Women ONly...Period Problems...TMI?

I have been having problems since 2004, and they keep getting worse. NO doctor wants to understand how bad this is.
So, is this "normal" or is something really going wrong and doctors dont care because I dont have insurance?

A week before my period I get really nauseous, no appetite, & "flu like". A few days before I get my period I start having slight cramps. But the day I start my period is the worst thing ever. I have to leave work, go home, and debate on going to the ER.

One time for example, I started my period around 5pm, and so did the misery of my symptoms. I went to the restroom to clean up, and I started to get really shakey, really hot & dizzy. Then on my way back downstairs I passed out and somehow ended up outside. I was shivering from the cold wind (Live in WI, and this was during the winter') but so hot and sweaty. I had the urge I had to use the bathroom, but couldn't stand up, I was so weak. My head was spinning, and my cramps were so bad I could feel my abdomin pulsating.
This all lasted for about 3 hours. This happens everytime I have my period. I wish I could explain just how bad it really is. A girl I work with was the one that found me outside, was really scared, and almost called the ambulance.
Is this normal? What can I do? Also:My legs and hands went really tingly, numb, and swelled up. I was so weak. I couldnt talk.
For a few minutes I was disorientated and didnt know what happened, or how I got outside, I know I hit my head off the door. I think thats what "woke" me up.
I usually get really nauseaous to but this time I didnt.
There was so much blood, and today will be heavy but tomorrow will be light, then it will stop. Its like it all comes out at once.
What is going on?
I wish I could get a hysterectomy, and be done with this misery.

The doc's wont do anything, Ive tried pushing for tests and seeing different doctors but the only option they give me is going back on the depo shot so I wont have periods.

I worry about being anemic-my mom is. I might have to go to the hosptial next month, maybe something will really be done, I cant suffer this for many more months, it gets worse each time. But I usually take meds, then just sit on the toilet for 2-3 hours until the cramps calm down enough and the blood flow is decent enough to go on the couch for the rest of the night. Its just hard with no insurance.

I know there is no quick fix, it would just be nice to know what they heck is going on.

Other info: I'm 24
I started my period when I was 13, and didnt even have cramps, and knew exactly what day I would start. Then started to have problems at 15.
My pain scale: On my 1st day its a 10 , to the point I black out, I cant even talk it hurts so bad. The rest of the month its about a 2-4, theres always pain/cramps there but Ive learned to deal with them. I also have a hiatel hernia, which they blame some pain on.
No kids.

I was on the pill for a year, but it made me so sick, (now Im sick all the time anyhow.) Then they had me on depo-but only for 2 years. I havent been on anything since I was 19-20, and every month its getting worse. Something needs to be done, its just hard without insurance.
I also have pain during intercourse.
I take medication to help with PMS, and it helps but not enough, plus the medications have side effects.

ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?

I don't think it is too much information. There are similar experiences from various women and girls.

But I don't experience that. I never take any medicine for my period since the last time I took a pill or another kind of medicine in my teen-hood time. Those medicines or pills were no help for me; it didn't reduce my pain. I got so fussy and very emotional, so I stopped taking pills or after that. I already have my high endurance so I still am able to bear various pains for only 24 hours. Back in my teenhood, I bore the pain for 96 to 144 hours.

I always had major problems and major cramps. There were times when it went on for 3 weeks, skip 2 then go for 2 weeks, then skip 4 then go for 1 week and skip 5. The cramps would be so bad I did break a bed in the school clinic once. All the doctors told me was to have a baby. That did not work. Over time, they did ease up. Now, I am very close to not having them at all. Nothing is right and I can't track them much, but I also have no pain.

We did find, that if I increased my fiber intake, the cramps eased up some. So I guess you could say, constipation was the root cause of my cramps. :shock:

i dont trust planned parenthood because im not support abortion

i watch news that planned parenthood got banned somewhere in states its would be KS and mores in states

Planned Parenthood Fights Defunding Laws
Planned Parenthood Fights Defunding Laws - ABC News

House Votes to Strip Planned Parenthood of Federal Funding
House Votes to Strip Planned Parenthood of Federal Funding - ABC News

Planned Parenthood sues to stop Kansas funding ban
Planned Parenthood sues to stop Kansas funding ban - The Hill's Healthwatch

Planned Parenthood loses funding in House vote
Planned Parenthood loses funding in House vote - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

im not sure what more to stop funds house states i have no idea

i watch news that planned parenthood got banned somewhere in states its would be KS and mores in states

