Worst moment of anger you ever had due to being deaf?

Dark-Half

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper place but there was one time that just stuck to me-

I was walking around in a flea market just enjoying everything there was to look at, I come up to this booth and look around, well this guy had guns on display. Me being a collector and 18 at the time asked him If I could look at the old colt model as seeing that he was an adult nearby. The guy was a grumpy old bastard, you could tell his tone by his facial expression that he spoke to me in a mean way. After he said no and the lot, I understood and left it at that as seeing you have to be 21 to purchase guns but I only wanted to look =/

Anyways I look at the rest of the stuff he has to offer, my back turned to him, there was this little range-finder that other people picked up and looked at, It was an antique and caught my interest, so I pick it up and look at it, of course I wasn't even doing it any harm such as touching the lens, then I procede to look through it, moments later the old fogey nabs it right from my face, it freakin hurt my nose/cheekbone. He was all grouchy barking at me and wobbling, I didn't see what exactly I did wrong. It's probably he stereotyped me as a brat/punk which is fine, although I'm not even close to that he probably thought I'd break it or such. I was kinda well angry at him being such a prick so I snapped at him and made a quite fool of myself :P and just left. After I got home I just thought back on the events and broke down abit. It's hard enough not being able to hear, I frankly don't blame the guy cause he probably didn't know I couldn't hear him although he didn't have to be such a prick and jerk the item out of my hands embarrassing me.

That's the only moment in my life where being deaf really really really SUCKED. Everyone else I ever met and held a conversated with were quite friendly, and actually took the time to write stuff down or repeat phrases so I could understand.

Prob has to be the time my friend told me i couldn't enjoy music b/c i was HOH

I was in seventh grade, and there was this sub who couldn't --or wouldn't-- understand that I could follow the class instruction well, so she kept shoving this answer book in my face...I nearly puched her, and I'm not a violent person.

For me: probably when I worked 66-70 hours/week and I was required to show up at 6 am for work and we'd be done at like 5pm. The first two hours would always be the boss talking to everyone and I'd be sitting there having no idea of what was going on. No one would tell me what was going on, and I'd have to ask a person and if they were nice they'd tell me one or two things of what the boss was saying. So I sat there, and finally at 8am it was time to go but my partner, who was hearing, could communicate and negotiate with the customer, while I did most of the physical labor. We'd drive like 30 minutes to different houses at a time, and he smoked cigars and went to his own home to get things and never told me where we were going. If I asked where we were going, he considered it rude. He'd also meet up with some of his friends while waiting on a client to be ready, and they'd talk the entire time and all his friends jumped into the car filling it with cigar/cigarette smoke and having no respect for me (I don't like cigar/cigarette smell). I quit that job after 4 weeks. But it was very frustrating and the complete silence through the day for 6 days a week brought tears to my face. Some people out there don't know how to be nice, and they will manipulate you, take advantage of your disability, while you're on the job.

wow tha's pretty horrible. I'm sorry that some people are jerk. they don't know any better.

For me it was 2 separate incidents. I was in 4th Grade and Had the worst teacher in the world... she continually treated me like dirt and the other deaf guy in my class like a king. I hated her. She made me ashamed to be deaf but made him proud to be deaf..

The second incident was with a speech therapist I had.. She was similar to that teacher. She didn't seem to think I was a good use of her time and always found some reason to cancel sessions with me.. and wouldn't let my interpreter into the room with me.. she said it was because she didn't want the interpreter there to distract me.. which was bull because I almost never understood that woman.

Mine was at a family/friend gathering for thanksgiving.. and one family friend was talking about when she spoke to my roommate on the phone [this was about when i got meningitis and the friend was trying to contact me, my roommate was trying to explain i'm in the hospital..]

She kept complaining that my roommate was mumbling. I said "hold it right there - she WASN'T "mumbling" to piss you off - she's hard of hearing, like me, but there are some who less fortunate and cannot speak as clearly but she did however try her best to clarify that I was in the hospital. I don't like it when people just think she's mumbling. She isn't lazy!"

Mine was at a family renunion at a beach house in San Diego 7 years ago. I had just started at Gallaudet and was starting to realize how much I have missed out growing up being mainstremed as the only deaf child in a spoken language environment. Well, all my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins were all gathered around watching my grandfather opening gifts and mementos from each of his 5 daughters. He would rectite what each of them wrote to him and I would see my family all laughing or crying. I was sitting there looking at them and realizing that wow...all my life, I have always missed out on important family moments and this obviously was one of them. Nobody even bothered to make sure I knew what was going on. So, I just sat there fuming and drinking more and more alcohol. I left and walked out and took a long walk on the beach. When I returned, my mom asked me what was wrong. I said nothing cuz I knew it was the wrong time to express my feelings and I was extremely buzzed by the time..who knows what will come out of my mouth (yes, I use my voice with my family). My mom kept pushing and pushing me until I finally broke down crying and asking her why cant she and the rest of my family learn ASL or at least make sure I knew what was going on. My mom locked herself in the bathroom and didnt speak to anyone for a whole day after that. At the time, it SUCKED big time being deaf. To this day, I still dont know what important comments my family made to my grandfather. Oh well..at the time I finally understood why my deaf brother avoided any family gatherings growing up. I thank god for my deaf brother for support when our families "forget" us at gatherings.

My mom kept pushing and pushing me until I finally broke down crying and asking her why cant she and the rest of my family learn ASL or at least make sure I knew what was going on. My mom locked herself in the bathroom and didnt speak to anyone for a whole day after that.

Awww, (note my sarcastic tone) you ruined your mother's wonderful day!

Why did she lock herself away? She sounds (no offense, shel) like a drama queen.

Im happy be deaf all in my life..... I dont care what other people thinks of "deaf"

It isnt bother me at all.....

M-:afro:

Awww, (note my sarcastic tone) you ruined your mother's wonderful day!

Why did she lock herself away? She sounds (no offense, shel) like a drama queen.

That wasnt like her so I dont know why she did that. To this day, she doesnt want to talk about it. Oh well..just wrong timing for that to happen. We have moved on. If my mom doesnt want to talk about it we just leave her be. Her choice...

If you think having a severe hearing loss and a hearing dog attached to a leash on my belt is fun, you'd be shocked what people do and say to me! One older lady, yesterday, asked me ". . . is that dog yours?" I responded, "No, I found her wandering the streets.":doh: :roll: Then she talked sensibly to me.

I think my worst moment was when my Deaf co-worker and I came to work and since this was a temporary job, we had to come at a moment's notice and ADA at the time required that terps be called at 4 days notice. So we came to work without terps.

The boss explained the job that we were to do to the hearing and then took us aside. Since I can hear with HA and I can talk and sign, the boss ordered me to act as a terp. She was in a hurry to get the job done. The environment was noisy and dark and I had a great deal of difficulty terping for my worker. The boss got fed up and laid us off.

I was furious and VR refused to consider this a case of job discrimation. I'm a bit leery of temp jobs nowadays.

Back