Wireless router suggestion

purplecatty

Reaction score
Hi everyone!,

My Belkin 54g wireless router just conked out and died. I am able to use WIRED network through dead router. It's status lights are blinking weirdly and wild and it's power light is blinking. It's firmware is dead that I cannot access to. BUT wireless access for laptop is no longer working :tears::(:(

What REALLY happened is that my wife tried to print ticket info to networked printer from our laptop. It won't work. I checked it's network thru my laptop and it can "see" files from Ubuntu box. But my Ubuntu box cannot "see" XP box either laptop or desktop. I suspected Router crashed. So I rebooted and it still won't work. I decide to factory reboot my router. After rebooting. I had to re-do setup in router firmware through browser. After few setups. I setup DMZ for VP100. It crashed after I clicked "apply" then router no longer worked. I believe that my router is old anyway. It's a bit more than 3 years old now.

Suggestions!!??

I wanted WIRELESS router that would works with any VP!! (Of course must have DMZ!!) I'm going for just cheap one for my budget.

-another Belkin
-Dlink
-Trendnet?
-Linksys
-Netgear

or any other odd something brand wireless router that would work with VP.

Suggestion Anyone?

Thanks
Catty

I am using Dlink DIR-655 which is a gigabit router with N Wireless.

I use both VP100 and Ojo on it (I am using port forwarding on it not DMZ) and 3 computer wired to it with 2 laptop wireless and never had any problem at all.

I am using Dlink DIR-655 which is a gigabit router with N Wireless.

I use both VP100 and Ojo on it (I am using port forwarding on it not DMZ) and 3 computer wired to it with 2 laptop wireless and never had any problem at all.

nice router! I'll look into it.
Thanks
Catty

I think it would work with VP on Linksys if you put VP in DMZ, that what I found out from some of my friend, plus I don't own VP.

I'm using Linksys wireless G router and work so great with internet, network for printer and work with communicate to online gaming or media sharing (NAT) without any hassle because you are using cable modem, if DSL modem then other story to solve the issue.

I think it would work with VP on Linksys if you put VP in DMZ, that what I found out from some of my friend, plus I don't own VP.

I'm using Linksys wireless G router and work so great with internet, network for printer and work with communicate to online gaming or media sharing (NAT) without any hassle because you are using cable modem, if DSL modem then other story to solve the issue.

THanks for advice, I'm keeping this in my mind. Saw Linksys wireless router on sale for $45.

I did saw Trendnet Wireless N router for $50 too (Micro Center Online | the center of .computer shopping and click "online Catalog, under "Febuary special" page 62-63" on bottom left corner). I might try it to see if it works with vp LOL.. I am fully aware that Trendnet is 100% Linux compatible. I would probably will get it cuz it's up to date and cheap.

As long as router would work with VP, I'll be happy.

Thanks
Catty

Thanks
Catty

I went to Microcenter and found out they do not carry Trendnet N Wireless Router (they did not stock it contary to ad) so I browsed through and decide to fall back to Belkin because I'm familiar with it's settings tho.. Linksys is on sale but It didn't provide much info on box which I want to see. I bought nice sleek Belkin N wireless router. After I got home from store. I set it up like I used to and it works like a charm. I see alot more new settings that my old dead Belkin 54g didn't have. It's nice to see that I can configure settings for videochat software ect...

MY laptop and desktop ran faster than before. Oddly it's an improvement.

My neighbor have Belkin Pre-N wireless router which is over 2 years old ( I figured cuz he started to have wireless access after I got my Belkin 54g). I see many listing of wireless routers around my neighborhood and mostly are Linksys and other brands which are all 54g. Now I'm the "Joneses" of neighbor.

Thanx
Catty

I think I am having trouble with new Belkin N router. Whenever I turned on DMZ setting and add "125" for VP100 only. All 3 of my computers experiencing problem with browser. Homepage was half loaded. When I turned off DMZ, It ran normally in all 3 computers. I studied instruction that I downloaded in PDF format and realized that I'm missing a NAT setup. The instruction show NAT setup but in Router's setup seem missing (I knew Belkin router well enuf tho. It's the firmware that programmer might have forgotten to add). I was thinking that was the problem. I'm going to research Linksys brands (there are bunch of them in Microcenter anyway). May plan to exchange it for another router.:ugh::ugh:

Catty

Never mind!! I just found out it's a firmware issue. I browsed through Belkin's website under "support" and selected Belkin N router and it show PDF manual and firmware update. I decided to compare it's firmware version. It turned out that I had old version dated back to Sept. while recent one was last Dec. So I downloaded and updated the firmware. Bingo!! problem solved after I tested by turning on DMZ and all 3 of my computers ran normally on browser. Whew!! Now that I can keep it!! Also new firmware did show NAT enabled on it's home list. So everything are OK!!

I did look thru Linksys and it does have DMZ and whatever similiar to Belkin. But it's setup sure look confusing. Glad I stick with Belkin.

:rockon::rockon:
Catty

Never mind!! I just found out it's a firmware issue. I browsed through Belkin's website under "support" and selected Belkin N router and it show PDF manual and firmware update. I decided to compare it's firmware version. It turned out that I had old version dated back to Sept. while recent one was last Dec. So I downloaded and updated the firmware. Bingo!! problem solved after I tested by turning on DMZ and all 3 of my computers ran normally on browser. Whew!! Now that I can keep it!! Also new firmware did show NAT enabled on it's home list. So everything are OK!!

