when was deaf culture 'discovered'

Very interesting thread and question too. I may just teach my 3rd graders some of these facts about Deaf culture.

I think that would be a wonderful idea! After all, its their history and their culture. But then, I think more African American history should be taught in the public schools, too....not just to the African American children, but to all children! It would cerainly change a lot of persepctives.

I think that would be a wonderful idea! After all, its their history and their culture. But then, I think more African American history should be taught in the public schools, too....not just to the African American children, but to all children! It would cerainly change a lot of persepctives.

Deaf culture is taught at my school but this question, I believe, has never really been brought up.

(My gmail acct is having problems..I couldnt reply to your email but I got your email. :ty:)

Thought I might chuck thisbut ok its not about culture, in for a good yarn......
but one could argue denial of a histroy is a denial of culture

We have been called deaf-mutes, mutes, objects of charity, deaf and dumb, semi-mutes, dummy, and now, hearing impaired. We have been described as 'the most misunderstood among the sons of man.' Some of us are deaf and some of us are Deaf. Some of us use American Sign Language and some of us do not. This exhibition is our untold and largely unknown history. It is American history…Through Deaf Eyes."
—Jack R. Gannon
Curator, 2001

Deaf culture is taught at my school but this question, I believe, has never really been brought up.

(My gmail acct is having problems..I couldnt reply to your email but I got your email. :ty:)

Thanks for letting me know!:ty:

Thought I might chuck thisbut ok its not about culture, in for a good yarn......

We have been called deaf-mutes, mutes, objects of charity, deaf and dumb, semi-mutes, dummy, and now, hearing impaired. We have been described as 'the most misunderstood among the sons of man.' Some of us are deaf and some of us are Deaf. Some of us use American Sign Language and some of us do not. This exhibition is our untold and largely unknown history. It is American history…Through Deaf Eyes."
—Jack R. Gannon
Curator, 2001

Jack Gannon is very insightful. I love his work. And it is a very appropriate quote that you have used. In order to understand, one must indeed attempt to see things through deaf eyes.

I love Jack Gannon! He was also super-nice and seemed very sharp-eyed in person when I met him.
I like this quote... dang yes, I find it so important to keep records of experiences from all walks of life

—Jack R. Gannon
Curator, 2001

Thanks for the book recommendations. LOL about beg, steal and borrowing..
I have read Harlan Lane's When the Mind Hears in HS. of course, I didn't appreciate having to read stuff in HS as I do today so I'll reread that. I also feel that the Deaf art movement - DeVIA - is very good, since it provides a perspective on experiences as a Deaf person visually. It was amazing and a honor to meet Deaf artists from all over the world at Deaf Way II when I worked as an artist liasion and gallery docent.

Yup, got your replies, Jill, and Liza, Buffalo, Soz Ive quieten down recently,as too busy its mad in here.

Liza, you're right on the money there ' I do believe it is a bit biased to only record these events in history, as I am sure there are many rich history accounts from a Deaf perspective - but I think there is a strong oral tradition, like some cultures in the world I guess.'
you should beg, steal, or borrow for Paddy Ladd's new book "Understanding Deaf Culture - in search of Deafhood" abundent discussion on the need to re-write deaf history
Harlen Lane's when the mind hears is still worthy, its here to stay, its a record of the subtle and not-so subtle conflicts leading up to the Milan Ban.
There's an old saying:
"History attempts to provide society with an artificial collective memory." Mark M. Krug,

and another three,

"More history's made by secret handshakes than by battles, bills, and proclamations" John Barth

and

"History is past politics, and politics present history." John Robert Seeley

AND
"A lot of history is just dirty politics cleaned up for the consumption of children and other innocents." Richard Reeves

Buffalo, I might email them But I think I got plenty to use here (and more years ahead to develop further) but Yes I shall do that next time, just I reached a point where getting more information would force me to re-route and re-organise the essay's entire layout, too time-consuming (making contact with who, in Gally is another half the battle, so not this time, as I need to establish a relationship with another academic in gally in order to do this)

Jill, everytime I see your replies , its ALways from a psychologist POV, I dont mind it at all, its just kind of cool, and refreshing to see in a in ohter ways how people help people, in this case to help addressing the problems caused by oralism, first wave and second wave alike.

