When kid can sit front?

damienmommy

Reaction score
I try to find the information on google.com about when kids can sit in the front seat in the car?

I seen many different answers.

My son is 3 half years old, He's 40 lbs, 4'2 height. He's really tall for his age. Also, he's deaf. I am tired of it when he went crazy and have no patience when he tried to talk to me while I was driving. I keep told him to wait. When few cars around, I will move the mirror to him and let him talk to me through mirror. Also, He won't stop scroll window down, unbelt himself sometimes. I had to stopped and parking..several times. I really want him to sit in the front so it's easier for me to watch him that he don't unbelt himself or stop him from scroll window down. Outside is really cold! Not good for my daughter who is almost 3 months old.

I try to find the information on google.com about when kids can sit in the front seat in the car?

I seen many different answers.

My son is 3 half years old, He's 40 lbs, 4'2 height. He's really tall for his age. Also, he's deaf. I am tired of it when he went crazy and have no patience when he tried to talk to me while I was driving. I keep told him to wait. When few cars around, I will move the mirror to him and let him talk to me through mirror. Also, He won't stop scroll window down, unbelt himself sometimes. I had to stopped and parking..several times. I really want him to sit in the front so it's easier for me to watch him that he don't unbelt himself or stop him from scroll window down. Outside is really cold! Not good for my daughter who is almost 3 months old.

[Improve]
From Oregon.Gov:

"Oregon law requires that:

* Children weighing less than 40 pounds be restrained in a child safety seat.
* A child under one year of age or weighing less than twenty pounds be restrained in a child seat, rear-facing.
* Children over forty pounds but under age eight or less than 4' 9" tall be restrained in booster seats that elevate them so the lap/shoulder belts fit correctly.

While it is not Oregon law, it is strongly recommended that children aged 12 and under ride in
rear seating positions. Research indicates that such rear seating reduces the risk of injury by
37 percent for that age group. For help with child safety seats, refer to the seat manufacturer's
instructions, vehicle owner's manual or call ACTS Oregon Child Safety Seat Resource Center
at 1-800-772-1315."
WikiAnswers - When can a child sit in the front seat in Oregon

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/safetybelts.shtml

This one says they should be 13 years old

When I was young I sit front seat 5 years old that time That was 15 years ago.

For something they change law so now it 12 or up can sit front.

dameinmoomy- I know how u feel. with 3 kids they keep me busy on the road. I have to press the lockout button so they cant move window down. they have to ask me to do it. heheh. the problem with the law of kids age/weight thing is the crash issues due to seat belts. the car manufacters only makes it to fit 5'6" average person. anything lower, the seat belt has less chance to protect you. if you are a adult and seat belt for shoulder goes too close to neck, you will need to get the clip to hold it down further.

Milwaukee, yeah me too. I was about 5 years old and sit in the front.

Radioman, Yeah..ur lucky to have lockout button. I don't have it. But now I'll get van on Monday, and give car back to stepmom that I been borrow since a year. I hope van will be better.

Even if he's large for his age, at his height and weight, an airbag deploying would likely kill or severely injure him. Regardless of if your state has a law regulating it, you should not allow your child anywhere near the front seat for another solid nine or ten years.

In Canada, the law states that children have to sit in the back and on their own individual booster seats. Weight does play a role. My nephew is 4 and still has to have his own booster seat.

Ontario (in effect September 1, 2005): children must ride in a booster seat until they are:
a minimum of 4 feet, 9 inches (145 cm) tall, or
a minimum of 80 pounds (36 kg), or
a minimum of 8 years old

An older child must use a booster seat until he/she reaches a certain weight. To sit in the front, he/she has to be 12 years old and reaches a certain weight. If a child is 12 years old and has not surpassed a certain weight, he/she has to sit in the back. It's all about safety.

When can my child ride in the front seat of the car?
Children 12 years and under are safest in the back seat-away from front air bags. Once your child fits in a seat belt correctly, he should use the lap and shoulder belt.

Safe Kids Canada

In Canada, the law states that children have to sit in the back and on their own individual booster seats. Weight does play a role. My nephew is 4 and still has to have his own booster seat. [/URL]

Of course, same with USA..must use booster seat at age of 4 too. My son is still use the booster seat. He's 3 half.

Do anyone know if any store have thingy for lock the belt? My son always unbelt himself to try to talk to me by tapped my shoulder. He wouldn't stop doing that.

My mom said I should buy lock the belt but where can I find that?

My son's bus, They let other kids sit on seat with belt..But they won't let my son sit with normal belt. He must use the special belt that he couldn't unbelt it. Because last time, he unbelt and walk around in the bus while man was driving! My son think it's cool and show off to kids..Kids wanted to do same but don't know how to unbelt it. Ahh..now driver forced my kid to use special belt..He hates it..

I think you are talking about the 3-point seat belts as I have worked with group home clients as well as daycare children. They come in very handy!!

The 3-point seat belts were actually designed for car race drivers until someone saw how handy they would be for some children who cannot stay sit in their car seats.

Children do not like this because they just cannot break free from this.

551_large.jpg

My son wanted to sit in front but he cannot..he have to wait few more years... He is almost 9 so he got 3 more years then he can sit in front. He is out of booster seat since he was 7. Now the law changed recently...till 8 years old! NY state allow kid sit in front at age 12 or older.

The 3-point is an addition to the current seat belt your son uses.

The 3-point is the extra clasps that even the mischievous children cannot undo.

The bottom lock goes in top lock goes in first, bottom lock goes in second and then the other top lock goes in. It is a puzzle lock that children cannot undo because once they try to undo, it makes the seatbelt much tighter. It will restrain them in tighter and this causes children to realise the more they play with their seatbelt, they are being pulled back inside their seatbelt.

The children will figure out and end up fussing, fighting with the seatbelt and end up crying. The 3-point is usually used as a last resort I must advise you because if you are in a car accident, *knock wood*, it would be very difficult to pull your son out of his car seat as you would be very emotional and shocked at the same time.

You may forget which lock to pull out first, etc. This lock I would get because I am DeafBlind and I would not want a child to get out of their car seat when a driver is focusing his/her attention on the road and be startled. He/she could swerve the car and I have to assist with the children with very limited vision.

My son is 3 1/2 (Will be Four in Jan), and he's 44 pounds, 4'3 tall.... and he's still using Booster seat, but the law in Washington said that the kid has to stay in the back seat until age of 12... that's what I think. Sorry Damionmommy that you're having trouble with this... perhaps you could speak to him about safety of having to stay in the booster seat, with the seatbelt on? I explained to my son, that it's dangerous if he sits upfront or if he doesn't have seat belt on because he's small and it would kill him if we got into accident. He gets the serrious of it.... he doesn't undo his seatbelt until after I parked the car.

here what you do, you pull over and you tell your son that you are going to stay there as long as you can until he keep his seatbelt on. Everytime he take it off, pull over. It worked for our son as he didn't like being stuck in one place with nothing to do. He was around that age too when I did that (he learned how to take off his safety belt)

Back