Whoa! Mt St Helens is at it Again

Mt. Helens is in Washington? Think Sequoias will be in trouble.

But, but, I saw "No Swimming" signs posted there! LOL! J/K...bad joke!

Tousi said:
But, but, I saw "No Swimming" signs posted there! LOL! :shock: J/K...bad joke!

I think, Meg did not see the sign "No Swimming". She is probably in mud wrestle with Miss Pinocchio... :lol:

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Mt. Helens is in Washington? Think Sequoias will be in trouble.

Mt St Helens is 50 miles from Portland, Ore and 2 hours from Seattle.

Sabrina said:
I think, Meg did not see the sign "No Swimming". She is probably in mud wrestle with Miss Pinocchio... :lol:

Oh gawd...dont say that again ....*shuddering *...... :eek:

Awwww, Sabby, look what you did; Meg just barfed her lunch!

Meg said:
Mt St Helens is 50 miles from Portland, Ore and 2 hours from Seattle.

Huh? oh?

How come Mountain in California ain't erupted yet? I would like
to see one happen in California. :popcorn:

Just kidding.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Huh? oh?

How come Mountain in California ain't erupted yet? I would like
to see one happen in California. :popcorn:

Just kidding.

We already got enough shit going on here. The last thing we need is an eurpting volcano in California. :ugh:

Check this out!!!!

Shasta, California
Last Updated: 10 July 2000

Shasta from the southwest. Shasta, 40 miles (65 km) south of the California-Oregon border is the second highest (14,161 feet, 4,317 m)mountain in the Cascade Range. The volcano is composed of four overlapping andesite eruptive centers all visible in the photograph. The oldest center is the Sargeants Ridge cone, located on the strongly eroded lower slopes of Shasta, was active about 450,000 years ago. Misery Hill, on the northwest flank of the Sargeants Ridge cone, was active between 15,000 and 20,000 years ago. Shastina, the prominent cone on the west flank of Shasta, was active around 9,200 years ago. The Hotlum cone is the youngest eruptive center and forms Shasta's summit and the north and northeast flanks. Hotlum cone was active only a few centuries ago.

Diller Canyon, the prominent canyon on Shastina, funneled a large pyroclastic flow about 9,230 years ago. This pyroclastic flow covers the ground now occupied by the town of Weed.

Shastina (12,330 feet, 3,759 m) from high on Shasta. Shastina is made up of mostly andesite flows and several dacite summit domes.

Shasta from the north. The hummocks in the foreground are debris avalanche deposits from Shasta that are between 300,000 and 380,000 years old. These deposits cover an area of 260 square miles (675 square km) in the Shasta Valley and occur over 45 miles (70 km) from the volcano. Estimated volume of the deposits is 10 cubic miles (45 cubic km). The hills rise up to about 300 feet (100 m). This was the most recent debris avalanche at Shasta.

Over the last 10,000 years, Shasta has erupted on average once every 800 years. During the 3,500 years the volcano has erupted about once every 300 years. The most recent eruption may have occurred in 1786 A.D.

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/california/shasta.html

Does that mean it will erupt in year 2085? :eek:

I live near Mt. Shasta. If it does erupt by then, thats ok. Ill prob be living sumwhere else :lol:

The last volcano erupted in California was in 1913 or 1917. It was Mt. Lassen that erupted and it's been sleeping since then. Mt. Shasta has been dead for thousands of years or maybe less.

I wonder if hawaiis volcanos are stable? In the past 2 years more volcanos erupted than 10 years of the 1990s.

the volcano on big island of Hawaii is still in eruptive state. It's been erupting since it woke up in 1983 or so. It's been spewing lava and creating acres of new land, it's in Hawaii Volcanic national park, it's always active with lava tubes, lava flows, steam vents, etc.

ravensteve1961 said:
I wonder if hawaiis volcanos are stable? In the past 2 years more volcanos erupted than 10 years of the 1990s.

ravensteve,
the volcanos have been erupting since and still erupt also spewing so far which it is in Big Island (one of Hawaii islands). I have seen it alot of times and its so beautiful I ever seen when it spew and saw lava.. When I lived in Hawaii and someone mentioned to me and I decided to go and see there myself and its so beautiful..

PurrMeow

My parents live in Vancouver, Washington, just north of Portland, Oregon. So far, I haven't heard of anything going crazy from there. They have the view of the southern portion of Mt. St. Helens from their backyard. :popcorn:

Was watching the local newshour show .. saw a clip of Mount Helens eurpting...whoa big cloud floating from that.. very interesting sight... wont that be a hoot if that was made as a desktop background?? Or so??

PurrMeow said:
ravensteve,
the volcanos have been erupting since and still erupt also spewing so far which it is in Big Island (one of Hawaii islands). I have seen it alot of times and its so beautiful I ever seen when it spew and saw lava.. When I lived in Hawaii and someone mentioned to me and I decided to go and see there myself and its so beautiful..

PurrMeow
I mean when will it explode?

ravensteve1961 said:
I mean when will it explode?

Meowpurr and me already answered ur question, when will you listen?!! When will it explode? what kind of question is that? :P Volcanoes are UNPREDICTABLE and no one knows when and how big their eruptions will be. The hawaiian volcanoes are not explosive type ones, they're silent type that just oozes out with lava splattering out of the surface of the crust or vents.

I hope that answers ur question....pfffft

Back