Woman Had Over 420 Cats in Two Homes

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
BURKE, Va. (July 14) - Neighbors who had wondered what that stench was from another town house spent Thursday coming to grips with the answer. Police said the odor was that of more than 100 dead cats, plus nearly 50 more live ones, being kept by an elderly woman.

That same woman was arrested earlier this week after authorities removed more than 270 cats, both alive and dead, from another of her homes in the county's Mount Vernon section.

Ruth Knueven, 82, already faces charges including cruelty to animals and obstruction of justice for the July 8 discovery in Mount Vernon. Police said Thursday they are deciding whether to level additional charges against Knueven after finding 134 dead cats and 47 living ones in a Burke home belonging to her family.

"All of these cats had respiratory disease and there were feces and urine all around the house," said Officer Richard Henry, a Fairfax County police spokesman. He said all the cats found alive in both homes had to be euthanized.

Neighbors in the quiet Burke community on Lakepointe Drive said they had noticed foul smells coming out of the town house, but didn't know what was causing them until police arrived. They said they had seen Knueven hauling heavy garbage bags that they now presume were filled with dead cats.

"Who would've ever thought that they were cats - dead cats - in those bags," said neighbor Nancy Fields. Fields said she had to burn incense in her basement and scour its walls with disinfectant because of the stench coming from next door.

Conditions in the houses did not endanger neighbors and their homes, said John Yetman of the Fairfax County Health Department.

Knueven and her family have been living in a hotel since Friday, when health officials declared her Mount Vernon home unfit for human habitation.

Fairfax County Hoarding Task Force: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hoarding

:ugh: Quite too many cats...

No thanks.. I'd rather 1 cat good enough but don't have cat right here... due have british bulldogs here.. :)

saw on news yesterday. Yep. too darned many cats! image all hairballs, litterbox and hair.. whewwww. :barf:

Ouch...that's extreme. Have seen a lot of that happening across the nation. Been watching a lot of Animal Cops on Animal Planet, ha. Still, seriously...any pet owners should be put through a serious assessment to ensure they'll be good and responsible owners of domesticated animals.

oh god! That is way too many cats and that's sick!

What sickens me is how many people in the world actually have the nerves to be cruel or not an good owner for those cats or dogs.. It piss me off cuz those animals has needs too. Arrrggg :pissed:

Yikes that is too many cats for sure, only 1 or 2 will enough for me. That sad. tsk tsk Hope that woman wont be getting any more cats.

How sad. :nono: I heard about this story from a friend and was very sad.

By the way your Garfield avatar is cute!

This old woman is lunatic, thinking that having cats in her house would do her good deed. Of course, this old lady is definetly :crazy: However I dont think she deserve in jail, but in nursing home permenantly.

My lungs will collapse if I enter her house! No way I can deal the smell. The smell of more than 2 cats is unbearable for me. Anyway, I am more of dog person. Love my Jack Russell Terrier.

That's quite a lot of cats. I'm sure her house smell pretty awful because of cats. If I have a cat, I perfer the cat outside, not inside beause of smell. I'm happy I don't have a cat because there's a lot of cats outside on the street.

Know why she got so many cats. Cuz she didnt get them spayed or neutured the cats. So the cats breed faster then what it seems. Shame on her.

Yes it is sicko. I would rather have 2 cats that all.

Back