Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are certain decisions that parents and children make together and then there are are others that you the parent make for YOUR child especially when there are timelines. There are some who say leave the child alone and thats fine for your own children but don't look down on parents who do implant their children. It's a choice and who's to say which is right or wrong? I would say the parent of THAT child.You can't tell a parent that their doing the wrong thing just because your against it.Thats your belief and thats fine. If your child is born not being able to walk, not a life threatening thing but still it has it's limitations and there was surgery to help your child walk, would you deny your child the ability to walk? Or are you going to wait until the child is old enough to make that that decision. I would think not. For those of you who say it's not the same thing, it is the same. they are both not life threatening limitations but they will both help your child in making life a little easier for them. This is 2007 and the technology is out there and getting better everyday.

........... If your child is born not being able to walk, not a life threatening thing but still it has it's limitations and there was surgery to help your child walk, would you deny your child the ability to walk? Or are you going to wait until the child is old enough to make that that decision. I would think not. For those of you who say it's not the same thing, it is the same. they are both not life threatening limitations but they will both help your child in making life a little easier for them..........

When the parents of that child were also unable to walk, they would say:

"Look at us. We're doing fine, and we want our child to be able to experience the same as we are experienceing......"

"Look at us. We're doing fine, and we want our child to be able to experience the same as we are experienceing......"

The same as meaning to hear the same as you? as a hearing person?....

If your child is born not being able to walk, not a life threatening thing but still it has it's limitations and there was surgery to help your child walk, would you deny your child the ability to walk? Or are you going to wait until the child is old enough to make that that decision. I would think not. For those of you who say it's not the same thing, it is the same. they are both not life threatening limitations but they will both help your child in making life a little easier for them. This is 2007 and the technology is out there and getting better everyday.

I was born with hip dysplasia. If I hadn't had the 2 surgeries that I needed when I was a toddler, I wouldn't walk. I am very glad my parents made the decision for me to have those surgeries. I am glad my parents did not deny me the ability to walk. Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to say it.

I am wondering if this whole "letting the child choose" debate has to do with the difficulties of a deaf child being able to adapt to the hearing world? Like with someone who gets surgery to make walking, seeing, or anything related possible, there are no issues of communication. When parents expect the deaf child to adapt fully into the hearing world and for some reason that deaf child is unable to accomplish that goal, their language gets delayed and as a result, learning how to read and write becomes a struggle for them. I think that is what deaf people are angry about..the lack of access to a full language. Being able to walk, see, or other physical improvements have none of the language and communication issues. I think that is why there is no debate about giving children surgery to correct those other physical limitations.

That is what I am wondering here..I know for myself, I get discouraged whenever I see deaf children starving for communication or language access at their homes. Yesterday, one boy at my school told his teacher that he wishes he could live at the school on the weekends. That says a lot doesnt it?

^ got a good point there Shel90 ;)

I am wondering if this whole "letting the child choose" debate has to do with the difficulties of a deaf child being able to adapt to the hearing world?
Not for me. My curiousity about that debate is more about when a child is capable of making such a choice. Lets face it, the decision for a CI is not an easy one even for an educated adult. I have been a child and I have children both hearing and deaf and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams having a discussion with a child on the complexities of such a decision and feeling confident that the child actually has the capacity to process and comprehend the implications. Personally I don't think a child would have that ability until they were 18 or older and even then, that would depend on how well educated they are at that age.

Not for me. My curiousity about that debate is more about when a child is capable of making such a choice. Lets face it, the decision for a CI is not an easy one even for an educated adult. I have been a child and I have children both hearing and deaf and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams having a discussion with a child on the complexities of such a decision and feeling confident that the child actually has the capacity to process and comprehend the implications. Personally I don't think a child would have that ability until they were 18 or older and even then, that would depend on how well educated they are at that age.

I am referring to Lucia's post about her getting surgery as a child so she can walk.

I am wondering if this whole "letting the child choose" debate has to do with the difficulties of a deaf child being able to adapt to the hearing world? Like with someone who gets surgery to make walking, seeing, or anything related possible, there are no issues of communication. When parents expect the deaf child to adapt fully into the hearing world and for some reason that deaf child is unable to accomplish that goal, their language gets delayed and as a result, learning how to read and write becomes a struggle for them. I think that is what deaf people are angry about..the lack of access to a full language. Being able to walk, see, or other physical improvements have none of the language and communication issues. I think that is why there is no debate about giving children surgery to correct those other physical limitations.

