Woman handing out fat letters to 'moderately obese' trick-or-treaters': Mean trick or

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Woman handing out fat letters to 'moderately obese' trick-or-treaters': Mean trick or public service? | syracuse.com

A Fargo, North Dakota woman plans to ruin Halloween for some children who come knocking on her door by giving them a "fat letter" instead of candy.

In a radio interview with Y94, the woman, who identified herself only as Cheryl, said:

"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight. ... I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just 'cause all the other kids are doing it."
The letter, which she plans to give in lieu of candy to kids who she thinks are moderately obese, reads:

"You (sic) child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season. My hope is that you will step up as an adult and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits."
She said solving obesity needed to be a community effort.

"I'm contributing to their health problems and really, their kids are everybody's kids. It's a whole village," said Cheryl in the interview.

Reaction to the idea has been mixed. Many people have raised concerns about how something like this could be damaging to children.

"It's just that kind of thing that for some kids, if they're vulnerable, might trigger major problems," said NDSU Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology Dr. Katie Gordon.

Gordon told Valley News Live that she doesn't think the letters will have the desired effect.

But David Smith, a cardiologist in Doylestown, Pa., told USA Today that Cheryl is doing a public service. He thinks the health risks of eating disorders pale in comparison to the risks brought on by obesity:

"I think it's a tough-love letter...Obesity in the last decade has taken over smoking as the leading health problem we face today. Giving candy to an obese child is like giving a cigarette to a person with emphysema. It is giving a drink to an alcoholic. It is giving heroin to a drug addict."

:fruit:

wow, I can see -why- she <that woman> might think it's useful but I think it's the wrong approach, it will only cause resentment and friction.
I think a better idea might be to put something like raisins or apples in the kids bags with a note explaining how those choices are healthier.

wow, I can see -why- she <that woman> might think it's useful but I think it's the wrong approach, it will only cause resentment and friction.
I think a better idea might be to put something like raisins or apples in the kids bags with a note explaining how those choices are healthier.

Yeah, that would had been a better way to go , but there are people that put blades in apples so I would not let my child eat it. I feel the woman is way out of place , this very hurtful to small children and she has no rights to spoil their Halloween. She is a real witch! She could had given out small bags of pop corn .

That's horrible. Our house tomorrow we're giving out gift bags with stickers, glowing bracelets, and candy.... then another batch of no peanut gluten soy fruit leathers and bubbles in "chopped off fingers".... I've totally got dibs on the left over fruit leather if its left over haha. you don't have to give out candy if you don't want to contribute to obesity. There are options other than apples.

That lady better get her house egged. lol.

That's horrible. Our house tomorrow we're giving out gift bags with stickers, glowing bracelets, and candy.... then another batch of no peanut gluten soy fruit leathers and bubbles in "chopped off fingers".... I've totally got dibs on the left over fruit leather if its left over haha. you don't have to give out candy if you don't want to contribute to obesity. There are options other than apples.

That lady better get her house egged. lol.

Yeah , or she could toilet paper throw all over her trees. I agree this just down right horrible.

I don't agree with her approach. It is Halloween and kids look forward to it. If she is so concerned, SEND THE LETTERS TO THE PARENTS ,not to the kids!

It just looks like a way to be mean to me. It is very easy to hand out cute pencils and erasers, or little toys if you don't want to contribute to childhood obesity.

I predict a loud knock at 3:00am and a stinky squishy flaming bag of poo on her porch. In the middle of cleaning in between her toes, a strong reminder to not piss off the chubby kids on Halloween.

I predict a loud knock at 3:00am and a stinky squishy flaming bag of poo on her porch. In the middle of cleaning in between her toes, a strong reminder to not piss off the chubby kids on Halloween.

Damn , I should had saved my dog poop when he had the runs.

How incredibly mean! Poor kids, I do believe that might be something that could damage a kid inside! Sometimes they just can't help it. :(

Thats not the best way to approach the obesoty problem. Poor kids!!!! Oo gosh, idk bit i imagen her been fat herself, idk why. And whoever had the big bag with cnady im going to that hoise!!! Be carefil giving fruits too, some might be allergic to them, like im allergic to apples, i cant even touch them.

Suppose the woman instead gave candy to all the skinnier kids and give the obese kids fresh fruits? And not say one word.

She could of handed out some toys or little things like that to all the kids and still spreading her word of being healthier. Maybe granola bars, something that's not so terrible for you. Instead she's just being a douche. I've had some pretty delicious granola bars! Like the s'mores granola bars.... Not exactly "good for you" but they're better than a milky way or a Snickers. :doh:

For all we know, maybe the woman won't write notes after all. She may merely be using Halloween for publicity to inform people of danger of having too much candy. Call it "empty" threat if you would like.

If she is really smart, I am sure she won't write note. She knows that she would get eggs and TP all over. I don't think she would want that.

Will any reporters be there ? :lol: If most parents read it on news or heard it from the radio they would know that they would not let kids go over to that house.

really scare little lard arses problem solve halloween done its job and kids run so fast lose few calories

Will any reporters be there ? :lol: If most parents read it on news or heard it from the radio they would know that they would not let kids go over to that house.

She did call into a talk radio show, if the woman does not have a block on her phone # the guy on the radio show could try to find out her name and address.

Oh wow, that was awful.

There was no BMI measurement at public school during my childhood era in 1980s and 1990s, but they did check for vision, hearing and scoliosis, so no BMI in old time.

In old time, if BMI was less than 28, so you are normal, but now, BMI has reduced from 28 to 25.

Wirelessly posted

Not a smart idea, if this woman feels this way , she needs to hand out color books or like the person who mentioned gift bags. She's damaging the children. She ought to keep quiet and do the right thing, pass out gift bags or color books.

Back