Which SPF is safer?

AquaMaiden

Reaction score
Since summer is around the corner, do you use sunscreen spf? If so, which numbers are the best to protect your skin. I hear SPF 15 is best, some says 30 is better. I'm not so sure since I have so sensitive skin aka irish pale skin so I just want to play it really safe. Anyone who knows about those stuff, pleeeeeease explain! Thanks!! Just wanted to get it all cleared up before I end up roasting myself! :dunno:

The higher the number, the better the protection. I think thats how it works. Do go for the waterproof kind if you're constantly in contact with water or you sweat a lot. It also depends on how badly you burn. I've got a little (very very little!) olive skin in me, I burn and then I tan, maybe 1-2 times and then thats it. I would use spf 15 or lower, if possible. Location is always a factor too. I burned to a crisp after I moved from MN to CO, because CO is higher in elevation than MN. So if you dont want a tan or a burn, go for spf 45 or higher :)

I use SPF 45 - I have olive skin and tan very easily so I don't need a low SPF, I prefer to protect my skin. Also, if you want to prevent burned faces, wear a baseball cap to protect the skin on your face (it will also help prevent wrinkles, or less wrinkles) And use a different sunblock on your face than on your body, some face care products have SPF 15, which is what I use. (the skin on your face is different than the rest of your body) :afro:

Also, always put sunscreen on 30 minutes before you go outside, your skin starts to burn as soon as you go outside and still put it on even if it is cloudy outside because the sun will still burn you through the clouds.

(New Zealand has a hole over the ozone layer so it was drummed into me on how to better protect myself from skin cancer and sunburn) :ugh:

I use SPF 15 since I have an olive skin complexion. I get tan very easy. My skin gets tan in 30 minutes at least. :)

I agree with Pinkster! ---The HIGHER the numbers shown on the bottle , the better protection for your skin!...I try serveral of them in case one doesn't work then I know what works better for my skin! :D

I get sunburn at first then tan later!...

I am using my spf 45 when it is necessary. I just bought baby lotion for my kids. It has spf 60+ I hope that bottle is telling the truth. :dunno:

Since a month or two, I have been using sunblock lotion for my hiking. It also depends on how long you are outside. I use SPF 30, but I should really use a higher SPF since my skin is also white as pale and sensitive. Kiwi is right, its better to wear a hat or cap to protect your head because you obviously cant put sunblock lotion on your scalp through your hair. Also, it is important to keep applying sunblock lotion to your skin like every hour if you are wet, or maybe like every 2 hours or so if you're dry. Don't just put one coat of sunblock and go outside all day. You still will burn because the sunblock lasts only for so long.

Hmm... so the pale your skin is, the higher your spf number should be, right?

My mom told me she watches on t.v. about that, Doctors said from 15 - 50 are all same. but under 15, it s different.

I went to the Keys in Fla in April, and use 45 spf.. I got burned! cuz of all of the water all around the island reflected the sun..

It depends on your skin and how much tan you want to get from the sun. The higher the SPF, the less you will get tanned. Some people get it just low enough to stay out longer but not get sunburned badly.

Back