Why Is It Great To Be Deaf/HoH?

This remind of my dad and his friend from Cuba. Dad took his friend out on his yacht , and told him not to swim in the water as there were sharks!
The guys got drinking and my dad friend decided to go for a swim against my dad warning! Dad starting yelling Shark, SHARK, it is right behind you, his friend think dad is fooling around, until he looked behind him and see a huge gray fin moving toward him! He swim back to the yacht as fast as he can , and dad try to pull him up but he is big man and they both had a few drinks.
Dad was finally able to pull his friend out of the water! It was a good thing dad friend was not HOH or deaf ! Or that shark would had gotten him!

Um...

If you saw a shark fin coming toward you, it wouldn't matter if you're deaf or not-- you would swim back soon as possible. You stated already that he thought the dad was joking around before he saw the fin.

Can decide whether I want to hear or not. :)

Nature's music. The soothing sound of a flowing creek. Rustling of leaves. Chirping of birds. Cows mooing in the distance. Formation of geese flying above "honking" as they head south. Crickets chirping at night. The swaying of trees high above as you walk in the woods on a warm day. The low rumbling of a small avalanche you see in the distance.

I like being deaf. I love my few deaf friends. We seem closer than my hearing friends. Not just the obvious deafness factor, but we seem more comfortable in one anothers space. We are likely to hug, touch and smile. We look into one anothers eyes and faces. My hearing friends dont always do that.
I like sleeping through thunderstorms, no neighbors parties wake me, telemarketers?? heh. My husbands remote control compulsion does not bother me. Hmm, come to think of it hubby and I get on very well. Few squabbles. I get along with most folks really well and I think it is because due to deafness, I must look at them and pay close attention to them.
Gossip is not a big issue. I dont hear it.
I dont have busy phone days at work. lol
My closed caption on tv makes it nice for everyone to better enjoy tv.
I get to chat face to face on vp (P3) with friends. (love that part)
I learned more about technology.
If hearie buttheads bug me really, really, terribly bad or are overly cruel I do have the deaf card. (used verrrry rarely) Such as in "whut - you deef r whut?" results in my best little old lady look while pointing at both hearing aids and saying Nothing At All. This results in everyone recognizing that the butthead is a butthead, often the butthead himself (or herself).
My dog gives me nose kisses or boops me when someone is at the door. No icky doorbell.
Nonfriends and annoying relations dont bother to make the extra effort to vp or captel me. (this should be closer to the top of the list)
I can mix and match HA decorations with my ear rings and other accessories.
I get to answer silly and fun questions in deaf forums.

Even though I do enjoy hearing the rhythm of instrumental music. In my perspective , sounds aren't necessarily wonderful as sight would be and auditory stress is one of few times I really want to be completely. The only reason I can find it's great to be hoh is the potential to have more attention to visual details and less auditory distraction, but a new problem is feeling sounds which creates some stress too.

I'd like to say something but in the end I get shouted down for being too positive.

Wirelessly posted

The "Right" Alex. ;)

Oooh, made a phonetic joke.

Wonder if anyone will bash me. :hmm:

Oh! WriteAlex has been mad at everyone lately. He will probably calm down on summer break. :dunno:

Um...

If you saw a shark fin coming toward you, it wouldn't matter if you're deaf or not-- you would swim back soon as possible. You stated already that he thought the dad was joking around before he saw the fin.

If my dad friend was deaf or HOH he would not had hear my dad if he was joking or not joking! And that could had cost him his life!

This remind of my dad and his friend from Cuba. Dad took his friend out on his yacht , and told him not to swim in the water as there were sharks!
The guys got drinking and my dad friend decided to go for a swim against my dad warning! Dad starting yelling Shark, SHARK, it is right behind you, his friend think dad is fooling around, until he looked behind him and see a huge gray fin moving toward him! He swim back to the yacht as fast as he can , and dad try to pull him up but he is big man and they both had a few drinks.
Dad was finally able to pull his friend out of the water! It was a good thing dad friend was not HOH or deaf ! Or that shark would had gotten him!

Deaf people have eyes and common sense...well, maybe not all of them.

If my dad friend was deaf or HOH he would not had hear my dad if he was joking or not joking! And that could had cost him his life!

so being deaf or hoh is dangerous to people?

It could be dangerous in not being able to hear in certain circumstances.

Back