Planned Parenthood has helped me the most, many times over the past several years.
And not that this has anything to do with it, but I'm liberal, and I am pro-choice, so I support abortion. I dont agree with the action of what they are doing, I just think its the choice of the "mom" because there are already so many kids in this world that are not being taken care of correctly. (BUT thats awhole different thread, I dont want to get into politics.)
I know alot of states that have lost Planned Parenthood funding are because the residents of the state are against abortion and they shut places down, and the news doesnt broadcast everything :)

Did you try to apply for medicaid? Better than having no health insurance. Google health insurance in your hometown, and try to apply to get one... It is not good...something is wrong....Please try find a way so you don't have to suffer painful/pass out etc every month's visit. I hate to have it, I hardly get cramps..maybe last a day or two or sometimes no cramps. I did went to planned parenthood to get a positive pregnancy test with my oldest (that time I did not have medicaid till after I got pregnant, then got it). They were helpful and asked what I want to do etc....I told her, I'll keep the baby. So I am glad I did!

Your kind of support is denying people's right to get free birth control, abortions if needed, and pap smear tests. I've used Planned Parenthood for years and absolutely love their organization, the office I go to regularly has amazing, caring people there. If I was rich enough, I'd donate plenty to their organization.

Sara...everyone are different and their own opinions. So don't throw any wrong ideas! Just back off, ok?

I don't believe in abortion unless if I was raped or baby not developing well or very sick baby then I will go ahead.

Planned parenthood is very helpful...they will help you if you want to keep baby, or give up for adoption or abortion etc etc..so many information. Many people get wrong ideas about Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood Fights Defunding Laws
Planned Parenthood Fights Defunding Laws - ABC News

House Votes to Strip Planned Parenthood of Federal Funding
House Votes to Strip Planned Parenthood of Federal Funding - ABC News

Planned Parenthood sues to stop Kansas funding ban
Planned Parenthood sues to stop Kansas funding ban - The Hill's Healthwatch

Planned Parenthood loses funding in House vote
Planned Parenthood loses funding in House vote - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Did you try to apply for medicaid? Better than having no health insurance. Google health insurance in your hometown, and try to apply to get one... It is not good...something is wrong....Please try find a way so you don't have to suffer painful/pass out etc every month's visit. I hate to have it, I hardly get cramps..maybe last a day or two or sometimes no cramps. I did went to planned parenthood to get a positive pregnancy test with my oldest (that time I did not have medicaid till after I got pregnant, then got it). They were helpful and asked what I want to do etc....I told her, I'll keep the baby. So I am glad I did!

I did apply for insurance but Im #97,000 something on the waitlist. They gave me a Family Planning Insurance but that only covers birth control and pap smears...not big tests like Ultrasound or blood test. Any other GOOD insurance plans run from $200+ a month. I have been debating on getting it. I know medical insurance well, and know how they like to deny claims all the time.
We are moving to another state at the end of the month, so maybe in the new state I will be able to find better doctors.
Meanwhile, I will have to be on depo so I wont have my period.

Move to Canada.

I was thinking the same thing, especially after learning she was denied ultrasounds, etc. When I went to ER, I got an hour long ultrasound, blood and urine tests, etc etc. I was examined thoroughly because the doctors were worried that perhaps I might have had tumours or infections and wouldn't let me go until they gave me a full workup.

It's really sad to see that because of money, someone can't get a proper thorough checkup that they SHOULD get especially after a lifetime of dealing with excrutiating pain.

I was thinking the same thing, especially after learning she was denied ultrasounds, etc. When I went to ER, I got an hour long ultrasound, blood and urine tests, etc etc. I was examined thoroughly because the doctors were worried that perhaps I might have had tumours or infections and wouldn't let me go until they gave me a full workup.

It's really sad to see that because of money, someone can't get a proper thorough checkup that they SHOULD get especially after a lifetime of dealing with excrutiating pain.

Yeah. This kind of stuff is what I am not happy about. Even Cuba is better than the USA in health care.

My "sounds like a plan" was in response to the OP's saying that she would be on depo to avoid having a period for a while, but there were posts slipping in before I hit "send."

What do you mean "par for the course?"

