why so many deaf single men?

I've always been a one-woman guy, never had multiple relationships, but in the 8 years since I've become totally deaf, I've had more unsuccessful relationships than in all the 60 years before.

My fault, their fault, nobody's fault, I firmly believe it is because of being deaf.

During the entire time I was hard-of-hearing, I had a stable relationship that went unstable the instant I lost all hearing.

Each new relationship since only lasted until each lady found out my "wonderful ability to read lips" needed a considerable effort on her part to be successful. Two made half-hearted attempts to learn ASL, but in the long run, it was "just too hard" for them.

One gal thought the best dates were movies I couldn't hear and worse, going to concerts.

Another hated closed captions, even on MY TV! I dropped both like hot rocks.

At present, my girlfriend of more than a year has stuck with learning ASL more than any other, yet she still prefers talking, which of course is easier for her, but lots more difficult for me -- especially when we're out with other people. Of course, those are the worst times for me, since I can't follow all the multiple conversations going on, people talking over everyone else, and idiots who try to sign everything with thumbs up.

No wonder I prefer to live alone.

I've always been a one-woman guy, never had multiple relationships, but in the 8 years since I've become totally deaf, I've had more unsuccessful relationships than in all the 60 years before.

My fault, their fault, nobody's fault, I firmly believe it is because of being deaf.

During the entire time I was hard-of-hearing, I had a stable relationship that went unstable the instant I lost all hearing.

Each new relationship since only lasted until each lady found out my "wonderful ability to read lips" needed a considerable effort on her part to be successful. Two made half-hearted attempts to learn ASL, but in the long run, it was "just too hard" for them.

One gal thought the best dates were movies I couldn't hear and worse, going to concerts.

Another hated closed captions, even on MY TV! I dropped both like hot rocks.

At present, my girlfriend of more than a year has stuck with learning ASL more than any other, yet she still prefers talking, which of course is easier for her, but lots more difficult for me -- especially when we're out with other people. Of course, those are the worst times for me, since I can't follow all the multiple conversations going on, people talking over everyone else, and idiots who try to sign everything with thumbs up.

No wonder I prefer to live alone.

Sounds like you are doing a great deal more compromising than your partner. We can't always be the giver without loosing a part of ourselves.:aw:

Jillio, as usual you get to the nub of the rant. Shows good listening/therapy skills. I guess what I'm saying is exactly that. Most of us deafies are expected to compromise . . . try harder . . . be "normal."

It sure feels good to come home at night and not have to concentrate on anyone yakking at me. I can read e-mail or catch the ASL news or enjoy closed captions on TV . . . all a hundred times less stressful than total concentration on more yada, yada, yada.

this topic pisses me off cuz everyone is so hard on deaf guys. Calling them everything from masturbators to rapists.

Women are naturally more verbal than men. And if the man communication skills is compromised by hearing loss or deafness, he is going to have a harder time connecting with women. Not every deaf guy was taught sign language as a child and might miss out on developing the language area of the brain. Dont under estimate the effect of this on relationships.

Also there is social hierachy in groups. Women tend to be attracted to the men higher up in rank. The so called alpha male. Studys have shown that mainstreamed deaf and hoh students are left out or even rejected by their peers. Leaving them on the bottom of the totem pole of social hierachy.

And if being at the bottom wasnt bad enough. The peer rejection wreaks havoc on the poor deaf guys self esteem. Leaving him anxious and neurotic and needy. Women find clingyness and needyness to be undesirable traits. Or maybe being rejected and left out by peers prevents deaf guy a chance to develope his social skills. So he ends up acting childish and immature.

This obviously isnt true for all deaf guys but I suspect this is the case for a lot of the perpetually single ones.

I cant believe how cruel and insensitive some of you people are. Laughing and ridiculing deaf guys lonelyness and misery.

In my opinion. If you love someone enough. You jump through hoops and go to the ends of the earth for them. If they are deaf or hearing it doesnt' matter. If you want to communicate with someone you love or care about.. You take the time, and you find a way to learn. Yes.. it takes more time and more patience than any avg relationship. But IT CAN WORK and the couple can be happy.

I think it is in the heart what matters. Not in the hearing.

I don't really know. All I do know is to look at being single in a positive light. I've had enough friends in fucked up relationships to know how much a bad relationship can really screw up someone's life.

I don't mind being single but I feel like I can't get where I need to go with meeting women, etc. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I don't know how to explain it. It also seems that every hearing woman I meet has pity for me and I don't want pity. I don't need it. I'm a very headstrong person. Stubborn. Focused.

I cant believe how cruel and insensitive some of you people are. Laughing and ridiculing deaf guys lonelyness and misery.

