Why computer is slow

Swashy

Reaction score
Hello. My older brother's computer is slow and I check for his local disk is have more space. Then what cause computer is slow? It is virus? or other...
My older brother is dumb have free computer from his friend without window xp2 cds. What I told him must have window xp2 cd with tower computer. It will help his computer get like new and fast again. I still search for Window xp2 cheap one.

Can you tell me about why computer is slow what is cause? thanks

Here are a few things that every Windows OS has...

1. Disk Defragmenter
2. Disk Cleanup
3. Scan Disk

Windows XP (and later) will have #3 included with #1.

Basically, it's good to do a Disk Cleanup... then Disk Defragmenter.

Doing a Disk Cleanup first will clean up all the extra hidden junk you have on your computer. These include Recycle Bin, Temporary Internet Files, Downloaded Program Files, etc.

Next, do the Disk Defragmenter. (If there are errors, it will fix it beforehand. For older OS, it will warn you of errors and you can do Scan Disk before trying Disk Defragmenter again.) This will re-organize all files on your computer so that they can be found and run easier and quicker. For instance, you have file types A, B, C, D, & E. (They could be JPG, EXE, TXT, etc). Right now, everything in your computer is like this...

ABEDCDEABCDBEBDCADEAECBEDADCEBDEACEBDCAECB

After Disk Defragmenter is done, it will look like this...

AAAAAAABBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEE

After that's done, your computer should run faster.

Other options are to clean your computer up of spyware. A couple good programs are...

Spybox: Search & Destroy
www.safer-networking.org

Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware @ Lavasoft - The Original Anti-Spyware Company - Lavasoft

They are free. (If you're using this for business, then it costs money to register.)

Once you install them, be sure to update them before running so that they are up-to-date.

This should help. :thumb:

Just buy Mac... j/k

Just same followed what Vampy was suggested.

It's depends on your spec, what's your spec? If your spec is considered as legacy would be more slower for XP, such as Pentium (from first to 4), DDR version of RAM with less than GB and slower HDD speed like 4,200 RPM or less.

I had old PC with Pentium 4 at 2.8 GHz, 512 RAM (probably DDR), Intel Extreme Graphic (much worse than GMA 900) and slower HDD IDE and it's quietly so slower, using Zune software is very unstable, little lagging on Google Earth, bad lags on HD video, browse on Safari is little unstable and play 3D games are so crazy slower, just before I rid it and replaced into iMac.

easy answer... throw computer in ocean and wait for two days. Dolphin will delivery the new improve computer for you.

Hello. My older brother's computer is slow and I check for his local disk is have more space. Then what cause computer is slow? It is virus? or other...
My older brother is dumb have free computer from his friend without window xp2 cds. What I told him must have window xp2 cd with tower computer. It will help his computer get like new and fast again. I still search for Window xp2 cheap one.

I was gonna send you a private message but I see that you don't have enough posts to do that. I have a cd of window xp pro. I might be willing to send it to you for right price. If interested, make an offer.

No, your memory is low? becuase share Hard Disk and Memory, it is Swap (.swp or Vista's "pagefile.sys"), they will slow... you need buy extra memory, won't share hard disk or low, will fast

I test Computer, Pentium 4 2Ghz with 2gb memory fast than Pentium D 2.8Ghz with 1gb memory becuase I look pagefile.sys, Pentium 4 is very low, than Pentium D is very high

Could be a number of things. Without knowing the specs on your computer its hard to say.

Could be it's badly fragmented. Could also be you don't have enough power i.e. processor and memory.

And yes, it could be a virus. I doubt its a virus though. Scan the computer anyways.

Back