Linguistics deals with the structure and evolution of language.

Exactly, Bott. Manual language is a widely accepted PT for stroke victims suffering from Wernicke's aphasia. Or any traumatic brain injury that results in aphasia.

Thank you. Still will need therapy.

Another good policy is to not attack people and to communicate in a calmer and more civil manner. I do know my facts. That's what I learned in my class. We spent three weeks on it. Some people's "facts" are different. My professor was just as adamant about sign language not being a solution to Wernicke's and especially Broca's Aphasia as you are about it being a solution. So you can go attack her, because I'm not interested in being attacked.

But since your professor was a linguistics professor, and not a cognitive pshychology professor, or a speech and language pathology professor, she stepped way outside her area of expertise. As a result, you learned some very mistaken information.

Back