I don't see that here. Perhaps you are projecting YOUR loneliness and misery onto others here?

Think about it.

It's because you lie.

They reject you because you approached them wrong.

It's because I lie? Mm I didn't know that. Sure, if that's easy for you to say. :dunno: I approached them just fine. They were just bunch of cheap ladies at the end anyhow.

this topic pisses me off cuz everyone is so hard on deaf guys. Calling them everything from masturbators to rapists.

Women are naturally more verbal than men. And if the man communication skills is compromised by hearing loss or deafness, he is going to have a harder time connecting with women. Not every deaf guy was taught sign language as a child and might miss out on developing the language area of the brain. Dont under estimate the effect of this on relationships.

Also there is social hierachy in groups. Women tend to be attracted to the men higher up in rank. The so called alpha male. Studys have shown that mainstreamed deaf and hoh students are left out or even rejected by their peers. Leaving them on the bottom of the totem pole of social hierachy.

And if being at the bottom wasnt bad enough. The peer rejection wreaks havoc on the poor deaf guys self esteem. Leaving him anxious and neurotic and needy. Women find clingyness and needyness to be undesirable traits. Or maybe being rejected and left out by peers prevents deaf guy a chance to develope his social skills. So he ends up acting childish and immature.

This obviously isnt true for all deaf guys but I suspect this is the case for a lot of the perpetually single ones.

This is the summation of most "perpetually" single deaf men. I met quite a few of these unfortunates at some deaf activity event and they look somewhat miserable.

I'm also one of these unfortunates, as well.

Experience in mainstreamed schooling can be either positive or negative.

For successfully mainstreamed Deaf/HoH students with hearing aids/CI consistently worn and excel in lip-reading skill, they are more confident.

For mainstreamed Deaf students who choose not to wear hearing aids (or parents cannot afford CI), the rate of post-secondary school "failure" in life is quite high, with dependence on SSI/SSDI when unable to find/hold down job because of discrimination or severely limited opportunity.

The solution is attending college to finish useful degree in order to "advance" in hierarchical working society (i.e. meritocracy), but even college can be frustrating and stressful.

It is my contention a Deaf man "cannot" advance in society unless one has a "promise" of advancement through hard work with good job, positive personal trait (i.e. stylish clothes and strong confidence) and living standard (path to home ownership by savings from good [NOT minimum wage, which is less respectable in society's view] job).

Hearing women, if they "like" deaf man, are typically timid and don't know how to communicate with Deaf single men unless they know some ASL or are willing to interact using pen and paper if Deaf man don't have good lipreading and clear speaking skills. If Deaf single man is unable to or could not initiate communication with hearing woman, Deaf man always loses (i.e. wasted opportunity) and is relegated to permanent singlehood. It is important for a Deaf man to have some confidence and initiate conservation with hearing woman who looks interested. Hearing women expect men to be "proactive" in communicative reciprocity to be "impressed," hearing or deaf.

From my experience, Deaf women are very picky and may prefer hearing men because Deaf women might know that hearing men are more likely to succeed (salary and quality of home life) than Deaf single male counterparts with less or no "ambition" (struggle with college or no college diploma, difficulty to find work/no job regardless of state of economy, poor self-esteem related to loneliness/societal rejection).

Exception is a Deaf man who proves he has the ambition and has a college diploma or job skill to make a living wage, for which a Deaf woman will accept the suitor to date and eventually wed. (I met a few of this "lucky" type, and they are the happiest and well-contented Deaf men with children)

For Deaf single men with poor/fair communication and interpersonal skills that parlay to poor self-esteem (lack of confidence) for whatever reason (i.e. negative background such as inept rearing by "stupid" hearing parents and poor familial relations with hearing family members), nothing can "kick" them out of this lifetime misery.

I talked to a few Deaf men ("lucky" type) who told me they knew Deaf male peers who turn to alcohol abuse/hard drugs (always jobless and live on SSI for a long time) and then commit suicide due to perpetual loneliness.

Here's the pointer for Deaf single men: get over misery and self-pity, learn job skill at vocational school or college (even years-long apprenticeship), try to find work that pays fair or well and work your way up with good reputation and some savings towards vehicle/house ownership.

Get a pet as therapy, like a dog, to help alleviate loneliness and depression (not applicable to rented apartment with landlord's rule; that's why home ownership is recommended). Try to develop confidence by interacting with people socially, both hearing (some) and Deaf. Try to be proactive in social events with the deaf wherever it happens. Change your personality traits to positive from negative.

