Woman 'signs' Obama speech for the deaf

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Cleveland health news | wkyc.com

Nearly 7,000 people packed Beeghly Center at Youngstown State University to hear Sen. Barack Obama speak.

But some in the crowd couldn't hear him at all. For the hearing impaired in attendance, Nadine Roman delivered Obama's message through sign language.

"They have a right to hear even if with their ears they can't hear," Roman said.

Roman, a Youngstown resident, grew up with deaf parents and was a professional interpreter for 45 years. She came out of retirement for the one-day engagement with Obama, and while Roman has signed for various other politicos, she said Obama was by far her favorite.

"I didn't know what to expect," she said. "It was amazing."

And it was clear Obama and sign language went hand-in-hand.

"It comes through so clearly in his voice, and so part of the sign language is to convey it with the facial expressions," Roman added.

I know some terps in my state who have interpreted for current presidential candidates at public rallies. Most don't make their assignments public knowledge because of ethical concerns. One who did publicize his/her interpreting assignment for a candidate was criticized by other terps for unethical behavior.

I know some terps in my state who have interpreted for current presidential candidates at public rallies. Most don't make their assignments public knowledge because of ethical concerns. One who did publicize his/her interpreting assignment for a candidate was criticized by other terps for unethical behavior.

That's understandable.

Cleveland health news | wkyc.com

Nearly 7,000 people packed Beeghly Center at Youngstown State University to hear Sen. Barack Obama speak.

But some in the crowd couldn't hear him at all. For the hearing impaired in attendance, Nadine Roman delivered Obama's message through sign language.

"They have a right to hear even if with their ears they can't hear," Roman said.

Roman, a Youngstown resident, grew up with deaf parents and was a professional interpreter for 45 years. She came out of retirement for the one-day engagement with Obama, and while Roman has signed for various other politicos, she said Obama was by far her favorite.

"I didn't know what to expect," she said. "It was amazing."

And it was clear Obama and sign language went hand-in-hand.

"It comes through so clearly in his voice, and so part of the sign language is to convey it with the facial expressions," Roman added.

I was at that Rally!! I was watching her almost as closely as I was watching Obama. It was amazing to see his words so elegantly put into ASL.

I was at that Rally!! I was watching her almost as closely as I was watching Obama. It was amazing to see his words so elegantly put into ASL.

Wow! What a wonderful opportunity for you to see that! I hope the hearies that were there saw the beauty of it too.

Back