Why I don't like most hearing males?

Funny, Here I have only seen one DEAF couple and there is at least one person in every store here that knows ASL. We went to the city just this past week, stopped at subway for dinner and I walked over to McD for my son a Happy Meal. I was ordering from a young black girl and I assume she noticed I couldnt hear and started signing to me ( asked if I was Deaf ) I signed back yes and it all took over from there. There are alot of Hearing folks that know ASL and it really surprised me as I never knew there were so many around us...

Not surprising. An increasing number of ASL classes are being provided in K-12 schools and college contributes to that. :cool2:

Preaching to the choir here.

I actually did not want to reply to that, but here goes.

You said Latin was worthless. I can understand that it is worthless to you as much as makeup is worthless to me. Others find a good use for it, and in some cases it's an imperative tool in their careers. I use ASL daily for my job. It pays me, and quite a few others in my field, very well.

That was my basis for a sad outlook in life. Everything has its time and place.

In regards of the OP, he's partially right. ASL and interpreting classes are usually jampacked with a ratio of like 20:1 female to male ratio. Personally I think it's biological, but not going down that avenue right now.

I should have known better though. Responding to anyone in Texas, outside of Austin... :laugh2:

And exactly how useful would Latin be to the average person? About as useful as ASL correct? Just because YOU use them doesn't mean other people will. I'm sure you realize that, I'm going to assume you're not stupid.

Hmmm Texas jokes. Now I'm wicked offended. Hahahaha you silly person.

*waits to see if wicked is picked up on and clues them into the erroneous assumption* because no one ever moves. You get a D for effort. Sorry try again

And exactly how useful would Latin be to the average person? About as useful as ASL correct? Just because YOU use them doesn't mean other people will. I'm sure you realize that, I'm going to assume you're not stupid.

Millions of others do. That number is growing daily. But the same thing was said about learning Spanish a few decades back. :dunno:

Preaching to the choir here.

I actually did not want to reply to that, but here goes.

You said Latin was worthless. I can understand that it is worthless to you as much as makeup is worthless to me. Others find a good use for it, and in some cases it's an imperative tool in their careers. I use ASL daily for my job. It pays me, and quite a few others in my field, very well.

That was my basis for a sad outlook in life. Everything has its time and place.

In regards of the OP, he's partially right. ASL and interpreting classes are usually jampacked with a ratio of like 20:1 female to male ratio. Personally I think it's biological, but not going down that avenue right now.

I should have known better though. Responding to anyone in Texas, outside of Austin... :laugh2:

If you didn't need to learn ASL for your job would you have learned it?

ambrosia-albums-stuff-i-ve-posted-picture6232t-somethings.jpg

I feel that most hearing males don't seem to respect Deaf Culture.

We have a large Hispanic population in the country. Have you been trying to learn Spanish at all? If not, is it because you don't respect other cultures? Are you too lazy to learn it? If you have no interest in a language and it's not part of your own culture - that's why you don't learn it, it's not a respect thing. I've worked with a number of men that know several languages. It's possible that ASL is not among the languages they've chosen to study is because it limits you to a specific group, some of who eye you with suspicion for trying to learn it and are less than welcoming to people who aren't deaf.

Laura

Learning ASL is a choice, not a must. Even some HOH and oralists choose not to learn ASL.

Not surprising. An increasing number of ASL classes are being provided in K-12 schools and college contributes to that. :cool2:

I have yet to see a mainstream school offer ASL as a second language. Now Special education is different, but they are few in between.... But a majority of the schools are mainstream and dont offer ASL so there IS a BIG gap between that... It is not a MUST to learn it otherwise I would have been in it when I went to mainstream schools ( both private and public ) so its not offered everywhere at all. All the people I met that uses ASL here learned due to they have someone deaf in the family or a friend who is deaf, everyone else went to a community college to learn ASL, same as I have done, because there were no options or resources provided to me growing up.

I have yet to see a mainstream school offer ASL as a second language. Now Special education is different, but they are few in between.... But a majority of the schools are mainstream and dont offer ASL so there IS a BIG gap between that... It is not a MUST to learn it otherwise I would have been in it when I went to mainstream schools ( both private and public ) so its not offered everywhere at all. All the people I met that uses ASL here learned due to they have someone deaf in the family or a friend who is deaf, everyone else went to a community college to learn ASL, same as I have done, because there were no options or resources provided to me growing up.

The high school I went to (mainstream, public) offered ASL as a language--though to be honest, they offered quite a bit of languages that other schools around didn't (I think 8 in all but they may have added more since I graduated 9 years ago)...I've always been interested in ASL (before I learned I was HOH), even as a child, I always thought it would have been nice not to have to speak to people, just sign...I'm not ASL-fluent but I use it for my job in a special education classroom (my job does not require me to know ASL, it's just something that came in handy)

I would love to have ASL in most public schools, even mainstream schools to teach ASL in the classroom to go along with French, German, Spanish and other languages from other countries for any one student to want to learn ASL to communicate with Deaf people.

When I was in mainstream schools with other deaf students, we wanted to learn to sign ASL as ASL was and still is our primary language but the principals and the teachers do not approve of us using sign language for us to learn so that we can use ASL interpreters to help us understand in hearing classrooms. They won't allow it at all. So if ASL is not giving out to the high schools with other languages, then the public schools are wrong to do that for both deaf and hearing students. It is up to the students to make the choice if they want to sign ASL or other speaking languages.

That was why I got frustrated not being able to understand in the hearing classrooms in spite of lipreading which is not 100%, only about 30% that the deaf student can make out and lot of guess work. It was and is still not good to lipread. :(

ASL is now available in DE schools, I believe, as an option to meet the foreign language requirement. My daughter might have taken it in HS if only the university had accepted it for their requirements. My daughter was already taking ASL classes with me at our state school for the deaf.

The OP had not posted anything in 10 days , does that mean they do not like us too?

Yeah, my guess is the OP either...

1) Was trolling (and quite possibly lurking and hoping an argument break out)
2) Can't think of a way to argue back
3) Forgot about his thread

In regards of the OP, he's partially right. ASL and interpreting classes are usually jam-packed with a ratio of like 20:1 female to male ratio. Personally I think it's biological, but not going down that avenue right now.

That's exactly how I took the OP's original statement before everyone started jumping on him for the gross exaggeration and applying it to other languages.

In my ASL 1-3 classes I was the only guy out of 15-20 women. Additionally, in the Deaf meetups I attend, an inordinately high ratio of women:men is pretty common (at least 2:1 or 3:1) for the ASL students that attend. Also, the mainstreaming school I work at doesn't have a single male terp.

Are hearing guys lazy about learning ASL? I don't know, but I'd be curious to see national ASL class enrollment and terp stats. From personal experience I'd certainly be tempted to say that more women learn ASL than men.

Either way ("lazy" vs "disinterest") it's something I've noticed too. And it'd be interesting to learn more about the "why" that's behind it.

Back