Power User: Win
Scriptability: Mac
Burning CDs: Tie
OS Updates: Mac
System Tools: Win

Final Score_
Windows XP: 5
Mac OS X: 15

Uhh..obviously you're computer savvy...if you have the time...could you explain in depth? ;) I'd LOVE to have a MAC one day, but hubby won't hear of it. :(

WaterRats13 said:
Uhh..obviously you're computer savvy...if you have the time...could you explain in depth? ;) I'd LOVE to have a MAC one day, but hubby won't hear of it. :(

Here is a simple way to decide if you need a Mac or a PC.

Artist? Mac.

Mere mortal? PC.

MDCodeRedFreak said:
Mac sucks!!! I'd get XP and Longhorn!!

It's common knowledge that Mac-bashers are more likely to be uneducated on Mac computers.

Of course, you just proved that it's a fact.

illustrator said:
Login: Windows XP
General Interface: MAC OS X
Dialog Boxes: Mac
Drag and Drop: Mac
Desktop/Windows: Mac
Icons: Mac
Fonts: Mac
Dock vs Taskbar: Tie
Find/Search: Mac
Help: Tie
Keyboard: Mac
Applications, Adding and Removing: Mac
Applications, Audio: Mac
Applications, Internet: Win
Applications, Video: Mac
Applications, Legacy: Win
Digital Photos: Mac
Speech/Voice Recognition: Mac
Networking: Tie
Power User: Win
Scriptability: Mac
Burning CDs: Tie
OS Updates: Mac
System Tools: Win

Final Score_
Windows XP: 5
Mac OS X: 15

:confused: How can u come up with those scores?? I am trying to figure how did they win? For example, MAC won for keyboard?? OS X doesn't make keyboard the better. It is Apple that designed the keyboard and there are thousands of vary keyboards for PC. Come on and fill me in details.

Banjo said:
It's common knowledge that Mac-bashers are more likely to be uneducated on Mac computers.

Of course, you just proved that it's a fact.

:werd:

Amen to that fact Mac-bashers are those who know zip about Macs. If Macs were a little cheaper than PCs, I'd already own one!

wizard said:
:confused: How can u come up with those scores?? I am trying to figure how did they win? For example, MAC won for keyboard?? OS X doesn't make keyboard the better. It is Apple that designed the keyboard and there are thousands of vary keyboards for PC. Come on and fill me in details.

There are plenty third-party keyboards for Apple computer.

And of course, MS made their own keyboard to get work with Windows.

MDCodeRedFreak said:
Mac sucks!!! I'd get XP and Longhorn!!

1. XP has been nicknamed "Fisher Price for Windows" and I full agree. I'm not afraid of poking my mouse on a corner of the 98 style windows.
2. XP is not really backwards compatible. There have been many things that I used to use on 98 that I can't in XP.
3. I use Bryce 5 in XP and there are some specific things that will not work and I need them to work because it is not [fully] compatable with XP.
4. XP seems much like a waist since it is less secure than 2K.
5. XP's plug and play capabilities have actually installed most everything I have incorrectly so I had to restrain the OS's automation and do things manually too many times.
6. If something starts to go wrong, like the system slowly locking up, Its a rarity if I don't force it to reboot, i.e. press and hold the power switch for 5 sec for manual shutdown.
7. All of the 'helpful' stuff on the left side of the windows just get in the way 99% (no exageration) of the time, hence I have those features turned off.
8. XP is just another example of how BG and MS thrive on the common consumers ignorance. I say this from many things I found that XP likes to 'trick' you into doing; like for all the visual preferences stuff, there is an option that roughly states, "Let Windows choose what is best for my machine," and it turns all the visuals on! Thats an easy way to slow down a machine and cause things to go wrong.
9. Aesthetics are always a plus when used properly, but I have to say that Apple's OS X does a much better job when it comes to aesthetics than MS's XP
10. I've personally done some very mild testing with OS X on a few different systems (Dual and single G4 and PowerBook(s)) set up at a nearby Apple store, and I have to say that the OS is much more efficient when it comes to doing even the basic gfx of the "Desktop" on the computers. (granted, I still have a lot more to learn about OS X before I'm as fluent with it as I am with Windows)

Hmm?

Let's not forget that the Mac OS X has Unix built in too.

*nix is mostly text-based, but you can have a Windows-style feel to it, which is called XFree86 (or something like that). It also has a reputation for being a secure operating system, but then again, if it was as popular as Windows it would have flaws too.

As for Mac's, if you're a web developer, then the Mac is good for you. It's perfectly compatible with 256-bit colors (216 web-safe colors). The only negative part about Mac's is you can't play a majority of games. It is also not mainstreamed into business-oriented companies, except those who are involved in web-development.

