which would you choose? job or school?

Which is more important in my case?

• School

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Work

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Good for you! I was hoping you would go that route. Being Relay interpreter, I seriously think it is a good choice. Especially if you are staying in the interpreting field, they are saying in order to get RID certification you will have to have a degree in the not so distant future.

Do what I did. I worked at Boston College full time and got my Master's going part time in the evening.

It was free and convenient. I made lots of friends in various grad programs because I was a secretary.

It was a very good thing. It took me longer, but heck, I was getting a very good paycheck every Friday, and a very good education, so what did I care if it took me four years instead of two to complete it. Good pay, good education, and good times. I recommend it to anyone. If you have spouses and kids, colleges usually let them go for free too. At BC, employees could go to school as soon as they started working at the college, and after 5 years, if they were still there, their spouses and children could go free too.

I think I heard somewhere that Notre Dame will let employees' kids go to any Jesuit College in the country and they will take care of it. Boston College, Notre Dame, I think Merrimack College, I think Loyola. I don't know if they do that now, I hear that a few years ago and benefits change.

You just have to make sure classes you need are offered in the evening so that it doesn't interfere with your workl schedule.

Degrees are NOT always required for RID certification. Very common terps that gets RID certification without degrees are those truly CODAs.

Bwani32 said:
Good for you! I was hoping you would go that route. Being Relay interpreter, I seriously think it is a good choice. Especially if you are staying in the interpreting field, they are saying in order to get RID certification you will have to have a degree in the not so distant future.

well im starting work tmw for first time and im starting school for first year too on sept 6th so im doing both... my work knows abotu it and seem to accept it. i seem to not have a problem with it.... i worry more about myself handling both at same time after so long not going to school or work.

Cental and Spice,

Good luck to you both. Look at education as an investment in yourself that will provide benefits for years to come. Keep your chin up both of you.

diehardbiker65 said:
Yea, that is WHY most employers were very selective when it comes to hiring. When you go out look for job, the FIRST IMPRESSION will have the employers making the judgement BEFORE they hire you. Then first few months, just keep yourself brown nosing with them (That is one little serect). You will sure climb up faster before you realize!

Anyway, those with rotten attitude may stay with company, but won't last WHEN company goes into "Survival" mode. What does "Survival" mode really means, it means that company is undergoing massive cost cutting and restructure, and often this includes massive lay offs. Those with rotten attitude is almost ALWAYS first to go! I have seen enough already. I went though 4 MAJOR rounds of lay offs and was spared.

Speaking for union shops, that is TOTALLY different issues, and that is why I am opposed to unionized shop.

Get it. Thanks :thumb:

Back