Why - Why the Medical Society constantly pressure on the Parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding sound access is fixing the fact that sound access was not there.

For me fixing is something that happens when something is broken. So if something didn't exist then there is nothing to be fixed. What we did was add to something that was not there. If you think of this in an another way that is your right.

Well I dont believe in comparing, I do not compare my child to my sister's child and I don't think anyone has a right to compare deaf children with hearing aids vs deaf children with CI because it can hurt a child's feelings and it's not fair to the child either and that's my opinion.

I agree. That is why I object when someone says that a child with a CI has more oppportunity than one who doesn't.

For me fixing is something that happens when something is broken. So if something didn't exist then there is nothing to be fixed. What we did was add to something that was not there. If you think of this in an another way that is your right.

Wait, didn't you say that your kid's had residual hearing? Didn't you say that your daughter retained her residual hearing following her implant surgery? If she had residual hearing, then it wasn't totally absent. Therefore it existed.

I am sorry if I insulted. The truth is that my children do have more options in communicating. It is not meant to insult it is just a fact.

What makes your children so special than any other child? It's far from the truth, Jackie.

Every child learns differently, every child is smart, every child has it's own strengths and every child is unique in their own way. That is the truth. :)

Why don't we just accept the fact that every child/adult are different. Good grief.

I woke up this morning and visited this site. Goodness 2 pages of bashing, imflaming, and putting each other down. Come on be adults.

The word "fix" caused a huge debate on deafread about 2 weeks ago. The word "robot" a few weeks ago. The word this week is "boycott." Come on everyone if you disagree with CI or HA or deafness get over it, each child is different as each adult is different. Each person views is different. Agree to disagree without insulting others or thier children.

I hope all of you have a good weekend - do something fun! I'll be developing a behavior plan for a student and working on a Science Fair Project with my daughter. I can't deal with all this hurtfulness and opinions, so instead of reading page and page of posting, I am going to turn you off and get out and enjoy some sunshine.

I woke up this morning and visited this site. Goodness 2 pages of bashing, imflaming, and putting each other down. Come on be adults.

The word "fix" caused a huge debate on deafread about 2 weeks ago. The word "robot" a few weeks ago. The word this week is "boycott." Come on everyone if you disagree with CI or HA or deafness get over it, each child is different as each adult is different. Each person views is different. Agree to disagree without insulting others or thier children.

I hope all of you have a good weekend - do something fun! I'll be developing a behavior plan for a student and working on a Science Fair Project with my daughter. I can't deal with all this hurtfulness and opinions, so instead of reading page and page of posting, I am going to turn you off and get out and enjoy some sunshine.

What I wont tolerate is someone saying that a deaf child with CI has more opportunities simply cuz they can hear. That is what I am speaking out against because that view is rampant out there away from AD. That deaf people who can speak or hear have better opportunities than those who dont.

I deal with all those kinds of hurtful comments and opinions about deaf children at my work constantly.

:gpost:!

I am sorry if I insulted. The truth is that my children do have more options in communicating. It is not meant to insult it is just a fact.

From your descriptions, your children have less communication options than many other bilingual bimodal deaf people I know. That's a fact. Hope I did not insult you?

...parents who put so much belief in the CI as a cure only to have their kids unable to develop spoken language and fall behind in academics.

If you have parents who implanted their child believing that the ci is a "cure", then you do not have what Jackie, I and others have been stressing and urging parents to be: parents who were informed about their decision.

If you have parents who have allowed their child to stay for years in a program where they are not developing any language, spoken or manual, then you have parents who are not acting responsibly towards their child's language development. They are the complete anthithesis of how Jackie, I and others have acted towards our children's language development.

As for your last comment, too bad if the truth hurts but I call it as I see it, in this case as I read it. Those who use derrogatory and offensive terms such as "fix" to describe a person's decision to choose a cochlear implant for either themself or for their child and/or who do not support a parent's right to choose all options, including a cochlear implant, for their child are anti-ci.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have parents who implanted their child believing that the ci is a "cure", then you do not have what Jackie, I and others have been stressing and urging parents to be: parents who were informed about their decision.

If you have parents who have allowed their child to stay for years in a program where they are not developing any language, spoken or manual, then you have parents who are not acting responsibly towards their child's language development. They are the complete anthithesis of how Jackie, I and others have acted towards our children's language development.

As for your last comment, too bad if the truth hurts but I call it as I see it, in this case as I read it. Those who use derrogatory and offensive terms such as "fix" to describe a person's decision to choose a cochlear implant for either themself or for their child and/or who do not support a parent's right to choose all options, including a cochlear implant, for their child are anti-ci.

