Wireless Access Points @ Gally

Originally posted by luckypinkstar03
see ya there! im gona be a freshie there :) oh and by the way.. me and miss allisonjoy went to YLC toga cant wait to see her too! heh
Oh cool. I'll be there from Saturday til Tuesday. Ofcouse, I wanna stay longer, but her mom wants to go home.

Originally posted by prostock19
I saw this cute lil keychain device. It has 3 LED's on it and it lets you know if there is 802.11a, b, or g signals within a short distance.

Yep...but unfortunately I cannot pinpoint and find out what's the SSID of the wireless with this device. I took it back and got my money back after I tried it with several of my access point.

Currently I use FHSS Raylink card with my Raylink Access point. I just sold the whole batch on ebay so I'm supposed to ship them..heh.

I think if you had 802.11g card..it can work with any of the 802.11 variants. It's safe to take 802.11g card with you.

I used my laptop's built in 802.11g to use on a 802.11b and 802.11a interfaces at Hyatt in Dallas but none of them had access to the Internet. I think what I was discovering was those guys had enabled it but was using dialup....and their ICS was disabled. Yea I know..that's bad for tunneling thru their computers without their permission but I was desperate to get online to send my mom an email for extra info of a friend of hers who live in Dallas.

To work with 802.11a (5ghz) you need an card that is 802.11a compatible. 802.11b and 802.11g are interchangable. Some cards will do all 3.

Odd...I have the ability to configure my built in 802.11g to use 802.11a and I just checked the manual....it does support dual bands...both 5 and 2.3 ghz. On the box..it said just 802.11b and 802.11g.....I guess that laptop was worth the deal.

I am only going to get an 802.11 b/g card. I can do that one myself. For some reason, the 802.11 a/b/g card can only be installed by a dell certified technician. Unless, ofcourse, I get a PCMCIA card.

I should come up since I got a Dell tech certification. :p

I think it expired. I was working on the IBM one a month ago.

When I get the money, I am thinking of getting the Mini PCI card. IDK. What would you recommend?? Mini PCI or PCMCIA?

Originally posted by prostock19
When I get the money, I am thinking of getting the Mini PCI card. IDK. What would you recommend?? Mini PCI or PCMCIA?

You already got a Mini PCI slot on the laptop?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
You already got a Mini PCI slot on the laptop?
The Mini PCI is open. I know I can buy the internal Mini PCI card from dell. It is an b/g card. Like $60. I know I can get PCMCIA cards cheaper.

Well, I would get a pcmcia card with ability to use external anennas...more easier to get better range. :D

I was standing outside of Ballard West today and I BARELY picked on up. I will roam the campus later to see if I can track down the location of that WAP and maybe see if I can locate any others. Keep everyone informed.

Back