Wow. The Cochlear forum has some uptight people

The environment I grew up in enabled me into believing that being deaf was a bad thing so I adopted that way of thinking that hearing people were superior than me. No more...fuck that shit.

I grew up believing I belong to the hearing world only. And hearing is normal. Deaf is not. I grew up thinking ASL is just a visual aid, and not a language, for the deaf. I didn't realize it is a language.

I also grew up thinking in order for me to be successful, I have to speak and write clearly. And thinking I could be anything I wanted. I wanted to be a forest ranger, vet, or air traffic controller. I tried to do everything perfect but I couldn't reach that goal. No one told me that this world is a hearing world, yet they let me keep dreaming that I am just as good as they are.

I grew up believing I belong to the hearing world only. And hearing is normal. Deaf is not. I grew up thinking ASL is just a visual aid, and not a language, for the deaf. I didn't realize it is a language.

I also grew up thinking in order for me to be successful, I have to speak and write clearly. And thinking I could be anything I wanted. I wanted to be a forest ranger, vet, or air traffic controller. I tried to do everything perfect but I couldn't reach that goal. No one told me that this world is a hearing world.

That was the same for me. That is why I get sick and tired of people getting so fixated on deaf children's ability to hear. Enough is enough.

N
ope. DD was using the reference to ASD as a way of expressing her view why some folks (as if they had ASD in their thinking processes) in getting a CI.
Yes, exactly. And it's SOME people. And I didn't use ASD, per se. I used Asperger's. The two conditions are a bit different. I meant that some people with CIs are extremely obessed with CIs, so it can seem like they have Asperger's syndrome, where the obession is CIs.

Yes, exactly. And it's SOME people. And I didn't use ASD, per se. I used Asperger's. The two conditions are a bit different. I meant that some people with CIs are extremely obessed with CIs, so it can seem like they have Asperger's syndrome, where the obession is CIs.

True.

Sound & Way Beyond

Hi Ron - where did you post the "insulting" remarks. I want to read them myself to see if they sound insulting to me :lol: I always have a hard time finding things over there and don't like to spend a lot of time looking.

Regarding your remarks about the S & WB program, you are correct. I quickly learned to skip thru that darn fax machine. I also feel that there are elements that could definitely be improved. I did use the program quite a bit though and think it really helped.

Regarding your humor: the first thing I asked my DIL when I got home after my activation was "does everybody's poop sound so loud when it hits the water?" She laughed her ass off. Kinda gross, huh?

Off topic: I just had my second CI operation (N5) last Friday (15th) and am (of course) still recuperating. This is the first time I've been able to get on my laptop without throwing up. That didn't happen with the first operation - weird how completely different the two surgeries were.

Still off topic but - has your tinnitis improved any?

OK - I just re read your first post and realized that you must have blogged your remarks on Cochlear - so I guess I just need to figure out how to find you on cochlear (haven't looked for anyone in particular over there yet).

I'm uncomfortable with the negative remarks about people with Asperger's and ASD. There's no need to perpetuate stereotypes and make negative statements about them.

Me again - found your blog and read it all. I thought that gal's Jan 14 comments (you know who I mean) were especially offensive. Sorry, don't have enough nerve to say so there though and incur her wrath and another rant. Ignore her.

Hello Ron, I participated in the cochlear forum about a year ago and noticed there were some rather belligerent people on it. Glad to hear of your humor,it was good. I also remember hearing myself pee again after getting my first hearing aids. That and things like hearing air come out of the ceiling vents when the a/c comes in. When that all happened to me, it also brought back memories of getting my first pair of glasses and seeing individual blades of grass again!

Well, when some of them started bashing me for the post I just deleted it. Figured it would be the fastest way to get them to shut up about it. But I'll share what I said to the best of my memory.

I happen to be an entertainer (Magician/comedian). I often use my deafness in my acts for a variety of reasons. For one things there are people out there who have never really been around deaf people and aren't really sure how to communicate with us. Not all of them are bad people, they just aren't sure what to do. So I use humor about it in my acts to kind of ease that tension. So we can have a couple of laughs together and then just enjoy the shows. It also raises awareness about deafness because they are more comfortable with approaching me with any questions they might have.

Now that I have my CI I'll just have to evolve some more. I'm already finding that being able to hear again after being deaf for so long is also something worth sharing about. When people see our sound processor sometimes they are curious about it. This could be for a number of reasons and it doesn't always mean they aren't good people. I for one would rather someone ask what they are curious about rather then keep staring and wondering. Or perhaps they are even curious about getting one for themselves of a family member.

When these situations comes up it would be nice to share any jokes and funny stories. TO kind of break the ice and keep the conversation casual and ease the embarrassment some people feel when asking someone about these kinds of things. They often start with "I hope this doesn't offend if I ask......." Well if you can have a little laugh together about it then "Being offended" won't happen.

So I thought I could start this discussion where we an share any little stories, jokes or ideas with our CI. Just little things to break the ice with people about it. It doesn't matter how silly they are you can share them. Here are a few to get things started.

The first time I pee'd in the toilet it actually made me jump.

I call my CI my early warning device. Before I didn't know if anyone passes gas until it was to late.

Wouldn't it be great if I could add a feature to my CI to make it start smoking? Be a great way to get out of boring conversations or business meetings.

It's great because now when I'm the stall in a public rest room I can hear when someone else enters the room now.

I'm sure glad she shouted the right name the first time we where together after activation.

The first time I do a magic show with my CI on. It won't matter if the audience applauds or boo's at me. I'll just be excited that I heard them.

If you have any funny ideas jokes or humor to share about being able to hear again feel free to share them. It doesn't matter how small or silly. Maybe you just noticed something and it made you smile with the realization that you could hear it.

Well that's basically what the post is about to the best of my recollection. I realize some of the jokes could be considered "PG 13" but man. I didn't think it would make them all mad like that.

Ron

Last edited:
Wow Ron..your post was sweet and humorous. Nothing offensive about it.

Sorry mzliz. I missed your question before making my last post. Yea, my tinnitus is still there but it is subsiding. Comes and goes but I haven't had a bad one in about a week. So I do think it is getting better. Thanks for asking about it. Man, it was bad for a while.

RonJaxon said:
I'm sure glad she shouted the right name the first time we where together after activation.

The first time I do a magic show with my CI on. It won't matter if the audience applauds or boo's at me. I'll just be excited that I heard them.

:rofl2: These ones got me laughing hard!

I'm uncomfortable with the negative remarks about people with Asperger's and ASD. There's no need to perpetuate stereotypes and make negative statements about them.
Ah, I didn't make negative remarks about ASD/Asperger's. Dunno where you got that.
I was simply comparing the obession that some CIers have with the restricted interest which can be seen in Asperger's.

Did you think DD has an ASD or Asperger's form of obsession that her parents didn't bother to send a mildly hard of hearing child to a Deaf school?

(ASD person here, so feeling entitled to speculate. :lol: )

LOL@Botti. :laugh2:

Clearly, a person doesn't have to be asperger's to be obsessed. I have quite a few obsessions. :D

Back