Who gave you your sign name?

When we talk about signing as a "language" with all the inherent properties that entails (morphology, phonology, grammar, etc.), sign language is created, sustained, and developed by the native signers of the group (whom are almost always Deaf).

Now, perhaps you are talking about prehistoric times? I've heard this theory hypothesized--that the human capacity for language evolved before the vocal folds, and thus prehistoric humans communicated using sign language. I have not seen much evidence for it though, but I'd be curious to learn about it. Seems very plausible. However, there is an opposing theory as well that claims the vocal folds evolved first, thus creating the capability for language.

More to the point, I would think, is when Broca's area developed in humans. As both vocal and visual communication are processed in this area it is reasonable to assume they both developed at the same time.

When we talk about signing as a "language" with all the inherent properties that entails (morphology, phonology, grammar, etc.), sign language is created, sustained, and developed by the native signers of the group (whom are almost always Deaf).

Now, perhaps you are talking about prehistoric times? I've heard this theory hypothesized--that the human capacity for language evolved before the vocal folds, and thus prehistoric humans communicated using sign language. I have not seen much evidence for it though, but I'd be curious to learn about it. Seems very plausible. However, there is an opposing theory as well that claims the vocal folds evolved first, thus creating the capability for language.

I am familiar with the theory. Actually, more than a developed sign language, it was just a gestural language, similar to what hearing infants develop prior to speech: pointing at an object that captures their interest, etc.

Ah, yeah... sorry,

I means when you go to tattoo parlours, people trust the Asians because they MUST had been culturally Japanese or Chinese... when they never grew up in their parents' home country. Or when an American stay overseas in Japan for two years, they somehow think they are automatically eligible to give people kanji tattoos.

Now, for CODAs, I am not entirely sure if they are allowed to or not. I have seen some do it, but again sometimes I am not even sure if they are fluent ASL students, CODAs or they are actually ARE deaf unless I ask them myself.

Ah, yeah... sorry,

I means when you go to tattoo parlours, people trust the Asians because they MUST had been culturally Japanese or Chinese... when they never grew up in their parents' home country. Or when an American stay overseas in Japan for two years, they somehow think they are automatically eligible to give people kanji tattoos.

Now, for CODAs, I am not entirely sure if they are allowed to or not. I have seen some do it, but again sometimes I am not even sure if they are fluent ASL students, CODAs or they are actually ARE deaf unless I ask them myself.

If I wanted to stay out of that issue, I would just ask someone I know and trust to be knowledgeable about Kanji and bring the Kanji to the tattoo parlor and tell them to tattoo that character.

But that's my point is that CODAs and Deaf people and maybe even interpreters are often just as fluent in ASL as the other so I don't see why only Deaf people should be allowed to give sign names.

If it's about having to be Deaf in and of itself, or both fluent in ASL AND Deaf, then it makes more sense. It just seems that if fluency is what people are after, then Deaf people aren't the only fluent signers.

If CODA's are Children of Deaf Adults then I am a COWI -- Child of Wild Indians.

In the culture I was raised to as a young child a name was something people used to talk about you when you were not present -- And it was rude to use that name in front of the person -- Sort of like talking about a person as though they are not present when they are.

I very seldom use a person's name when speaking to them.

Why should I? Are we so stupid we are looking at each other and neither one of us knows to whom we are speaking?

deaf name signs

i go to grove city christian high school and im currently taking ASL 2 with Mrs. Nan Haynes. last year we went to OSD (ohio school for the deaf) and someone i forget his name gave me my sign name. since my name is grace and i have long hair it discribes my hair with a "g" handshape.

I Love the Deaf community :D

HA this is one of my favorite stories to tell.....
When I was in HS
there was a new girl in school, she was very cute!
I was very interested and wanted to meet her.
After a few weeks I discovered she was Deaf.
I studied how to meet signs....
I became friends and yes we dated for a while.
I was very curious and kept asking questions about Deaf culture, and how you sign.......
Noticed she had established sign names for our friends.
One day I asked"whats by sign name"( my name is Troy BTW)
she showed me a T shaken(sign for toilet)
ME- clueless, thought COOL I HAVE A SIGN NAME!!!
one day met other deafies and introduced myself .... spell out T-R-O-Y , sign name TOILET.....deafies laugh....me confused
so later learn sign for bathroom and LAUGH MYSELF
been 17-18 years ago still LAUGH MYSELF =)

ROFL!! Troy, that is such a cute story!! Love it!

I got my sign name just recently from my friend Kathy, who is deaf. I have recently had the wonderful experience of attending a few deaf events, that also included those of us learning ASL. I love going to these! I had met Kathy a few times and she gave me my sign name. (I'm told she loves to do that. Ha ha!) My sign name is the letter L, with the thumb touching at the temple, and again at the chin. She said it's because my name is Lauren and I wear glasses! Ha ha!

Troy (ASLtees) knows my name sign... he just did me a custom tee shirt with my sign name on it! :dance2: I'll have to post a pic soon of me wearing it.

If CODA's are Children of Deaf Adults then I am a COWI -- Child of Wild Indians.

In the culture I was raised to as a young child a name was something people used to talk about you when you were not present -- And it was rude to use that name in front of the person -- Sort of like talking about a person as though they are not present when they are.

I very seldom use a person's name when speaking to them.

Why should I? Are we so stupid we are looking at each other and neither one of us knows to whom we are speaking?