On Linux (or any *nix systems), you could use WINE (Windows Emulator) to play games, or dual-boot with Windows to play games, and Linux for "business" or whatever else you want to use it for.

weekend said:
There are plenty third-party keyboards for Apple computer.

And of course, MS made their own keyboard to get work with Windows.
Yes, I know there are plenty third party keyboard for Apple but can you compare that to PC. PC have millions of keyboards and now how can the score said that MAC keyboard is better than PC??

Come on, Illustrator, can you fill us the more details??

I have to admit that it's very true that people who say negative things about Macs obviously haven't experienced Macs themselves. I don't like XP much, it's different from the other Windows OS and it takes up a lot of space and it's all automatic. But the good thing is that it's got those slide shows, it's got a cool transparency thingy. OSX probably takes up less space since it's designed to as a Mac OS, and although I've only seen it a few times, it does look pretty cool!!! Wish I could use OSX on my mac, I'd love to try it out.

Also I just remembered that you can use Emulators, to get the interface of the OS you want to use, like Mac OS on a PC and vice versa if you need to run certain programs which only use a certain OS or if you just like the look of the OS. They're easy enough to use, and a lot less hassle than having two computers.

wizard said:

the score is come from http://www.xvsxp.com/

wizard said:
Yes, I know there are plenty third party keyboard for Apple but can you compare that to PC. PC have millions of keyboards and now how can the score said that MAC keyboard is better than PC??

Come on, Illustrator, can you fill us the more details??

ah yes... I believe that keyboard have far friendly than another, I believe it. For example, there are simple keys that you want to change volume for audible, it could use for DVD movies, and much more with short-cuts key with F1-F15. Of course, one cool easy key to open CD drive than rather to amuse the driver. :D

Ahh... I don't forget when I own Windows that I have been wonder how do I eject CD - all the time, I always click right button on CD icon to eject. But, where will I able to load back in? That's why many lack keyboard for PC. *sigh* That's why I switch for Apple.

With PC, I can use keyboard itself without mouse. With Mac, I couldn't do that. I used to be tech support and often I couldn't use mouse due to varies reason such as desk is full of junk, mouse is dead or odd design that I am not used to it. Using keyboard is a bless for me.

To eject the cd, just press the button on the cd drive while Mac, I have to throw the cd icon into the trash or use command keys. I don't know why Mac users always said negative about eject CD. It is common sense, if you need to open the cd drive meaning that you need to take cd out or put cd in. So it is easy by press the button and take cd out or put cd in same time.

Ziusudra said:
I have to admit that it's very true that people who say negative things about Macs obviously haven't experienced Macs themselves. I don't like XP much, it's different from the other Windows OS and it takes up a lot of space and it's all automatic. But the good thing is that it's got those slide shows, it's got a cool transparency thingy. OSX probably takes up less space since it's designed to as a Mac OS, and although I've only seen it a few times, it does look pretty cool!!! Wish I could use OSX on my mac, I'd love to try it out.
I got my very first computer in 1992 and it was MAC. I loved it and stayed with Mac stuff until 1999. I had hard time to find a job because most companies use only PC so I had to give up Mac. I was lucky that one of my friends was CEO for a company that he could pull me in as a system administrator. I learned A LOT in a year. I am into PC world for 3 years now. My Mac was full of dust until last year; I have decided to give that to my kids. Even now, at my work, I have three computers under my desk. They are Linux, PC and Mac. I use PC more than other two. Even worse, I use Linux more than Mac. I am not telling that Mac is sucks. Mac is very good but some programs I need and it is not available on Mac. I hate to search for program that is compatibility for MAC. I have enough of that.. It is just like you need to look at video tape for closed-caption. I rather to take video tape knowing closed-caption is included.

almost evey publish, printing, media, and graphic design firm and govt are use Mac

wizard said:
With PC, I can use keyboard itself without mouse. With Mac, I couldn't do that. I used to be tech support and often I couldn't use mouse due to varies reason such as desk is full of junk, mouse is dead or odd design that I am not used to it. Using keyboard is a bless for me.

To eject the cd, just press the button on the cd drive while Mac, I have to throw the cd icon into the trash or use command keys. I don't know why Mac users always said negative about eject CD. It is common sense, if you need to open the cd drive meaning that you need to take cd out or put cd in. So it is easy by press the button and take cd out or put cd in same time.

I have experience with keyboard without necessary mouse on Mac. It's same concept as Windows do.

I have seen many people don't use button to loading in the CD. It ruin already.

Last edited:
You may be right but for my building.. It is not true. I am working for state (Dept of Transportation) Tone of delineator down here and they all are using PC. They are using Microstation (autocad) software. I am webmaster and they told me that PC is only computer that they can support. Even though, they still have some Mac around here but not much.

Back