Must go back to study now, I just chimed in , and really loved all your helpful and freindly support and sharing of your time and knowledge

:ty::ty:
now have to go back to work .....:pissed:
Grum

I know that Socrates know about deaf and decided that deaf people are not quite human.

Socrates was better than Aristotle.
340 BC Socrates is reported to have said to his students, "If we could not speak, we would talk with our hands, head and other parts of the body, like deaf people".
and,

Aristotle spoke of deaf people having no language, therefore the deaf and dumb,
HOWEVER I just found out something startling here!! ;

" if Gannon did his homework, as in investigate the definition of the words in its historical context, rather than presume the current meaning has never changed, then he would not consider it a negative label, or at least intended to be more than merely descriptive. The word “dumb” in Old Engliish means “silent or unable to speak.” That there are negative connotations is a recent phenomenon; the word “dumb” acquired the meaning of low intellect only after the infiltration of the german dumm, and the earliest english use of “dumb” in the “stupid” context is 1823."

so, sorry to those Gannon's fan, but yup. I still liked his insight, just maybe be a slightly flawed, as aren't we all ?
but then again,
from another source.....

Those who are born deaf all become senseless and incapable of reason

which one is right??!
(my guess is both, but would like to see a really good clever answer to this, but right now I am supposed to do other research....)

Politics? More like the hearing people were setting policies on deaf people like the deaf-mute are not allowed to inherit. Not allowed to marry and have children. Not allowed to take communion in the Catholic churches. Decided that Deaf people are not quite the same as human. I guess the Deaf people have been reacting to all of this.

yeah something like that there's tons of the out there, just bloody lawyers dont tell us, until its time to 'tell us why we can't OR if there's a good one will put on a good fight for you, however those kinds [of] lawyers are rare...

again I'd love to know more, but not right now, but I will.. and when I do , I will share

U know, I vaguely remember the discussion/mention of the phenomenon of deafness as far back as in the days of Socrates.....

Oooops, sorry, Grummer; I didn't see your post right above this. :Oops:

thanks for that Kaitlen

I actually have some of those Books here

Lennard Davis's has great observations, but sometimes very elusive compared to 'mainstream disability or deaf culture politics' but then better analyses are always harder to seive through.

I like Marian Corkers' books, she so damn good too.
Not everybody is going to share my enthusiasm about Davis or Corkers.
I applaud for their utter blunt and savvy ways in being critical. I feel too many writers just want to write too conservative with "safe ideas" so in my opinion they're wimps.

Many thanks to you Kaitin

Oh I dont mean quanititive research, they ARE boring I meant really far-reaching concepts and/or really good discussion like it doesnt matter if dissecting 'cultural' concepts isnt treated as taboo. To me daring plays on ideas is better than polishing on conventional ideas.

Thanks Kaitin for the book list. Some of them sound interesting. I am going to see if I can borrow any of them from the library first. I gotta watch my budget, you know!

YW, Grummer, DeafSkeptic, and Buffalo.

Some books in these links are whole I think - no need for libraries, Buffalo.

I am interested in some, but others were :confused:. I need a subject for independent studies Humanities credit assignment paper. I hate Humanities and tried Humanities credit approval for Applied Higher Math. My advisor said "No! Applied Higher Math is Math!" Then Environmental Biology. "No! Biology is Biology!" :laugh2: I like teasing my advisor. Now maybe I write on part of US deaf culture history. He would be happy I think - more than Humanities credit for Physics! :D

Kaitin, You can't read the whole books there. Some pages were withheld. :(

Buffalo, it doesnt matter much you still get an idea if thats the book you really want, or not.
Paddy Ladd's book is good, but i agree its way too dense, hard to wade through in fact I think it was poorly organised in the contents, in my opinion.
He must have been in a hurry or something else tells me - maybe he's hasnt had it all sussed, so perhaps he is hoping other people would get motivated and fill in more details in future research. Which could indeed be a good thing, but blarney it is more like a giant note book more than an traditional 'textbook' per se
all textbooks are quite dear, cant escape that fact, unless youre lucky to stumble one or two in used book shops

my 2 cents

Back