Your words, not mine. :dunno:

Jackie - You asked to name a child that was "deaf" when he/she was born then later became hearing. SkyPorkie's grandchild was that way. The doctors thought that he/she was deaf, until a few years later, another test was done. The child is hearing. I would NEVER rely on a test that's done at 2 weeks, 2 months old baby. You say that your child have more options available for them. How would *you* know? You cannot, and do not dare, to compare your children to EVERYONE elses'. I had a lot of options available for me, and I think I did pretty well. I have fluent English skills, fluent spoken language, fluent sign language, and 3 college degrees. Learning all that my dear, I did not have CI. Does that make *me* better than you or your children? NO. Knock off your high horse about having your child being better than everyone elses'. I'm glad that your children have good education because that is all that's matters. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that your child was implanted! It all has to do with the education that you provided your child. (Although, I'm against oral-only environment, but I hope you know what I mean).

While I disagree with some of the posts that both of them did, I just let it go. It's an OPINION. However, Jackie hit a sore nerve when she says that her children has more options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to share a story with you. A friend of mine who picked a Deaf girl in the school bus. Her magnet fell off from the coclear implant. Not sure what exactly equipment was? Anyway, she looked for a mgnet in the school bus but can't find it. She can't hear all the day. The wire was loose off from her head, looked unpleasant. Poor this little girl, she does not deserve this.

Hearing aid is better than cochlear implant.

I want to share a story with you. A friend of mine who picked a Deaf girl in the school bus. Her magnet fell off from the coclear implant. Not sure what exactly equipment was? Anyway, she looked for a mgnet in the school bus but can't find it. She can't hear all the day. The wire was loose off from her head, looked unpleasant. Poor this little girl, she does not deserve this.

I am going by personal experience - I wore a hearing aid for 27 years and CIs for 6 months. HA served me well for a long time. I love the sound from my CI much better.

Also for children, they can make ear molds like a hearing aid. That way it does not come off easily. That is an option. My CIs have not fallen off or become lose.

Last edited:

Have you ever have CI? If not, do not say, "HA is better than CI" if you never had it.

I had my HA for 27 years, and CI for 1 week. And I guarantee you, from my personal experience, that it's a heaps load better than my most powerful digital hearing aid. I can hear my cat purring from a distance. I can hear the upstairs floors creaking. I can hear hamburgers sizzling. I can hear 'S', 'sc', 't' sounds. I can hear my cat poop. I can hear the keys going into the doorknob. I can hear the microwave beep. Can you? All of these sounds I heard within ONE WEEK of activation.

Have you ever seen a CI up close? First of all the magnet does NOT come off the processor. It would have to be pulled off from the processor. Magnet comes off WITH the coil that's attached to the processor. Magnet is screwed on to the coil. Coil can easily come off, but for a magnet to be separated from the coil, it would have to be unscrewed. I'm suspicious of your story. It would make sense that they took off the processor and broke the coil off, but that takes a lot of strength to do that.

Do not state something that you think is a fact because it's not.

BTW - I never said CI is better than HA. For MY situation and many others, it's better. For few people it didn't work for them, and that's okay.

Im not convinced that this particular sound would make it into an implant manufacturers advertising material...but I am happy for you nevertheless.

Come on can't you see the brochures - Cat on litterbox and in big bold print - Works so well you can hear a cat on the litterbox(they would not use the p word in the ad).

Or

A picture of a dog begging - The caption - A sound you can't turn off, the dog whinning to go out.

My favorite is squeaky sneakers. I just see the ad on it. Me in the school hallway on a rainy day. Holding my CIs with that horrible look on my face with the caption - "Wow, don't you want to hear the sneakers squeak!!" (this is a true story)

*I hope you all know I am just trying to be funny.*

What makes your children so special than any other child? It's far from the truth, Jackie.

Every child learns differently, every child is smart, every child has it's own strengths and every child is unique in their own way. That is the truth. :)

I agree with you every child is unique and smart.

My children are very special but so are all the other children in the world.

What I was talking was that my children have more options in the communication area especially with phones. Jillo was saying that her son could text on a cell phone and use a TTY on a land line and what I said was that my children can talk and text on a cell phone and they could talk and use a TTY on a land line that is what I said.

Being a CI user myself, I am sorry I find that story hard to believe because I know based on my CI experience there is no way a CI magnet is gonna "fall off".

Maybe a whole pickup coil broke free from wire it was attached to from much rough playing in bus but that the same as hearing aid which can be flinged out of your ear from rough playing and break as well too. But a falling off magnet is too far fetched story to believe.

And you are making a very rash and poor judgement by saying hearing aid is better than CI when you have not compare both and experienced it yourself yet.

I have worn hearing aids for many years and CI is like 100x more powerful and the sound is more crisp than a hearing aid. I am hearing things I never heard before in my whole life. I am born deaf and raised deaf and fluent in SEE PSE ASL and implanted as an adult 5 year ago.

I am still deaf and proud to be an American!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back