One time for example, I started my period around 5pm, and so did the misery of my symptoms. I went to the restroom to clean up, and I started to get really shakey, really hot & dizzy. Then on my way back downstairs I passed out and somehow ended up outside. I was shivering from the cold wind (Live in WI, and this was during the winter') but so hot and sweaty. I had the urge I had to use the bathroom, but couldn't stand up, I was so weak. My head was spinning, and my cramps were so bad I could feel my abdomin pulsating.
This all lasted for about 3 hours. This happens everytime I have my period. I wish I could explain just how bad it really is. A girl I work with was the one that found me outside, was really scared, and almost called the ambulance.
Is this normal? What can I do? Also:My legs and hands went really tingly, numb, and swelled up. I was so weak. I couldnt talk.
For a few minutes I was disorientated and didnt know what happened, or how I got outside, I know I hit my head off the door. I think thats what "woke" me up.
I usually get really nauseaous to but this time I didnt.
There was so much blood, and today will be heavy but tomorrow will be light, then it will stop. Its like it all comes out at once.
What is going on?
I wish I could get a hysterectomy, and be done with this misery.

The doc's wont do anything, Ive tried pushing for tests and seeing different doctors but the only option they give me is going back on the depo shot so I wont have periods.

I was on the pill for a year, but it made me so sick, (now Im sick all the time anyhow.) Then they had me on depo-but only for 2 years. I havent been on anything since I was 19-20, and every month its getting worse. Something needs to be done, its just hard without insurance.
I also have pain during intercourse.
I take medication to help with PMS, and it helps but not enough, plus the medications have side effects.

ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?

You are exhibiting a lot of symptoms related to progesterone issues. In your post, you mentioned Depo. Progesterone control is very connected to the Depo shots. I tried Depo last year for endometriosis issues (because I've already had 5 surgeries on this!) and many, many of your symptoms fit what I experienced. After six months of the Depo, I said "NO MORE!" . The treatment was worse than the ailment. (I cannot carry children, so it wasn't a birth control issue.) As for you, get your progesterone levels checked. You may be out of balance. Could possibly be that simple.

They did do some blood work on me, and I think thats one thing they tested. Why was depo bad for you?

I bolded all the things that you and I have (had -- since I'm no longer on the Depo) in common. Muscle nervousness, shakiness, hot/cold flashes, etc. are all symptoms of progesterone issues (directly related to the Depo shot) -- you should have received a "fact" booklet about the side effects of Depo. If you have it, or can find it online, look at all the side effects. It really outlines a lot of what you're explaining.

So that's why I was thinking you are dealing with progesterone issues from the Depo.

And, all of that was ENOUGH to make me go off it. Couldn't stand all the side effects. I was having a tough time with the ovaries and backaches so my dr. put me on Depo, but I was more than willing to deal with the pain than stay on those shots. NO WAY anymore! Make sense?

I had a similar experience. I couldn't get doctors to take me seiously until I couldn't walk. Keep going to doctors until you find one who will listen. You need medical care. I understand how frustrated you are. *hugs if you want them*

I bolded all the things that you and I have (had -- since I'm no longer on the Depo) in common. Muscle nervousness, shakiness, hot/cold flashes, etc. are all symptoms of progesterone issues (directly related to the Depo shot) -- you should have received a "fact" booklet about the side effects of Depo. If you have it, or can find it online, look at all the side effects. It really outlines a lot of what you're explaining.

So that's why I was thinking you are dealing with progesterone issues from the Depo.

And, all of that was ENOUGH to make me go off it. Couldn't stand all the side effects. I was having a tough time with the ovaries and backaches so my dr. put me on Depo, but I was more than willing to deal with the pain than stay on those shots. NO WAY anymore! Make sense?

But I was on Depo from age 15-18, I had minor problems before depo. When I was on depo I loved it, I had NO side effects and NO period!! After I stopped depo my periods have been getting worse and worse, which is why Im debating on going back on depo. I have wondered if what I am experienceing now is related to my years of depo usage. But if I cant get a doctor to listen to me I need to have my periods stopped, I cant keep living through this every month.
I have found depressions pills that help with the intensity of the symptoms, but the depression pills have side effects. Like I said, when I was on depo I had NO side effects.
I know things have changed, medication & my body, over the past 6 years so Im wondering if I will have the same reaction with it.

Women's bodies do change over time. Several of us here have had similar symptoms. It could be fibroids, or endometriosis, or hormone imbalance (somewhat unlikely if your doctor has already ruled that out), or something else.

None of us here is a gynecologist. You need to see someone who will take your complaints seriously and figure out what is causing this. It is a serious, serious thing to be that struck down every month.

Whatever it takes, you've got to find someone who can really help you with this and give you either the right meds, or in the worst case, a hysterectomy. I hope it doesn't come to that since you're so young, but if you let this problem go on, it's not likely to get better all on its own.

Pass out in the office. They'll take you seriously then for sure. I know that usually works because I've had to do that once. The cyst on my ovarie covered most of it then bust on it's own and I went down in her doorway.

Back