Which one is better, Phonak Naida IX UP or Oticon Chili 9:

prsweeney

Reaction score
I am going to get new hearing aid soon. Anyone out there have any like or dislike about either of these two hearing aids above?

How many channels does the Phonak have, do you know?

Maybe I should start a new thread, but also wondered - is anyone familiar with Sonic Innovations hearing aids? One model has 24 channels. I know number of channels doesn't necessarily mean it's a better aid, but it's certainly intriguing.

Maybe I should start a new thread, but also wondered - is anyone familiar with Sonic Innovations hearing aids? One model has 24 channels. I know number of channels doesn't necessarily mean it's a better aid, but it's certainly intriguing.
Have no idea.

If I were you, I would go with the Oticon Chilli since they're the hottest dish on the market LOL
this hearing aid comes in with the streamer which is the remote control that has bluetooth, lets me listen to my ipod and audio source and will let you charge the battery on the computer :)
I had worn Oticon hearing aids since January 2005 and I'm still wearing them BUT I got one of the state of the art Oticon hearing aids which happens to be the Safari 600 (pediatric verison) and they work pretty well for me.

BTW, the chili takes size 13 batteries

What's the difference between the pediatric version and the adult version? Just the size?

What's the difference between the pediatric version and the adult version? Just the size?

well my Safaris takes a size 13 while some other Oticon Safaris may take a 312 battery :)

here's the info on the hearing aid that I have!
Oticon

there's also other hearing aids that looks similar to mine
there's the Ino, Agil, Acto, Epoq, Hit, and the Vigo (all BTE verison)

since yours is severe, go ahead with the Chilli and you'll have fun with them and the streamer.

I'd recommend that you try both ... what is "the best" for some person may not be for someone else - even if they have identical audiograms.

It's always a good idea to try a few makes and models for a few weeks each to see what works best for you.

Different makes and models "sound" different ... and people often prefer the "sound" of one HA over another one -even if they hear equally well with multiple HAs.

It's a lot like buying cars ... there are a number of highly respected brands and models - in the end each user needs to find the something they can afford, that suits their needs, is reliable and that "fits them" the best ... it's the same with hearing aids :)

Do you know if there is any objective source that rates hearing aids? I've always just gone along with whatever the audiologist comes up with, although I have been somewhat demanding about follow-up appointments to fine-tune them.

But from reading here, and clicking on some of the ads that pop up, I've really seen a lot more options than what I was previously aware of.

I don't think my audi would be thrilled about ordering 2 or 3 different pairs of $$$$ hearing aids for me to experiment with, though.

I have never heard of many channels for hearing aids. No, I have never try the Phonak. What matter is that it is just hearing aids, no big deal. :roll:

I have no idea, I don't even know much about my own hearing aid

I'm happy with the Phonak Naida IX UP myself. I tried an older Oticon digital last summer (the Sumo), and I didn't care for it. I've always worn Phonak hearing aids so I'm used to their products and is just what I prefer.

Definitely speak with your audiologist and see if you can try out the different hearing aids. Then you can compare them, and decide which ones work best for you.

Do you know if there is any objective source that rates hearing aids? I've always just gone along with whatever the audiologist comes up with, although I have been somewhat demanding about follow-up appointments to fine-tune them.

But from reading here, and clicking on some of the ads that pop up, I've really seen a lot more options than what I was previously aware of.

I don't think my audi would be thrilled about ordering 2 or 3 different pairs of $$$$ hearing aids for me to experiment with, though.

If you have to be demanding about follow-up fittings, you need a new audi.

Also, a good audi should have no trouble letting you trial as many as needed to find the right fit. They'll return any that you don't like back to the manufacturer. There may be a restocking fee if you decide you don't like any of them...but it should be one fee (to cover all). It's probably mostly to compensate the audi for the time s/he spent with you and the cost of sending the aids back.

HLAA has a "book" available via it's website that compares HAs Also, on their forum there are "stickies" with links to comparison charts which is updated each year.

Also check out Hearing Aid Forums | Hearing Loss | Hearing Aids - Powered by vBulletin

FWIW, the Naidas are also Bluetooth capable with the ICom and to the TV via the TVLink. I personally have had little problem with the ICom. Sure, there are minor annoyances and the battery life could be better but I manage with charging the Icon at work and at home as needed.

I am interested in how the new Naida S model will fare for current competition out of the stable.

Richard fr Monterey
bilateral sensorineural moderate to profound sloping loss
L 250 35 R 250 40
L 500 65 R 500 50
L 1K 75 R 1K 90
L 2K 85 R 2K 85
L 4K 85 R 4K 90
L 8K 90 R 8K 90

SPEECH DISCRIMINATION R/L 65Db/84
Naida 5 UP, ICom, TVlink, Platronic Voyager 500A BT hub
progress.gif

Last edited:
HLAA has a "book" available via it's website that compares HAs Also, on their forum there are "stickies" with links to comparison charts which is updated each year.

Also check out Hearing Aid Forums | Hearing Loss | Hearing Aids - Powered by vBulletin

Oh, good sources, thanks very much. I wasn't aware of those.

By "demanding about follow-up appointments," I didn't mean in the sense of "You must give me an appointment!" but more in the sense of being picky about the sound. The audi would go up one or down one on some adjustment, say something to test it, I'd say yes or no, and so forth. She is very patient and the office is fine about scheduling follow-ups.

They charge $20 for re-tubing. Is that normal? It's odd; this is my regular audi who charges this, which I think is a lot. There is a hearing aid place at the Outer Banks, where we spend our summers, who will change my tubes for free, and I am not even a customer of theirs, have never bought a thing from them! Difference between big-city prices vs. small-town friendliness, I guess.

Is it legit to name and ask for names of audiologist suggestions here on AD? I think the very best audi I've ever gone to is the one in my home-town, but that is 800 miles away from where I live now. A bit hard to do that commute... But I would like to find one here in the NoVA area who is really up to speed on all new technology. I sometimes think my audi could do better in that regard.

They charge $20 for re-tubing. Is that normal? It's odd; this is my regular audi who charges this, which I think is a lot. There is a hearing aid place at the Outer Banks, where we spend our summers, who will change my tubes for free, and I am not even a customer of theirs, have never bought a thing from them! Difference between big-city prices vs. small-town friendliness, I guess.
I've only worn BTEs for 3-1/2 years now. I've had to pay for new earmolds, of course, but not tubing. I believe some on here actually change their own tubes (I haven't tried that yet myself)

You probably could ask for others to PM you their recommentations for audis in No VA rather than posting names.

Sounds like a plan. I don't know who else is in the greater D.C. area, other than Shel90. Anyone else you know?

I used to change my tubing on my former aids, but these have little metal clamps inside and I don't know how to do that. Nor where to buy the tubing from, for that matter. Or the little foam wind protector thingies.

Sounds like a plan. I don't know who else is in the greater D.C. area, other than Shel90. Anyone else you know?

I used to change my tubing on my former aids, but these have little metal clamps inside and I don't know how to do that. Nor where to buy the tubing from, for that matter. Or the little foam wind protector thingies.

Why don't you start 2 threads. One for finding an audi and another for suggestions on changng your own tubing.

My audi said that Phonak Naida is better than the Oticon. I had brought both up yesterday and she said that oticon is ok but not as powerful as the Phonaks. She said Unitron is better than oticon as well. But for Phonaks you get better sounds and power.

Back