When to learn Asl

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
When is a good time to learn to be fluent in Asl. Should it be at the start if you are HoH and still losing hearing or when your at the lowest point of hearing. Like is it easier if you can still hear enough. I no it's different in a way if your born deaf orbits it just as hard?

Why would it be easier if you could hear? Good ASL courses are taught by Deaf instructors, voice off.

Hearing has nothing to do with learning ASL.

Why would it be easier if you could hear? Good ASL courses are taught by Deaf instructors, voice off.

Hearing has nothing to do with learning ASL.

I was thinking of it almost like speaking Spanglish when people first start out they mix English and Spanish so I was wondering if you speak with it you'll catch on maybe. Idk

I was thinking of it almost like speaking Spanglish when people first start out they mix English and Spanish so I was wondering if you speak with it you'll catch on maybe. Idk

English and ASL are completely different languages.

If you mix them , you no longer have ASL.

You need to learn ASL as a different way of thinking.

The best time to start is now. Now is much better than later. The degree of hearing loss makes no difference as to when you should start.

I think I'm just trying to get out of the mind set that I won't really need it since I can still sorta hear when reality is I will need it.

I'm just starting to learn. My hearing is ok at this point, especially on the higher frequencies, but my low end leaves a lot to be desired. I guess that's unusual to loose low end first?

I'm just starting to learn. My hearing is ok at this point, especially on the higher frequencies, but my low end leaves a lot to be desired. I guess that's unusual to loose low end first?

No. It's common in conductive losses.

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, I can say that it will be better for you to learn ASL in a voice-off class, preferably with either a deaf instructor (best choice) or a CODA.

If you learn ASL the proper way (voice-off), and not depend on any pidgin signing, you won't have to unlearn any bad habits later.

It might seem more difficult at first but in the long run you'll do much better to learn it right the first time.

Don't put it off. Even if you feel that you don't "need" ASL yet you'll be ahead of the game by becoming bilingual. After all, do people wait until they are on the plane to France before they learn French?

Once you become fluent in ASL, if you want to add speech to your conversations (maybe in a mixed group), then you can but not before. It will hinder your fluency.

Best wishes to your learning! :)

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, I can say that it will be better for you to learn ASL in a voice-off class, preferably with either a deaf instructor (best choice) or a CODA.

If you learn ASL the proper way (voice-off), and not depend on any pidgin signing, you won't have to unlearn any bad habits later.

It might seem more difficult at first but in the long run you'll do much better to learn it right the first time.

Yes that is going to be the way I want to learn I feel it would be useful cause I'll have no choice but to learn how to communicate with no voices. I'm going to try the Indiana school for the deaf on Monday seeing if they have free classes for deaf or HoH.

Back