Where did "Hearing Impaired" come from?

somedeafdudefromPNW

Reaction score
I remember on TV, closed captioning was always for "deaf and or hard of hearing." However from 2003-2004 onward, they started using the term "hearing impaired." Even then, when I was growing up I was always called "deaf." It is only in the last few years, people started calling me "hearing impaired."

Why the change in attitude? Is it because of the baby boomers losing their hearing or what? I have always wanted to know, but never got a solid answer.

I have no idea why it is "hearing impaired" anymore. It seems that deaf and hard of hearing is more politically correct, but I always thought of myself as hearing impaired because that's what my hearing parents and hearing audiologists called me and I never thought much of it. I do remember bringing up the term and describing it as calling people whom are deaf and hard of hearing as "broken"... but I've never really found it offensive. I do try to discourage people from saying it now because I know that other deaf and hard of hearing people do find it offensive.

I guess the term was brought up as a more technical term than hard of hearing or deaf. I really don't think there was need for a new term, though.

it's politic incorrect, deaf want to label us as deaf instead than rather being hearing impaired which they think it's dork and lame medical term for doctor.

Well Hearing Impaired is sort of Political Correct, theyv just started moaning if your not PC so Im guessing why they have started saying hearing impaired. But if you know what you prefer to be called, tell them and let them know

Hearing Impaired is more of a medical model view on deafness.

Some of us will answer to anything, lol, lol....

* shrugs *

Just wanted to know where it originated from. I know it has been around for awhile, but the shift in demographic in the recent years regarding media is... strange how they would switching from using "deaf and hard-of-hearing" to "hearing impaired." Looking around, I am finding speech-based books using this as a technical term in the 80s.

I was just wondering if the older D/deaf would remember when the term was first being used, and when they remembered it becoming a widespread useage. So, I wasn't sure if the politically correct model used in everyday language was because of the onset of the baby boomer generations. It's just bizarre to me that people, referring to the general public here, switched from "deaf" to "hearing impaired" in the last 10 years in their daily vocabulary.

Maybe it's because Canadians are not as politically correct as Americans are, and we are only just beginning to catch up. :lol:

Honestly, where it orginated from..I don't know. I would assume in the medical field somewhere..

Good question, though. Hopefully someone has the answer. :)

Honestly, where it orginated from..I don't know. I would assume in the medical field somewhere..

Good question, though. Hopefully someone has the answer. :)

This is just an opinion, but I'm wondering if it wasn't first a polically correct term that the medical community got their hooks into and ran with?

This is just an opinion, but I'm wondering if it wasn't first a polically correct term that the medical community got their hooks into and ran with?

I always thought the phrase was coined in an attempt to appear polically correct so one could appear to be sensitive to others.

I always thought the phrase was coined in an attempt to appear polically correct so one could a[[ear to be sensitive to others.

Exactly my thoughts. Because you also have other similiar terms as "mobility impaired", ect. Personally, I'm for calling a spade a spade, so this politically correctness nonsense really grates on my nerves.

I believe it came from the 2nd to last WHO terminology whereby people were identified by impairments, disabilities, and handicaps. Impairment referred to the physical "dysfunction" or limitation, disability referred to the effect of the impairment on physical function, and handicap referred to the limitations conferred by societal issues. So for my spinal cord injury, my impairment is quadriplegia, my disability is unable to walk, and my handicap is that I can't enter the courthouse/restaurant/etc because of physical barriers such as stairs, or attitudinal barriers like ignorance.

way back in the 1970's i believe the switch was made from deaf to hearing impaired in the height of mainstreaming where intensive hearing aid use in schools was widespread. I *think* back then deaf is equated with sign language in as so that as a mark of 'failure' on oral terms. So hearing-impaired became somewhat a shared terminology between audiologist and TOD's of this epoch. it is like they didnt believe people should be 'deaf' as too close to being language-less and /or dumb, the double d's - deaf and dumb. A kind of attempt to phase out these use of those terms. Indeed by mid-70s (1974 to be exact) an attempt to canonise a new term with a capital D - Deaf, was the first of the kind to play with words in attempt to define what IS deaf people all the while pulling the lid on the 'intra-deafs' conflict and struggle stemming from a form of elitism in which attached to the scale of ability in English, this is the language of the hearing, especially spoken English and even literancy in educational environments and outside. Humperies went on and added another term - Audism which stood for this.
Hearing impaired was a way of describing a potential of a deaf person to become 'hearing like' this description was widely encouraged as a 'new way to percieve' deaf people in so to consider they are not 'dumb', that is the word 'dumb' connects with the abstaince of spoken language ability. Again this has a looooong history, probably dates back to mid 16th century in one form , and another goes further back to Aristoles philosphising of humans and animals in relation to language. Aristoles was the first person to create an idea that deaf people were dumb, because they were lacking language. The sign language was aplenty even in those times, but all the while never understood it as a language per see. All this began to change with William Stoke 'made' the discovery of grammerical structures and rules in the 1960's, he was an English teacher- and hearing. Moreso when he discovered this, all the cohorts hearing AND deaf never believed that sign was a real language!! since even deaf people all this time for decades, centuries has been taught that sign is NOT a language !!

So, ok all I am saying I would think so strongly that hearing impaired as a term may have originated somewhere in the 1960's as a 'scientific term' and then used widely while administrating stern oralist mainstream programmes.

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts. Because you also have other similiar terms as "mobility impaired", ect. Personally, I'm for calling a spade a spade, so this politically correctness nonsense really grates on my nerves.

Ditto here. When I'm around hearing who don't know much about the Deaf community, I may refer to myself as hard of hearing as the word deaf seems to scare them. With everyone else, I say I'm deaf.

it's politic incorrect, deaf want to label us as deaf instead than rather being hearing impaired which they think it's dork and lame medical term for doctor.

yes that is correct, it is from medical term. :pissed: I REALLY hate that term "hearing imparied". I told my agency please remove that terms due to respect for the Deaf employees.

Our ears are not broke !

hearing impaired sounds like hearing language impaired, thats another way of saying we are still incapable of learning hearing languages, thus also implying we're socially inept as we were "proven" why we are not capable of using full hearing and speaking languages.

Back