Who gave you your sign name?

Video! I bet you have a webcam at your work. I am sure that your work have a program that webcam can convert it into video. so i can see what you were trying to tell me. :giggle:

I have no webcam at work but I do at home. sit tight! :cool2:

I do not have sign name story to share...but this leads me to remember....when I first worked in college with Deaf kids in rec. program, there were Deaf staff and hearing staff working together. At time I was very new to it and most of us were 17, 18, 20 or so - I may have been the youngest at 17. Many of the hearing staff were excited at this first exposure, including myself, and asked <not something I suggest looking back on it> for sign names. That was first year...I worked there several years and learned a lot and did not ask again, but each year new college students came in and a common ques. was - can you give me sign name?

since we are discussing giving of names, I think about my late zayde, who carved my Jewish name on a wooden plaque that I still have It hangs on wall. He presented it during synagogue ceremony then. My zayde was furniture maker and butcher. Even though I certainly don't remember the ceremony and he died when I was very young, this is one of my favorite thoughts about him.

Why not ask for one? Or am I oversimplifying?:hmm:

Is that something you are supposed to ask for? I was always kind of under the impression that people give it to when they know you well enough/feel you need one or have earned one. Is that not right?

For Frisky!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7PT5obuto]YouTube - For Frisky[/ame]

all criticism is welcomed! I'm still learning ASL so correct me if I did it wrong or whatever.

*it's a video of me signing for Frisky Feline - "HELLO!!!! My name is Jiro. I know you LOVE cats. so..... your name sign is (I would do cat sign in a slightly revised way - palm out with 3 fingers for letter M touching my skin above my lip and then slide down which makes my hand a Y-sign (because I have semi arthritis-like hand). While doing that - my mouth says "MEOW" - alternatively, you can use M-sign on your lip and then slide it down but my hand is stiff which is why I have my palm out). I think that is a good name for you. yes?? correct?? smile. SEE YA!!!!"

Ha. that's so cute. I did click on the replay a several time. It gives me some time to get familiar with your way of signing for who you are. Hey that' so awesome. gimme more time to check your sign skill since you ask for criticism. your sign is fine if i didnt read your lips then i would think it s "why". but i can read your lips knowing it was meow. But i sitll like it.

Ha. that's so cute. I did click on the replay a several time. It gives me some time to get familiar with your way of signing for who you are. Hey that' so awesome. gimme more time to check your sign skill since you ask for criticism. your sign is fine if i didnt read your lips then i would think it s "why". but i can read your lips knowing it was meow. But i sitll like it.

yep it is "why" sign. I should do it with M-sign but my poor hand is stiff. :lol:

I am getting use to the idea of signing my name. i did say "mj" while i sign it. either it works with meow or mj. lol! you sign purrretttttty good and your facial expression is so cute but right.

I am getting use to the idea of signing my name. i did say "mj" while i sign it. either it works with meow or mj. lol! you sign purrretttttty good and your facial expression is so cute but right.

:ty:

My family is deaf and I didn't get my sign name until a friend of my sister created the name based on my personality/favorite item. Typically deaf families will more likely let their kids get sign names from their friends but, I have known of some that do get theirs from their deaf families and eventually their friends and end up having more than one sign names. Some do have different sign name for different friends, but, It doesn't happen often. There is this "unwritten rule" that does not allow for hearings to give out sign names to other people, however...I think there are exceptions. No one will get killed for doing it though. CODAs can. No one will make a mole hill out of it either, that I am aware of.

Sorry for so many questions, but do people have a different name sign for each group of friends that they have or each different Deaf Community they get involved in?

Thank you very much for your answer. Normally, I would use the term "Native American", but used Indian because of your statement about being a COWI.:giggle:

I am 64 years old. For most of my life there was only one kind of Indian in America. Then a large enough segment of the population from India grew up in the U.S. to confuse the issue. For a while the term American Indian was used but many objected to that as "We are not the property of America."

I personally have a problem with "Native America" because I grew up in a time when whites used the word native as a synonym for "savage" or "heathen", all of which they called Indians.

We moved around a lot. In one place where tensions between Indians and whites were particularly high some of the white children had a nonverbal sign name for me meaning "halfbreed" -- They spit at me.

Hence...

First Nations or aboriginals.

Canadians prefer to use aboriginals to include the Inuits and Metis (part French, part native.)

I may ask -what you like to be named? Many people I've met don't like "Native American", but don't mind "Native American Indian", or because they just grew up with "American Indian" or "Indian", don't mind that. Other First Nations individuals I've met don't mind or prefer just "Native American". I sometimes do use "Native", also do "First Nations", "First People" or aboriginal....also like to use say actual nation <Blackfeet, Ho Chunk, Dine...> or tribe < Apache, Peqout, Salish....> because there is great tendency in U.S. to lump everybody together as "Native American", "Native American culture", "Native American spirituality", which is not the case, there are many cultures, many religions.
also I wonder if the term of preference is related to generational....

I may ask -what you like to be named? Many people I've met don't like "Native American", but don't mind "Native American Indian", or because they just grew up with "American Indian" or "Indian", don't mind that. Other First Nations individuals I've met don't mind or prefer just "Native American". I sometimes do use "Native", also do "First Nations", "First People" or aboriginal....also like to use say actual nation <Blackfeet, Ho Chunk, Dine...> or tribe < Apache, Peqout, Salish....> because there is great tendency in U.S. to lump everybody together as "Native American", "Native American culture", "Native American spirituality", which is not the case, there are many cultures, many religions.
also I wonder if the term of preference is related to generational....

Cree Militant is Bebonang, I love that!

Cree Militant is Bebonang, I love that!

:ty:, Botts. Me, too. As for the names of what we wanted to be call. Many tribes or First Nations people have different ways to be called Aboriginal or Indian or Native American. Most of us really want to be called by our tribal (band) name. Like for me, I would prefer to be call Cree but I am also part of Cherokee (I do not have very much history from my father, but very strong in Cree history and traditional ways from family in Canada which is the reason why I moved up here to find my roots). My husband is Ojibwe and he can be call as Anishabwe (I hope I got that spell right). This is who I am. Yah, right on! :cool2: :D

I am 64 years old. For most of my life there was only one kind of Indian in America. Then a large enough segment of the population from India grew up in the U.S. to confuse the issue. For a while the term American Indian was used but many objected to that as "We are not the property of America."

I personally have a problem with "Native America" because I grew up in a time when whites used the word native as a synonym for "savage" or "heathen", all of which they called Indians.

We moved around a lot. In one place where tensions between Indians and whites were particularly high some of the white children had a nonverbal sign name for me meaning "halfbreed" -- They spit at me.

How horrid!

Hence...

First Nations or aboriginals.

Canadians prefer to use aboriginals to include the Inuits and Metis (part French, part native.)

Many people assign a negative connotation to "aboriginal" as well. Equate it with "uncivilized" or "backward".

My best friend Christina has given me a sign KL when I was in 6th grade... and ever since, I've been using KL for my sign name but then when I entered into HS, my deaf friends has changed it to KLW as there's another deaf girl that has same name as I do... but everyone knows my last name easily so they use W at the end to show which one of us they're talking about. So I use KLW as my sign name.

Back