Windows XP to 98?

Christer

Reaction score
My roomate using Windows XP, he wants back to Windows 98. I dont know how to do that looking through internet and cannot find it and we need help with that. thanks!

Christo said:
My roomate using Windows XP, he wants back to Windows 98. I dont know how to do that looking through internet and cannot find it and we need help with that. thanks!

All you have is put window 98 cd and delete window xp but believe me, it's will gonna so hard... Window xp is all best than other windows.. so i don't understand why he would want to go back 98 so how strange is that but it's his choice...

Soonersseth said:
why the hell he want 98 ?

good question. he just want save more free space in hard drive if remove xp, that's what he said so I trying to remove xp back to 98 for his sake.

Christo said:
good question. he just want save more free space in hard drive if remove xp, that's what he said so I trying to remove xp back to 98 for his sake.
Well, the only way that could be done is if you had the original CD. Perhaps, Microsoft can send you a CD for like $5 or $10 since it's really old. :dunno:

I have a laptop with Windows 98.

Your friend said that he wanted to save space? How much space are we talking about here?

Christo said:

The Windows 98 is FAT32 and the XP is NTFS which is cannot put the windows 98 on the NTFS drives, you need to get new hard drive or get a HD's manfactor's disk utlities program can do override reverted back to FAT32 formattings the FAT32 takes up lot of chunks less space just like 40 GB will go down to about 37 GB. NTFS's takes smaller chunks 40 GB down to 39.6 GB.

My USB floppy disk drive works on USB for booting up on my lappy.

first time to hear a person wanted to downgrade from XP to win98 lol if your friend doesnt like XP then use Yoper which i use now

PowerWCRulez said:
The Windows 98 is FAT32 and the XP is NTFS which is cannot put the windows 98 on the NTFS drives, you need to get new hard drive or get a HD's manfactor's disk utlities program can do override reverted back to FAT32 formattings the FAT32 takes up lot of chunks less space just like 40 GB will go down to about 37 GB. NTFS's takes smaller chunks 40 GB down to 39.6 GB..

You are half right. windows 98 is FAT32 only, WinXP is FAT32 OR NTFS but NTFS by default. you do NOT need to get a new hard drive or get disk utilities from the manufacturer. you only need to boot from a CD or a floppy (or some other bootable disk) and run a program that will format your hard drive. For example, find some one with win98 and make a win98 startup disk. then after booting off the disk run FDISK and delete the partitions. then create new ones.... From here it's pretty easy... just boot from the Windows 98 CD.

windows 98 is un stable, dosn't support USB 2.0 , it dosn't support DVDs very well dosn't support blue tooth, with windows XP and SP2 you get a lot of great improvements to internet explorer....

if you have win98 and it's an old comptuer that's fine... but if you have windows XP stick with it and just change the settings to your liking...

The beter thing to do would just upgrade the hardware, more RAM, a second hard drive, or a whole new computer ;)

to Christo: if your roomate does go back to win98 can I have your roomate's product key ? :)

farmerjoe said:
You are half right. windows 98 is FAT32 only, WinXP is FAT32 OR NTFS but NTFS by default. you do NOT need to get a new hard drive or get disk utilities from the manufacturer. you only need to boot from a CD or a floppy (or some other bootable disk) and run a program that will format your hard drive. For example, find some one with win98 and make a win98 startup disk. then after booting off the disk run FDISK and delete the partitions. then create new ones.... From here it's pretty easy... just boot from the Windows 98 CD.

windows 98 is un stable, dosn't support USB 2.0 , it dosn't support DVDs very well dosn't support blue tooth, with windows XP and SP2 you get a lot of great improvements to internet explorer....

if you have win98 and it's an old comptuer that's fine... but if you have windows XP stick with it and just change the settings to your liking...

The beter thing to do would just upgrade the hardware, more RAM, a second hard drive, or a whole new computer ;)

to Christo: if your roomate does go back to win98 can I have your roomate's product key ? :)

Yep, and I have other very OLD windows 95 on my old tower still works great before I got new lappy in a year ago..

PowerWCRulez said:
Yep, and I have other very OLD windows 95 on my old tower still works great before I got new lappy in a year ago..

My roomate excited got new system upgrades and he changed mind not need XP... I dunno why he changed mind. Anyways thanks everyone for posts :ily:

Windows 95/98 sucks, you know that...I hate them.

Christo said:
I hate 95/98 too. Did you know that new Windows Longhorn will coming on 2006?

Ah, I apologize for a long to respond back.

Yes, I know. Windows Longhorn I can't wait it! Damn...

DoVip said:
Windows 95/98 sucks, you know that...I hate them.

:werd:

But Longhorn is a fancy facelift to WinXP and make it look more like Mac OS X's desktop. What a fucking rip-off!

Well good luck usin with WIN 98 because its doesnt have much devices support. :lol:

yea i hate 98 but ME is worse with problems than 98.

rumors came at the corner that MS will no longer provide tech supports for any win 98 problem.

deafclimber said:
yea i hate 98 but ME is worse with problems than 98.

rumors came at the corner that MS will no longer provide tech supports for any win 98 problem.

Windows ME was fucking a virus. It was suck! :rifle:

win98 is out of dated...

use win2000 its stable o/s until new longhorn os come out :)

xp sucks.....

Back