I did look thru Linksys and it does have DMZ and whatever similiar to Belkin. But it's setup sure look confusing. Glad I stick with Belkin.

:rockon::rockon:
Catty

Setting on DMZ on Linksys is so easier for me.

What DMZ stand for? Anyway I own TM wireless router (TM G5240) under DLINK, it is great signal and strenghten.

It called Demilitarized zone.
Demilitarized zone (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's last option if UPnP or port forwarding aren't work or NAT issue.

It's also similiar to boundary between North Korea and South Korea LOL. (kidding but give you idea). Called Neutral boundary where either sides can't cross over. So It keeps VP separate from computer's "local" ip address for receiving calls. Without it, VP would not be able to receive calls. Also it is used for any gaming console like Xbox, PS2, Wii ect that have ethernet ports and use it for online game challenge. So Check website that Pacman found.

Catty

ANY routers that have DMZ ready would work with VP too. So save your trouble or hassle trying to set up virtual server.

Catty

Today, I decide to mess with my broken Belkin 54g router and see what I can fix (I cracked open case and screwed around with it). I was playing with reset button and press and hold as long as 30 sec. It still won't become normal. So I decide to call Belkin tech service to see if I have anything to do with old wireless router. Tech service gave me direction that I already did exactly previously, so I let them run their course while I sit there and typing and do nothing with broken router:giggle::giggle:. UNTIL he asked me how long ago I purchased. I told them 3 years ago as a gift. They told me it have LIFETIME warranty. I asked him even if it's beaten up, will it still be under warranty regardless. He said yes..
LIFETIME!! :-o:-o:jaw: OOHH boy OK YES YES!! They told me to fill out Belkin's online warranty info. So I filled it out and mailed it.

I was FREEAKKED OUT!! Now that I would have TWO wireless router, replaced Belkin 54g and Spanking new Belkin N router. EITHER Belkin routers can be set as an Access Point under firmware setup. UMMPHH!! I could use the replaced one for AP!! Yippiieee I can use it as a wireless link for VP or Ojo. Or an extensions for me to use my laptop from distance (Belkin 54g router can transmits up to 1,200 feet) I will be very very happy guy!!

I have a Thread "Gaming adapter or Access point for VP" in same blog.. I have Dlink Gaming adapter which I use it for my VP100. Check this out too.

Catty

Last edited:
You can check to see if there custom firmware on internet for your old wirelss router and turn it into a gaming adapter that it can be a reciever for VP too.

I have use old wireless linksys router and replace factory firmware with custom hacked firmware that it change wireless router into a gaming or video reciever adapter in before.

You can check to see if there custom firmware on internet for your old wirelss router and turn it into a gaming adapter that it can be a reciever for VP too.

I have use old wireless linksys router and replace factory firmware with custom hacked firmware that it change wireless router into a gaming or video reciever adapter in before.

Thanks for suggestion. Belkin wireless router already have Access Point option in it's firmware. I could check this out tho.

Thanks for suggestion. Belkin wireless router already have Access Point option in it's firmware. I could check this out tho.

Actually it called Bridging, AP is a central to provide a point for wireless devices to access the network and bridging is like gaming adapter to provide network cable connection a direct link to an AP.

Linkey and D-Link is good one than Belkin. My best friend have Belkin are very bad always lost connect...

Actually it called Bridging, AP is a central to provide a point for wireless devices to access the network and bridging is like gaming adapter to provide network cable connection a direct link to an AP.

Yes you are correct. My old belkin router (one with two antenna) used to have a firmware that allow bridging (bridge option was there). I just got a replacement Belkin router with one antenna. It's the same model tho but 1/2 of size of original one. ( It look tiny :ugh::squint::squint::squint:) and firmware is not longer showing "bridge" there. Shoot!! Now that I can't do anything without a wireless bridge. I am thinking that If I could call Belkin technician to see if I can downgrade firmware to 1.10 (my current one is 9.5). If not then, I would have to buy wireless Bridge.

Thanks
Catty

Yes you are correct. My old belkin router (one with two antenna) used to have a firmware that allow bridging (bridge option was there). I just got a replacement Belkin router with one antenna. It's the same model tho but 1/2 of size of original one. ( It look tiny :ugh::squint::squint::squint:) and firmware is not longer showing "bridge" there. Shoot!! Now that I can't do anything without a wireless bridge. I am thinking that If I could call Belkin technician to see if I can downgrade firmware to 1.10 (my current one is 9.5). If not then, I would have to buy wireless Bridge.

Thanks
Catty

Today I took an old Linksys Wireless router WRT54G v2.2 and DD-WRT firmware DD-WRT :: News then I tested it in bridge mode via wireless on VP100.
It worked and no lags at all. But I only test it calling to a friend and have not test recieve calls yet. I was in a hurry today so I will test recieve call in later.

There is a DD-WRT for Beklin routers too but it a risk and mistake can make router no longer work and worthless or "bricked" so be sure to read carefully and select the right firmware.

Now I can put VP100 anywhere in my house no need to worry about run a cable from router just use old linksys and wireless bridge to my other wireless router connect to dsl using DD-WRT.

Back