Interesting. Does that hold true for most of the Indian cultures? I was not aware of that particular cultural difference, but that information would certainly be useful to me in dealing with clients of the Native American ethnicity.

Interesting. Does that hold true for most of the Indian cultures?

No. Or at least I don't think so. My mother, not full blood herself, associated with a mixed group who were like minded and a bit radical. They were bound by the belief that white culture, and white religion, was not for them.

Navajos for sure. I have no Navajo blood, it is Cherokee, Choctaw, and possibly Comanche, but someone in the group married a Navajo, there were several around. I was influenced by their ideas at an early age. One thing that impressed me was they were the only ones who actually spoke their own language. The rest spoke English, many spoke Spanish, and a few spoke French. But on the whole white rules and white culture had erased the native languages of the other groups.

Interesting. Does that hold true for most of the Indian cultures?

I thank you for this question as it recognizes something I have a hard time explaining to so many people. "The Indians" is a misnomer: there were at least 500 tribes when the white man landed here, and at least 2000 offshoots. It would be like saying "The Europeans" and no one explains if they are talking about French, Italian, German, or or.

... that information would certainly be useful to me in dealing with clients of the Native American ethnicity.

I think it would be insightful to ask any Native American how traditional they are and if they replied "yes" to ask how they feel about naming and names.

My mother had a name for me only she and I knew.

I was talking about these things with a group one time and I turned to the only other person with Indian blood, he is full blooded, and asked him how he felt about any of these things -- To which he replied: "I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I was raised Pentecostal."

Berry and ADers, we do have a naming ceremonies for native people who want to have a names given by medicine man or shaman. It usually a baby or a young child getting a new Indian name. Names can be changed twice or more often for their personalities or type of weather and animals. Nowadays, we don't have that anymore or it might be hidden so no one knows about our traditional names. For me, I have never been given a traditional name from the medicine man or shaman, maybe because of my deafness. :dunno: I was given my white name (first and middle names) from a Catholic priest in Minnesota USA. It would be nice if I had a traditional name. I don't think my husband has a traditional name either, even if he had live here on the Rez for all of his life. Weird, eh? :hmm:

My two deaf buddies I met back in 1995 gave me my sign name, wavy "Y" starting at the top of my head to my shoulders bec of my wavy hair.

Back in the day, and I mean waaay back in the day, I assisted midwives. (bear with me here) hahaa! There was a young Mexican woman who gave birth to her first sweet little girl. Since this was the first child, and was a citizen, the family wanted to give her a US name. An auntie came by with a US dictionary. They studied that book a loooong time. Finally - PAH! No joke...against all good advice, would not listen to anyone, they named that baby ... Vagina. No joke. True.

And that boys and girls is why only someone who really and truly knows all aspects of the language and culture should give you a sign name. My CODA friend was also a terp. He studied the lanuguage after growing up bilingually. If not, then like Troy, you could be named "toilet". Or Vagina, or Pizza... hahahha.

I dont usually use my sign name since my name is only 3 letters long. I usually just spell my name.

Back in the day, and I mean waaay back in the day, I assisted midwives. (bear with me here) hahaa! There was a young Mexican woman who gave birth to her first sweet little girl. Since this was the first child, and was a citizen, the family wanted to give her a US name. An auntie came by with a US dictionary. They studied that book a loooong time. Finally - PAH! No joke...against all good advice, would not listen to anyone, they named that baby ... Vagina. No joke. True.

And that boys and girls is why only someone who really and truly knows all aspects of the language and culture should give you a sign name. My CODA friend was also a terp. He studied the lanuguage after growing up bilingually. If not, then like Troy, you could be named "toilet". Or Vagina, or Pizza... hahahha.

I think, and I'm just going to put this out there, that naming your child "Vagina" might be grounds for a Social Services intervention. J/K. Though seriously, I would probably love my mom a little less if, from all the words in the dictionary, she chose Vagina.
I agree with you about someone needing to the know the culture in order for them to be best equipped to give sign names. I know, if I ever get one, that I'd rather it come from someone within the community. Otherwise, it seems kind of less meaningful.

That girl can always make it into a nickname "Gina" short for Vagina!

Wow! This thread is absolutely fascinating! I have always been interested in sign names and how they come about!

I dont see any problem with CODAs or even terps giving sign names! I think the most important thing is that you know the person very well, and they are a good friend.

I dont have a sign name (probably because I am hearing) but if I ever did get one I would feel so honoured and want to shout it from the rooftops, please share some more stories of how yours came about...

It depends on the community though.

I know the one I was raised in, interpreters weren't allowed to assign sign names.

Isn't "vagina" the same word in Spanish? I think these parents may have knowingly named their kid "Vagina."

Wow! This thread is absolutely fascinating! I have always been interested in sign names and how they come about!

I dont see any problem with CODAs or even terps giving sign names! I think the most important thing is that you know the person very well, and they are a good friend.

I dont have a sign name (probably because I am hearing) but if I ever did get one I would feel so honoured and want to shout it from the rooftops, please share some more stories of how yours came about...

:werd: And I would add, that you know ASL very well.

My mom gave me a sign name when I was baby. :)

Just use your "J" fingerspell hand and put your "J" hand on your forehead, and then move down to your chin for "J" letter. That's means "beautiful". That's my mom's idea. :)

Back