That is what I am wondering here..I know for myself, I get discouraged whenever I see deaf children starving for communication or language access at their homes. Yesterday, one boy at my school told his teacher that he wishes he could live at the school on the weekends. That says a lot doesnt it?

:gpost:

I am referring to Lucia's post about her getting surgery as a child so she can walk.
Im sorry, I saw no indication of that from your post. My bad. :( Either way, my response would be the same.

I was born with hip dysplasia. If I hadn't had the 2 surgeries that I needed when I was a toddler, I wouldn't walk. I am very glad my parents made the decision for me to have those surgeries. I am glad my parents did not deny me the ability to walk. Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to say it.
Your post is FAR from off-topic...
In fact... it's SPOT ON!!

I am wondering if this whole "letting the child choose" debate has to do with the difficulties of a deaf child being able to adapt to the hearing world?......

..........Personally I don't think a child would have that ability until they were 18 or older and even then, that would depend on how well educated they are at that age.

Reading your posts I realised something really important regarding the "letting the child choose" argument...

It is not fair to let the responsibility be with the child... And that is what happens when the parent "let the child choose". It is diverting responsibility away from themself as parent to the child. Rejecting responsibility, avoiding it.

The parent should take the responsibility and say
"I want my child to grow up deaf. Therefore, I choose NOT to operate."
THEN, only then, you take responsibility. And that is what being a parent is all about....

The same as meaning to be deaf the same as you? as a deaf person?

The child is born or became deaf and I gotta agree with Cheri's point in another thread about the child still going back to being deaf when the CIs come off at night. Isnt what the whole point is? The child is deaf ..we are not implanting the child to make him/her deaf, right?

The child is born or became deaf and I gotta agree with Cheri's point in another thread about the child still going back to being deaf when the CIs come off at night. Isnt what the whole point is? The child is deaf ..we are not implanting the child to make him/her deaf, right?
True, but a while ago I started a discussion on defining "deaf".
I liked my example with closing my eyes... I cannot see, but I'm not blind...

For Lotte, she hears the whole day. Sound is not a stranger to her. It's a companion.
She takes off her CI, and the sounds go away. But not the experience...

For me a definition of deaf can be...
- born without the ability to hear.. - then she's deaf and allways will be.
- not able to hear.. - then she is not deaf.

What would you consider a good definition??

How about the actual definition.

deaf -er, -est, noun –adjective
1. partially or wholly lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing; unable to hear.
2. refusing to listen, heed, or be persuaded; unreasonable or unyielding: deaf to all advice.

Funny because definition 2 applies to all kids hearing or deaf.. The parents out there know what I am talking about.

True, but a while ago I started a discussion on defining "deaf".
I liked my example with closing my eyes... I cannot see, but I'm not blind...

For Lotte, she hears the whole day. Sound is not a stranger to her. It's a companion.
She takes off her CI, and the sounds go away. But not the experience...

ok..so means Lotte doesnt need those strobing lights for alarms or smoke detectors that were made specifically for deaf people? What happens at night when there is an emergency and she cant hear and u cant get to her? I would hope that u realize that she still has deaf needs and there are still issues like emergency situations that needs to be addressed. I am not saying u are wrong for getting her an implant and wanting her to experience as much as she can. However, if I am wrong..correct me, I get the feeling that u dont recognize her other deaf needs like the emergency issue if she doesnt have her CI on. While she is sleeping, she will still need those strobing lights and stuff. That is why I get furious with parents cuz they say their child got a CI therefore their child is hearing and do not need any of the deaf assistance devices. The truth is..they still do need them. If I assumed wrong about u, let me know. I am just trying to see where u are coming from and I hope u see where I am coming from.

How about the actual definition.

deaf -er, -est, noun –adjective
1. partially or wholly lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing; unable to hear.
2. refusing to listen, heed, or be persuaded; unreasonable or unyielding: deaf to all advice.

Funny because definition 2 applies to all kids hearing or deaf.. The parents out there know what I am talking about.
LOL... yes... All children will fall in category #2.. Actually, me as well.....

But... will a child born deaf, with CI, fall in category #1.. Most of her time she is able to hear, most of her time she is not deprived of her sense of hearing.....

So, what about deaf..

Not able to perceive enough sounds to be able to use it for communication using hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back