Don't mope over the past and being lonely/depressed, try to find some ways to redirect negative energy to positive energy such as going out for a walk and relaxing (park, trail, sidewalk, etc), dining on the counter with newspaper read at casual restaurants where employees know you like a family member, and keep connected to family members who care.

As for dating and marriage, it's the game of luck predicated on positive personality (outlook, attitude) and adequate/good social skills (open to communicate, not shy/withdrawn/anti-social), as well as good personal habits/traits that appeal to the other people (hygiene and fashion style).

Without these critical "social life" skills, Deaf single men are "screwed" to perpetual singlehood that is unhealthy (physical and mental), unhappy and miserable, for the rest of their lives or end up choosing the path of accidental OD or suicide.

Sadly, I saw this in other "perpetually single" Deaf male peers, and they look grim, profoundly unhappy, and occasionally irritable/angry. Same with hearing men who are not "lucky" as well. Remember lunatic shooter George Sodini?

Positive, mutual relationship (romance, marriage) do mellow men out (I observed this in male family members).

Without this mellowing effect, these men are likely to be more emotionally unstable/volatile, dangerous and criminally inclined proportionate with frustration and desperation in unvoluntary solitary life. This is combined with minimum wage job (no respect and no chance of promotion) or unemployment depending on SSI to sustain "miserable, pathetic" existence.

That's why the older perpetually single men become, the creepier and more emotionally volatile they are (irritable/angry/irrational thinking), which cause society to reject them further that only push them to the downward spiral that end up in self-destruction.

(this poster is early 30's/male/profoundly Deaf)

That's good question on your thread. My point is off on the thread. For example, there are plenty of fishes in the water. Someone could reel a fish out of million of fishes in the water and it could be like a right guy for a right lady. I don't understand how a lot of deaf men are being jerks or assholes by their ex girlfriends calling. That's how the difference between a deaf guy and a hearing guy on a new girl.

Great topic- Great posts

I think being deaf/HoH does take more "effort" to communicate and compromise if you or your partner is not really experienced with specific "deaf" issues. Those two characteristics of communication and compromise are what makes healthy relationships work. I may not have many friends, but the friends I do have understand who I am and know what I like and don't like (non-captioned movies - bigger social settings, etc.). I like those relationships a lot - even with exes. Of course, it'd be nice to sign with others.

Being somewhat mainstreamed, I think I understand where the "disconnect" is, but I really see it as more of a challenge or a unfortunate circumstance that we have to overcome if in fact deafness does come into play. With some of my exes, it was sort of a joke when we "traded" hearing abilities for sight.

I think I'm much better off with understanding relationships than many other hearing men that I know. Their insecurities may run deeper. One ex-co-worker and I hang out a bit. He's 30, but he's has some very unattractive traits that make women uncomfortable. Which, to me makes sense when he told me he's a virgin. He tries, but he's has some ironclad insecurities. At first, I was surprised, but after hanging with him, I could understand. I keep telling him that he can crash and burn a thousand times and it won't have any effect on him if he's enjoying himself (and not hurting anybody). If there's some sort of misunderstanding, find out what the problem is and thank the person for being honest.

Doesn't matter if you're deaf or not but I think being frustrated/negative won't help your ability to give off a good first impression. Enjoy the adventure, have a few laughs, eat well and let it happen.

deaf girl are prick on deaf boy's brain.
deaf boy are prick on deaf girl's brain

Hearing women, if they "like" deaf man, are typically timid and don't know how to communicate with Deaf single men unless they know some ASL or are willing to interact using pen and paper if Deaf man don't have good lipreading and clear speaking skills.

I totally agree with you. I am hearing and I recently asked a deaf guy out on a date. I am a bit shy and NEVER approach guys..partly due to this shyness and being brought to believe men should approach women. This guy was an unknown friend (someone, I had never met but added as a friend) on facebook. He would always mention in his FB stat's, that he was lonely and bored, and tired of being by himself. With me being new to the Austin, TX and no family here...I felt the same.

When I first thought about asking him out, I will admit I was very afraid of how the communication thing would work out and I was also was worried about him not being interested in a hearing woman with no knowledge of ASL and a black woman at that...yes he is white. But I reasoned like this...the worse thing he could say is no. Soooo...I asked him and he said yes.

Guys, life is too short to miss opportunities, especially those you are unwilling to take based on fear.

No one expressed this sentiment better than Lee Ann Womack in the song called I Hope You Dance...

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth making

Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance

I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance

Dance
I hope you dance
(Dance)
I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder
(Dance)
Where those years have gone
(Dance)

I know this post is chessy...but I made up my mind to stop being a wallflower standing against the wall of life, waiting to be included...

I am dancing :dance: :dance2: and I have a date this weekend :D

Back